Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 100

Thread: Sleeper Banned

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,406
    You all have a very short amount of time to get this thread, and yourselves under control.

    I don't mind a discussion about a banning that has taken place since precedence can be cited numerous times (despite my displeasure in it).

    Keep it civil, or it closes.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    74
    Where the sidewalk ends
    And the road begins

    There's the 'Sewer'
    Parrothead

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    34
    Dear friends,

    This thread has caused quite a stir! I haven't seen this much emotion since the HD-team ate Team Sleeper for lunch by being the very first group to hack the new HD Tivo. As we all know, a good sport will accept defeat with grace, and if you're a bad sport you'll ask your fanboys to post lies trying to rewrite history. Again let us congratulate the HD-team for their stunning, documented victory over the lowly shell script writers.

    As for Sleeper I hope he has finally learned his lesson, and welcome him back with open arms, eager to see him no longer whoring for glory and profit.

    Kindest regards,
    T. Closed

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by THREAD CLOSED
    Dear friends,

    This thread has caused quite a stir! I haven't seen this much emotion since the HD-team ate Team Sleeper for lunch by being the very first group to hack the new HD Tivo. As we all know, a good sport will accept defeat with grace, and if you're a bad sport you'll ask your fanboys to post lies trying to rewrite history. Again let us congratulate the HD-team for their stunning, documented victory over the lowly shell script writers.

    As for Sleeper I hope he has finally learned his lesson, and welcome him back with open arms, eager to see him no longer whoring for glory and profit.

    Kindest regards,
    Your comments only serve to prove my point.
    BTW I posted the fact that the prom changes were identical 5 days BEFORE HD TeAms "breakthrough"
    Thank You
    Last edited by Tiros; 06-04-2004 at 09:07 PM.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by THREAD CLOSED
    Dear friends,

    This thread has caused quite a stir! I haven't seen this much emotion since the HD-team ate Team Sleeper for lunch by being the very first group to hack the new HD Tivo. As we all know, a good sport will accept defeat with grace, and if you're a bad sport you'll ask your fanboys to post lies trying to rewrite history. Again let us congratulate the HD-team for their stunning, documented victory over the lowly shell script writers.

    As for Sleeper I hope he has finally learned his lesson, and welcome him back with open arms, eager to see him no longer whoring for glory and profit.

    Kindest regards,
    Was the "hack" really that great a feat? The patch points in the prom hardly changed IIRC (based on pattern), and coulda been updated by someone with little or no mips experience ..Now if they've found a non-prom approach, that would be something to laud...

    jeboo

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by jeboo
    Was the "hack" really that great a feat? The patch points in the prom hardly changed IIRC (based on pattern), and coulda been updated by someone with little or no mips experience ..Now if they've found a non-prom approach, that would be something to laud...
    You're absolutely correct. Somehow this whole silly HD thing became a giant pissing contest. I suspect it had very little to do with the parties who were actually working on the units, and a lot to do with a few trolls' personal spats. Let's take a trip back to the year 2002 at TCF:

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleNerd
    Here's a PROM patch for S2 for those of you with access to a burner. The patch will allow you to boot any kernel, whether it's signed correctly or not.

    Somewhere within your TiVoProm.bin image, you should see the following instruction word:

    0x1043000c

    You want to change that 0x43 to a 0x42. Just that one byte change is all you need...it changes a conditional branch to an unconditional one. This essentially discards the results of the signature checking routine.

    The above 4-byte word will probably appear as 0x43100c00 in the image file itself (endian issues). I've only hand-verified the patch on 1.15 and 1.18 images (1.18 came out with version 3.2 of the software. 1.15 was posted on this board but it wasn't completely there). In 1.18, the file offset of the byte to change is 0x2b40.
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleNerd
    As it turns out, before the boot code even verifies the kernel signature, it verifies itself. It computes the sha1 hash of its own in-memory image (after a certain offset) and compares the result to one stored in its own image (before that certain offset). So in addition to patching over the signature checking results as I showed 2 posts back, you have to patch over this too.

