Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LCD of D-Tivo, not Standalone

LCD screens for a D-Tivo and Standalone

Seems that the LCD mods work great on the standalone Tivos but not the D-Tivos. any Ideas on why? the serial ports are outputting diffrent info.
    Last edited by MiamiTV; 06-30-2004 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiTV
    Seems that the LCD mods work great on the standalone Tivos but not the D-Tivos. any Ideas on why? the serial ports are outputting diffrent info.
    To add some color to this, i've been trying to help rob with this, but the Dtivo is not putting out serial data the same way a SA1 does.

My SA1 serial port is hooked up directly to a LCD scree and the data appears w/out a problem.

Rob's Dtivo is hooked up to an LCD screen the same way. We've run my test scripts on the system and verified that they are writing output to the serial port. He even hooked up the tivo via serial to a terminal program, and he can see the output of my scripts. However the LCD will not receive the data.

so the real question is, is the serial output on a dtivo different then that of a SA1? that is, baud, parity, handshake etc?

any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by wdwms
    To add some color to this, i've been trying to help rob with this, but the Dtivo is not putting out serial data the same way a SA1 does.

My SA1 serial port is hooked up directly to a LCD scree and the data appears w/out a problem.

Rob's Dtivo is hooked up to an LCD screen the same way. We've run my test scripts on the system and verified that they are writing output to the serial port. He even hooked up the tivo via serial to a terminal program, and he can see the output of my scripts. However the LCD will not receive the data.

so the real question is, is the serial output on a dtivo different then that of a SA1? that is, baud, parity, handshake etc?

any ideas?
    things like buad rate can be set in rc.sysinit. ie: stty 115200
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

You can change any of that with the "stty" utility. I am not aware of any hardware differences; are you using a good quality component like a MAX232 to convert the RS232 signals to TTL levels?

I dont' follow what you mean by Max232...

I have a TCL script that does the following:

set sign [open "/dev/ttyS3" "w"]
    puts $sign "Testing!"
    close $sign

Very simple output to the /dev/ttyS3 device. Now on my SA1, this has a single cable running from the serial port to the lcd screen. Same with robs. Tivo puts out the data, and his terminal picks up the data, but the lcd screen never sees it

how do i use stty to set the baud rate lower?

any updates to this.

any more input would be great, still not getting any feed into the LCD screen

I'm having a similar problem getting a 634 LCD display working with my Series 1 SA TiVo. In my case it appears as though the serial port voltage is not high enought to drive the display. I've verified that the data coming out is fine.

Maybe some TiVos are better than others w/respect to serial port voltage.

I dont' follow what you mean by Max232...
    Max232 is a popular TTL/RS232 level convertor.

Ordinarily the chips that create and use the serial signal create an respond to a TTL (0-5V) signal. The RS232 spec calls for around a +12 to -12V signal. The Max232 converts between the TTL and +/- 12V signal.

A way to get around having a Max232 is to bypass the level convertor on the board you are communicating with.

thanks will test output voltage

seems to make perfect sence, Will try and test output voltage. thanks will give feedback asap

Being the owner of this LCD script, please let me know if anyone solves this issue. Seems as though DTivo's can't send the information.

Also, i'll have a new version of the update.tcl script. There were some minor bugs in it.

Please email me your efforts and any info on your findings to todd@disneycorner.com

Thank you!!

Todd

Arrow No Meter handy

Can some one with a meter please let me know what the output voltage is on the serial port on a SAT-T60. thanks so much.

I've got the same problem - i have two tivos - one US series 1 stand alone and one UK series 1.

Can't get either to work with my 634 lcd's - scripts are running fine on both machines and the lcds work fine when connected to my pc - i.e. problem is pairing the tivo and the lcd

i'm going to have another go playing with baud rates but if anyone has any other ideas please let me know

Cheers
    David

Baud Rate

David, I have ordered a Baud Rate Converter. this will bring the 115200 output of the TiVo down to a 9600 that the LCD screen will be happy with. I just want to be sure what Voltage is being put out by the TiVo, so that will account for everything, this way we can set the jumpers right. good luck, will post results

All good

well that did the trick. I converted the 115200 out of the tivo into a 9600 stream and its working great. now to get a script to work

anyway to do this in software? / can anyone point me to what i need hardware wise ???

Cheers
    David