Thread: Why keep the phone unplugged if killinitrd is running?

Why keep the phone unplugged if killinitrd is running?

I am a bit confused about the roll killinitrd plays. After pouring over as many threads as I can find on the subject, I gather that it keeps hacks from being overwritten by an update to the OS. If that is the case, why does the telephone need to be unplugged?

I prefer to order PPVs via the remote (in my NRTC area they charge an extra $5 to order via the web or phone, and in any case it is more convenient to use the remote), but would like to keep everything I need for extraction active on the box.

2.5.2xtreme is currently running on the box, and I have run ps aux but find no sign of killinitrd. TIA for any info/advice.

Quote Originally Posted by rfc
    I am a bit confused about the roll killinitrd plays. After pouring over as many threads as I can find on the subject, I gather that it keeps hacks from being overwritten by an update to the OS. If that is the case, why does the telephone need to be unplugged?

I prefer to order PPVs via the remote (in my NRTC area they charge an extra $5 to order via the web or phone, and in any case it is more convenient to use the remote), but would like to keep everything I need for extraction active on the box.

2.5.2xtreme is currently running on the box, and I have run ps aux but find no sign of killinitrd. TIA for any info/advice.
    The initrd is a little "script" of sorts that runs after the kernel is loaded. One of the things that it does on the tivo is to verify that the root filesystem doesn't have any "unauthorized" files and that the authorized files have not been changed. If you kill the initrd (on the series 2 you make it 0 bytes if I remember correctly) then it doesn't run and thus doesn't verify the filesystem which allows you to make the changes.

It has nothing to do with OS upgrades other than the fact if you do upgrade you will have to kill the new initrd that gets installed. The hack that prevents automatic upgrades is an addition to the boot parameters (something like AllowUpgrades=false although I know for sure that is incorrect, but the correct parameter is listed all over this site). The only reason you absolutely shouldn't call in on the phone to tivo is if you have a version of tivo OS installed that never shipped for your machine. The big example of this is 4.0 software on the series 2 DTivo machines.

In short there shouldn't be a problem with having the phone plugged in however there are other things that could prevent PPV from the remote from working and I'm not sure of the details to explain it to you.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by malfunct

It has nothing to do with OS upgrades other than the fact if you do upgrade you will have to kill the new initrd that gets installed. The hack that prevents automatic upgrades is an addition to the boot parameters (something like AllowUpgrades=false although I know for sure that is incorrect, but the correct parameter is listed all over this site).
    Is that what boot299 is? This is a series 1 dtivo (sat t-60), btw.

Put another way, is there anyway to keep an 2.5.2xtremed drive from updating with the phone plugged in?

Put another way, is there anyway to keep an 2.5.2xtremed drive from updating with the phone plugged in?
    Unfortunately I gave you all the detail that I know, you will have to wait for someone with more info than I to explain it. That or you can look it up because I'm certain the info is in a thread on this board.
    Malfunct

you will have to wait for someone with more info than I to explain it.
    Anyone?

Dear sir,

Please be sure to apply the 3.1.0b update as soon as possible so that you will no longer be tempted to steal Tivo service.

Regards,
    T. Closed

Dear sir:

Please don't start with me. I have a fully paid lifetime from Tivo. No need (or inclination) to steal anything.

Regards
    Last edited by rfc; 06-04-2004 at 11:48 AM.

Dear sir:

Please don't start with me. I have a fully paid lifetime from Tivo. No need (or inclination to steal anything). Besides, upon plugging in the phone line, 3.0.1 should come down right away anyway.

Regards
    If you would read the forum I know you would find the boot parameter. I know I could if I didn't think you should learn how to read the threads. Its listed in quite a few places (admitedly more on the series 2 threads) and I even remember it being discussed VERY early in the hacking of series 1 machines so its common knowledge just not on my mind.
    Malfunct

If you would read the forum I know you would find the boot parameter. I know I could if I didn't think you should learn how to read the threads. Its listed in quite a few places (admitedly more on the series 2 threads) and I even remember it being discussed VERY early in the hacking of series 1 machines so its common knowledge just not on my mind.
    Thanks. I'll start some searches from the beginning going forward rather than the end going back.

If it's the same parameter I'm thinking of, a 2.5.2 unit will attempt to re-download 3.1.0b every time you call. This is bad and will probably get your TiVo account suspended.

There are a lot of ways to change the behavior, but I don't see any reason not to be running 3.1.0b.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    If it's the same parameter I'm thinking of, a 2.5.2 unit will attempt to re-download 3.1.0b every time you call. This is bad and will probably get your TiVo account suspended.

There are a lot of ways to change the behavior, but I don't see any reason not to be running 3.1.0b.
    I now see the misleading nature of my first question.

I have no problem with 3.1 vs. 2.5 vs anything else. Let me re-rephrase the question:

On a series 1 Dtivo t-60, is there anyway to maintain (with ANY OS--doesn't matter):

1. bash
    2. networking for extraction
    3. extraction related tools (tyserver, mfs_ftp) etc.

and still have the phone plugged in for ppv purchase via remote control?

I now see the misleading nature of my first question.

I have no problem with 3.1 vs. 2.5 vs anything else. Let me re-rephrase the question:

On a series 1 Dtivo t-60, is there anyway to maintain (with ANY OS--doesn't matter):

1. bash
    2. networking for extraction
    3. extraction related tools (tyserver, mfs_ftp) etc.

and still have the phone plugged in for ppv purchase via remote control?
    yes, you can do that with the current release of the software, which is 3.1.0b.

ronny

Ok, let me see if I got this straight. I have a SD-DVR40 that is running 3.1.1c. I just finished running sleepers ISO and installing tytools, mfs_ftp, etc, and everything works great. Would it be ok for me to leave my phone line connected so that I could still order PPV movies?

I'm guessing it should work ok. Would I have to worry about future software updates that may wipe out all my current hacks? ( i have fixsub running, so I'm thinking that this shouldn't happen).

thanks,
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez

Yes, I'm sure its the same parameter, and you are correct, it would cause repeated downloads of 3.1.0b.
    Malfunct