    This second patch also consists of a single byte change. Somewhere in your 1.15 or 1.18 image you should find the following instruction word:

    0x14830004

    You want to change that 0x83 byte to 0x84. This word will probably appear as 0x83140400 in the .bin image file itself.
    From what I understand, these same directions pretty much work for the 2.14 PROM (although I believe there are two possibilities for one of the patches - look at the context). So, what can we gather from this?

    • Hacking a HR10-250 requires the ability to socket a PROM, a copy of WinHex/hexer, and a willingness to follow simple directions written in plain English.
    • If you think you're a "god" because you pulled it off without following a howto guide, don't fool yourself - you're not. Try "early adopter" on for size.
    • If you think there's a huge conspiracy to keep people from hacking the HD TiVos, you've obviously never even bothered trying, because it's trivial. Go back under your bridge.
    • If you think there's a need for a new "guide" to cover this procedure, you'd be better off learning some basic problem solving skills and spending a little time experimenting. It won't kill you to leave your comfort zone once in a while.
    • If you're afraid of screwing up your TiVo, then leave it alone and find another hobby.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    155
    jeboo,
    You are correct! The prom hack is trivial. Anyone who can work a hex editor could pull it off.
    I posted the fact that this was the case 5 days before the HD TeAm post. After thier post, Sleeper posted a "thats old news" post that was almost immediatly moved to the sewer for being "an unsubstantiated claim" and renamed to the now famous "Hi Def penis wagging thread".

    I am not trying to take any credit here or say it's an earth shattering hack.
    The real props go to the original binary patch creator for the HDVR2 which IIRC is: Musclenerd

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiros
    jeboo,
    You are correct! The prom hack is trivial. Anyone who can work a hex editor could pull it off.
    I posted the fact that this was the case 5 days before the HD TeAm post. After thier post, Sleeper posted a "thats old news" post that was almost immediatly moved to the sewer for being "an unsubstantiated claim" and renamed to the now famous "Hi Def penis wagging thread".

    I am not trying to take any credit here or say it's an earth shattering hack.
    The real props go to the original binary patch creator for the HDVR2 which IIRC is: Musclenerd
    sleeper was the first in the thread to make a claim that hacking the unit was old news. also, sleeper has been very adamant about keeping hdtivo hacking info quiet. no offence was intended by any party, but clearly offense was taken. there is no need to get bogged down with - well, no better way to put it - penis wagging and posturing. the prom hack was known to work, and then it was shown that people compromised the box via that and possibly other means (we know HD TeAm didnt use the bash_env mod, what actual hack method was used is unknown).

    i absolutely agree that credit should always be given to the deserving party. for the prom hack, its certainly MN
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiros
    jeboo,
    You are correct! The prom hack is trivial. Anyone who can work a hex editor could pull it off.
    I posted the fact that this was the case 5 days before the HD TeAm post.
    Sigh... do you ever tell the whole truth? Once again let's set the record straight:

    In this post, you commented on the similarities between the 3.1.5 PROM and the 1.18 PROM. What you didn't mention is that the 3.1.5 PROM from GZprom isn't even used - the SST37 on the HR10-250 shipped with the 2.14 PROM, which was not at all similar to the 1.18 PROM (the locations were different, although MuscleNerd's search-and-replace trick still worked). In fact, the 3.1.5 PROM has no LBA48 support, so it won't even boot the image that came with the HR10-250. But I didn't see you mention that little detail either.

    Maybe you were staring at boot error 53 five days before the HD TeAm got a shell, but IMHO that's not much to brag about.

    After thier post, Sleeper posted a "thats old news" post that was almost immediatly moved to the sewer for being "an unsubstantiated claim" and renamed to the now famous "Hi Def penis wagging thread".
    Correct. "That's old news, I already did it" was penis wagging. Posting a tty log that shows info on the memory configuration, chipset, etc. is useful technical information to an audience in the development forums. Why didn't you and/or Sleeper post something technical in that thread? One can only speculate on your reasons, but two plausible motives are: you hadn't hacked the box yet, or you were keeping things under wraps so you could profit from it.

