Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Video extraction from the new HD10-250

Video extraction from the new HD10-250

Just testing the waters here.

Has anyone sucessfully extracted the High Def streams from the new HD Directv TIVO?

I am told that this is basically the same as the SD Directv TIVO with the addition of the High Definition capability.

Thanks

No joy. Look to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Has anyone sucessfully extracted the High Def streams from the new HD Directv TIVO?
    Yes.

-andrew

Quote Originally Posted by TechFarmer
    No joy. Look to this thread.
    what does that thread have to do with extraction? the NoCSO hack works if you can get bash on the system, and disables encryption on all programs. niether jdiner's tools nor tystudio currently process the HD streams, but the standard streams work just fine. the hd streams (both OTA and DTV) are not encrypted with a properly applied NoCSO hack, that has been verified by a number of sources.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

AOS,

You answered yes but after searching this forum for half a day, I have found no one who has actually done it.

Found plenty of discussions regarding the topic but nothing specific.
    Two were of merit:
    One said that the Sleeper set of tools won't work because the kernel is different on the HD TIVO.
    The other explained how to turn off encryption of the files.

A large numbr of discusssions were about how to handle the large size of HD data on DVD's but I am not interested in burning to a DVD.
    I just need the HD streams on my PC so my PC HDTV card can play then back on my TV as well as dumping them to my D-VHS.

I have lots of tools for the PC to manipluate High Def streams to put them in a format that the PC HDTV card will understand.

I doubt you care but here is my motivation for pursuing this HD extraction:

I have been collecting good HD events (OTA or from SAT) for quite some time and I have a personal use library of around 300 HD movies,concerts,sports on D-VHS that I made with the DISH model 5000 before DISH changed the transmission format in February and made my 5000 a doorstop. I am now with Directv and bought an HD TIVO and this device is the only satellite receiver that has a chance at letting me regain the capability of archiving that I had last February.

The last straw was when I had to delete the great Kubrick film "A Clockwork Orange" which was redone in High Def in order to have room for my HD TIVO to record more stuff. I really wanted to be able to get that movie on D-VHS as my DVD of it sure looks lousy now.

I am determined to do this with the HD TIVO with the help of folks like you.

Can you point me to a more specific post where someone has actually extracted the HD streams from the HD TIVO?

Sure would appreciate it.

Joe
    Last edited by redstone; 06-13-2004 at 08:44 PM. Reason: spelling

I have lots of tools for the PC to manipluate High Def streams to put them in a format that the PC HDTV card will understand.
    Keeping in mind the fact that your tools probably can't mux HD tystreams yet...

To compromise your HD TiVo and extract streams, follow the same procedure as with a PROM modded SD TiVo running software 4.x/5.x. That is to say, socket/reflash the PROM, replace_initrd on the active kernel image, and start installing "stuff" on the drive. At the minimum you'll probably want mfs_ftp, nocso, and an rc.sysinit.author script that starts the network (I believe ax8817x and ehci drivers are stock on 3.1.5).

Well you can extract HD tystreams today using mfs_ftp. And you can then archive them, which seems to be all redstone is asking for. I assume you can re-insert the HD tystreams with mfs_ftp but I haven't tried that yet.

You can also demux/playback HD tystreams using mplayer, tho I've had to address a few issues. Specifically http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=35384 concerning OTA HD content. Sounds like redstone is concerned with premium content, which has played just fine for me (tho very limited testing).

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    Keeping in mind the fact that your tools probably can't mux HD tystreams yet...
    Tools

If it helps, I do have some hdtivo streams sitting on my hard disk right now. Granted nothing will play them, they are there.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    If it helps, I do have some hdtivo streams sitting on my hard disk right now. Granted nothing will play them, they are there.
    So you haven't tried mplayer then? Works for me.

Thanks for all your help,but...

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    That is to say, socket/reflash the PROM,

Thanks for all that replied to my post. I will just continue to monitor this forum as more of the HDTIVO's get into folks's hands to see if further progress is made in getting the HD streams off.

The above quote is a brick wall which I am not even considering climbing over

I have read enough in here about extraction of the video on Series 2 to see that re-flashing proms is not necessary.
    Sleeper has some very nice tutorials that explain this as well as his complete set of SW (well, the compilation of work from folks like you)

I am 100% sure that in time, the same will be doable on the HDTIVO.

After all, who wants to erase some High Definition Gems from the TIVO never to be seen again?
    Case in point:
    Thanks to the HTPC world that I come from and my MYHD card, I have the Ravens Superbowl victory in High Def on D-VHS that I can just pop into my D-VHS deck,fire up the MYHD card and hit play.

BTW, for those interested in archiving satellite broadcast material to D-VHS (like me of course), you may find this link interesting. I either have my HDTIVO archiving for me by August or I am ordering the referenced setup.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=409442

Thanks again.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf

Care to put a small (say 30 second) stream on an ftp site for some of us to try our reformating tools on?

Thanks,
    Joe

The above quote is a brick wall which I am not even considering climbing over
    Many community members offer this as a service for $50-100. It's pretty easy once you've had a little practice.

I have read enough in here about extraction of the video on Series 2 to see that re-flashing proms is not necessary.
    Sleeper has some very nice tutorials that explain this as well as his complete set of SW (well, the compilation of work from folks like you)

I am 100% sure that in time, the same will be doable on the HDTIVO.
    Don't hold your breath; the 2.4.4/3.1.U5/BASH_ENV hole was closed. A PROM hack is your only option on the HR10-250. This has nothing to do with video extraction.

Direct extraction (of encrypted streams) is still possible if you pull the drive.

BTW, for those interested in archiving satellite broadcast material to D-VHS (like me of course), you may find this link interesting. I either have my HDTIVO archiving for me by August or I am ordering the referenced setup.
    Strange - the idea of moding your hd-tivo STB is a "brick wall" but some other pre-released STB mod is worth waiting for?

Quote Originally Posted by bcc
    Strange - the idea of moding your hd-tivo STB is a "brick wall" but some other pre-released STB mod is worth waiting for?
    The HD TIVO is $1000 and when I ultimately sell it, I want it pristine.
    The STB needed for the referenced 5000-HD mod is less than $300.