Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeper Banned

Sleeper Banned

Dear sirs,

I don't know any of the details of the situation. I'm guessing that he finally just pissed everybody off.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...914#post163914

Regards,
    T. Closed

Quote Originally Posted by THREAD CLOSED
    Dear sirs,

I don't know any of the details of the situation. I'm guessing that he finally just pissed everybody off.

Sleeper is on temporary hiatus for personal attacks, cussing out the mods, and legal threats against the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by THREAD CLOSED
    Dear sirs,

Regards,
    He worked hard and earned it, let's just hope he learns from his mistakes.

By hacking the HDTivo he ruffled a few feathers.

Results were posted in the original series 2 dev thread, and this enraged the mods and others who feel the "masses" are not "entilted" to hack thier units. Flames shot out like rockets. Liar, prove it etc. etc. THESE flames were allowed to persist. Then the proof of success was posted. By now the original posts were split, edited, renamed, sewered, then removed completely effectivly burying the accomplishment. He questioned bias, and as we know, don't dare question a mod here!

Someone posted his PM in open forum, and it contained personal information, and no mod removed it, in fact not only was it not removed but it was replied to! Anyone would be upset. He complained and got banned. The entire thread gone without a trace!

A few key people here don't want everyone to be able to hack thier Tivo, The Sleeper ISO has helped thousands and he also has spent a lot of time helping people with troubles. Well the Tivo "GODS" don't like this at all. After all, Sleeper is just a script kiddie who repackaged all thier hard work and is grabbing all the "glory". Now that he has proven his ability to go beyond a script, those who dismissed him now have to face the facts that others are cabable of doing the same thing they are.
    This is an elitist, jealous, childish, and snobbish attitude.

Now mysteriously, there are these new "one post wonders", essentially new accounts created to release crumbs to the public and to bash the credibility of others.

To the "unwashed masses":
    Don't worry, there are others here who can do the work AND are willing to share. The inormation will be public soon enough. Not all developers subscribe to the "entitlement" philosophy.

My feeling is that the only mistake Sleeper made was playing in somebody elses sandbox!

well tiros, while you are entitled to your opinion, I can tell you that as the one who placed the actual ban, you couldn't be farther from the truth. well before sleeper posted, it was public knowledge that a prom replacement would allow access to the unit. most had not tried it for whatever reason, he did, and was successful - good for him. based on the circumstances, he was asked to substantiate his claims, in order to prevent a storm of newbie crap about a hack that didnt exist or was more that what was being claimed. when proof was posted, it was acknowledged as such.

as was stated before, as well as in that thread, sleepers actions crossed the line. he was no longer supporting the hacking community (as a pure prom mod would have been a good thing). instead, he chose to sell a service fully hacking units. if he wants to do that, good for him, but DDB isnt the place for it.

in the end, he got banned for just the reasons that were stated by ADH. he threatened the moderators and the board owner, he was selling a service via ddb which was directly against what DDB is all about (learning to hack your unit yourself), and he was making false or misleading claims in those PMs.

for the record, I personally dont have a problem with people hacking their units, and I am happy to see that there are viable solutions out there for hacking every generation of tivo currently out there. whether people agree or not, prom modding is a viable option, especially if there are community members willing to perform the service (which is allowed by DDB).

some are too afraid or concerned or whatever to attempt to have their $1k unit prom modded, or even mess with the sw. to them i say "enjoy your stock tivo". should tivo hacking be exclusive? not necessarily? should it require some effort? absolutely. its supposed to be fun, and if you dont want to put a little effort in, then DDB isnt the place for you - there are plenty of ebay sellers waiting for your bids. is sleepers tool bad? thats debatable, but I say no its not. bad people use it sometimes though
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Quote Originally Posted by Tiros
    the only mistake Sleeper made was playing in somebody elses sandbox!
    What are the annual costs of running a board like this, approximately? Say expenses (excluding administrative labor) plus 6% of the capital costs.

By hacking the HDTivo he ruffled a few feathers.

Results were posted in the original series 2 dev thread, and this enraged the mods and others who feel the "masses" are not "entilted" to hack thier units. Flames shot out like rockets. Liar, prove it etc. etc. THESE flames were allowed to persist. Then the proof of success was posted. By now the original posts were split, edited, renamed, sewered, then removed completely effectivly burying the accomplishment. He questioned bias, and as we know, don't dare question a mod here!

Someone posted his PM in open forum, and it contained personal information, and no mod removed it, in fact not only was it not removed but it was replied to! Anyone would be upset. He complained and got banned. The entire thread gone without a trace!

A few key people here don't want everyone to be able to hack thier Tivo, The Sleeper ISO has helped thousands and he also has spent a lot of time helping people with troubles. Well the Tivo "GODS" don't like this at all. After all, Sleeper is just a script kiddie who repackaged all thier hard work and is grabbing all the "glory". Now that he has proven his ability to go beyond a script, those who dismissed him now have to face the facts that others are cabable of doing the same thing they are.
    This is an elitist, jealous, childish, and snobbish attitude.

Now mysteriously, there are these new "one post wonders", essentially new accounts created to release crumbs to the public and to bash the credibility of others.

To the "unwashed masses":
    Don't worry, there are others here who can do the work AND are willing to share. The inormation will be public soon enough. Not all developers subscribe to the "entitlement" philosophy.

My feeling is that the only mistake Sleeper made was playing in somebody elses sandbox!
    I could waste my afternoon rebutting your misguided claims, but I've come to the conclusion that you are nothing more than a forum troll, so I will not bother. Suffice to say that we have banned people for committing just one of the 3+ offenses that Sleeper was guilty of, so you should be thanking us for showing him mercy. Despite any philosophical or personal differences we may have with him, we do value him for his contributions and hard work.

YOU, on the other hand, would probably not receive the same favorable treatment. Nearly every single post you write is a critical, egomaniacal rant that makes unprovable accusations, belittles or attacks the audience, and contains zero (0) new hacks. The only thing I've ever seen you "contribute" to the hobby is a bad attitude and an oversized ego.

(Now who does that remind you of?)

MrBlack, I notice you didn't counter this claim:

Someone posted his PM in open forum, and it contained personal information, and no mod removed it, in fact not only was it not removed but it was replied to!

I followed that thread but didn't post in it, since I don't have an HDTivo yet. But I did notice that the PM was posted and replied to, and that mods continued to post on the thread - so they had to know the PM was posted - and yet did nothing.

I don't have a stake in this on one side or the other, but I don't like the idea of mods not having to follow the rules they place upon the community, or being able to selectively enforce the rules depending on whether they like or dislike the "victim".

[edit] Why hasn't this been moved to the Sewer, after now being visited by one person that I know is a mod (MrB) and one that I think is (adh)? The other "x has been banned" threads live there...
    Last edited by Meklos; 06-04-2004 at 03:45 PM.
    Have a question? Try a search first...

Quote Originally Posted by Meklos
    ... but I don't like the idea of mods not having to follow the rules they place upon the community,
    Tough. That's EXACTLY the way it is. Once day, you can be a moderator or administrator and do things based on your own morality, until then, you will play by ours, or leave.

Understood?

Sleeper's ban is temporary, and from my conversations with MrBlack51 it was PRIMARILY for his foul mouth legal threats. I have promised to discuss it with him once his ban has been lifted, and his time in the penalty box is over.

I am sure that things can be worked out.
    Last edited by JJBliss; 06-04-2004 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJBliss
    Tough. That's EXACTLY the way it is. Once day, you can be a moderator or administrator and do things based on your own morality, until then, you will play by ours, or leave.

Understood?

But if I remember correctly, wasn't the offending PM posted by a regular user i.e. non-mod? I can understand, to a point, mods being above the rules - but mods letting non-mods get away with breaking the rules, just because the mod doesn't like the victim of the PM-publicizing?
    Have a question? Try a search first...

Moved to Sewer.

alldeadhomiez is indeed a moderator. I have moved the thread since Meklos is correct and it does belong there. However, please try not to second guess the moderators. The conspiracy theory is unattractive....

But if I remember correctly, wasn't the offending PM posted by a regular user i.e. non-mod? I can understand, to a point, mods being above the rules - but mods letting non-mods get away with breaking the rules, just because the mod doesn't like the victim of the PM-publicizing?

Agreed. That is why the entire thread is now deleted. Vadim found the entire ordeal distasteful, and decided that it needed to go.

MrBlack, I notice you didn't counter this claim:

Someone posted his PM in open forum, and it contained personal information, and no mod removed it, in fact not only was it not removed but it was replied to!
    I followed that thread but didn't post in it, since I don't have an HDTivo yet. But I did notice that the PM was posted and replied to, and that mods continued to post on the thread - so they had to know the PM was posted - and yet did nothing.

I don't have a stake in this on one side or the other, but I don't like the idea of mods not having to follow the rules they place upon the community, or being able to selectively enforce the rules depending on whether they like or dislike the "victim".
    Tiros' statement was intentionally misleading. The only thing the post contained was a very generic company name (no address or contact name), which yields 200+ hits in Google. In addition, as JJBliss stated, the issue was corrected promptly when we received a complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    YOU, on the other hand, would probably not receive the same favorable treatment. Nearly every single post you write is a critical, egomaniacal rant that makes unprovable accusations, belittles or attacks the audience, and contains zero (0) new hacks. The only thing I've ever seen you "contribute" to the hobby is a bad attitude and an oversized ego.

(Now who does that remind you of?)
    I can only recall having problems with one (1) forum member. Who has since been banned, (sort of) and he started it.

The post in this thread not withstanding, please provide a link to the posts that susbstantiates your (self mod permitted) personal attack on me.

Even though he doesn't like me, at least Mr. Black respected my right to an opinion without attacking me.

I can only recall having problems with one (1) forum member. Who has since been banned, (sort of) and he started it.

The post in this thread not withstanding, please provide a link to the posts that susbstantiates your (self mod permitted) personal attack on me.

Even though he doesn't like me, at least Mr. Black respected my right to an opinion without attacking me.
    Too bad. If you don't like the way you're treated here, go troll your little Xbox boards instead. You won't be missed (except for your entertainment value).