    I don't know who HD TeAm is/was, but apparently they weren't trying to make a name for themselves (I assume they have other accounts here) or cash in from whatever work they did. I can't say the same for Sleeper, and that is why his post wound up in the Sewer and the HD TeAm post did not. Whether or not Sleeper misrepresented his accomplishments (I honestly have no idea), his post contained no useful information for a technical thread.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblack51
    no offence was intended by any party, but clearly offense was taken. there is no need to get bogged down with - well, no better way to put it - penis wagging and posturing. the prom hack was known to work, and then it was shown that people compromised the box via that and possibly other means (we know HD TeAm didnt use the bash_env mod, what actual hack method was used is unknown).

    i absolutely agree that credit should always be given to the deserving party. for the prom hack, its certainly MN
    Your right Mr. Black.
    I know no offense was meant by your request for proof.
    What was offensive was the DB er THREAD CLOSED posting in 12 point "YOU ARE A LIAR".

    When I think about it, this was really the turning point for the whole nastiness.

    That part of his post has now been edited, and my "Apology Accepeted" post was my smart ass way of telling HIM to STFU and was not directed toward you in any way.
    It seemed like ADH was condoning this behaviour by editing my response to his "liar" accusation and leaving DB's inflammatory post alone as well as spinning us to the sewer. Why edit me when I was only defending against his attack? Sure, that pissed me off, but I kept quiet.

    Lets get it straight, once again DB has triggered nastiness. He started this fight. We all got sucked in.
    I can only hope that someone notices that this user is a CONSTANT menace to this board.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiros
    It seemed like ADH was condoning this behaviour by editing my response to his "liar" accusation and leaving DB's inflammatory post alone as well as spinning us to the sewer. Why edit me when I was only defending against his attack? Sure, that pissed me off, but I kept quiet.
    Your flame was something along the lines of, "I guess the staff is giving you special treatment because you're not banned yet." It would have been left alone if you had not drawn a third party into your spat. Most of the other trolls here are smart enough not to challenge the mods when they get into fights; will it take a ban before you figure that out?

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiros
    Lets get it straight, once again DB has triggered nastiness. He started this fight. We all got sucked in.
    I can only hope that someone notices that this user is a CONSTANT menace to this board.
    why is this stuff about DB still coming up? he has been perm-banned for a while now (03-18-2004 by vadim himself). what menace is he causing now?
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblack51
    why is this stuff about DB still coming up? he has been perm-banned for a while now (03-18-2004 by vadim himself). what menace is he causing now?
    Because most of us know that if you checked the IP logs or got fancy and did any sort of browser ID checking, you'd probably find that DB is aka:

    THREAD CLOSED
    THREAD CL0SED (username now deleted)
    800-whateverthehellitwas

    And I suspect he's also almontebarnes and other aliases. But that doesn't happen, and so he thumbs his nose at everyone while management appears to allow him to continue, seemingly condoning his behavior.


    You asked why he's coming up, and I'm telling you from a user's perspective. Lots of us believe DB never left -- he just changed aliases.
    Have a question? Try a search first...

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblack51
    why is this stuff about DB still coming up? he has been perm-banned for a while now (03-18-2004 by vadim himself).
    They are referring to his having started this thread.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    172
    It's like one of those older wrestling shows...

    Mr. Fantabulous challenges The Country Boy to a "Loser Leaves" match. Mr. Fantabulous loses, and then a week later, The Masked Avenger is a new wrestler on the show.

    Sounds like Mr. Fantabulous

    Looks like Mr. Fantabulous (except for the mask)

    Acts like Mr. Fantabulous

    (Puts on Wrestling Promoter hat) But nooooooo, it COULDN'T BE Mr. Fantabulous. Cause he wrestled in that match which said if he lost he had to leave. So it COULDN'T be him. (wink wink nudge nudge)



    Yeah. Right.
    Have a question? Try a search first...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •