Thread: Video capture card Vs Tivo extraction

Post Video capture card Vs Tivo extraction

Dear all
    I am looking into buying a tivo to speed up the process of copyiong files to my computer from TV insted of using a low end capture card
    is the picture going to be any better or is it about the same as analong capture?

NOTE This is not a DTV unit its SA2

Can anyone tell me how long it would roughly take to pull 60min of show over a 100mbps network? as currently its a 1:1 1hour show - 1 hour of time yuck!

Thanks
    Jer

It really depends on the quality in which you record it and the configuration of your network components....

but at "Best Quality", it's about 10 minutes an hour. Then you have to add processing time to get it to mpeg or dvd format...

Settings

I would record at high so i can get 480x480 res
    how long does the converting take to MPG??? does it have t encode it etc?

Thanks
    Jer

I have one of these video capturing device, the quality is very good. Audio/video is always in sync. To me, it looks as good as the source.

That is the other thing, unless you are capturing real-time, you need to record the tv program somewhere first (VCR/Tivo..etc) before you can capture it. Then a hacked Tivo will save you a step.

I think the SA Tivo records in mpg2 format using internal mpg encoder? But it may not be very clean, and needs some processing after extracting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer
    I would record at high so i can get 480x480 res
    how long does the converting take to MPG??? does it have t encode it etc?

Thanks
    Jer
    Its already mpeg2 encoded, all the extraction does is pull the native stream (which is mpeg2 inside but is mux'ed differently) and converts it (basically a remux) into an mpeg2 system stream (the normal mpg file) or if you want you can go to a vob stream (what is on dvd). Through the whole process the video stream is NOT transcoded and so is identicle to the original. All that happens is everything is repackaged. Read through the tytool threads, they cover the topic a couple different times as JDiner has done a great deal of reading and experimentation with the different stream formats.

BTW to convert a 1 hour show from tystream to mpg system stream (or vob stream) takes maybe 15 minutes if you have a reasonable speed hard drive. Processor speed has very little affect on the transfer rate as the whole process is mostly a file copy.

EDIT: Also as JJBliss stated it would take somewhere around 10 or 15 minutes (in addition to the coversion time I listed above) to pull the file of the tivo. This means in about 30 minutes you can take the file out of the tivo and make it into an mpeg. If you want to edit out commercials (easy to do with tytool) then you have to add the time for you to mark the commercials in to that. Basically it takes me far less than 1 hour to extract, edit and convert a 1 hour show. Big time savings over doing the process with a video capture card and the quality is "perfect" meaning its identicle to the original tivo playback.
    Last edited by malfunct; 05-26-2004 at 07:40 PM.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)