Thread: Which files do I need to keep around?

Which files do I need to keep around?

I need some advice on which files I need to keep that are left over from the Ty--->Tytool--->DVD process.

After the process is over I have the following:

.ty, .cut, .key, .vob .chp

And also, in the output directory, the Video_TS and Audio_TS directories, as well as:

menu.bat, menu.bmp, menu.m2v, menu.mpg, menu.yuv and overlay.bmp

If I have no need for ever using anything again, I know I could dump the lot, .ty and all.

However, If I later want to use some other DVD authoring program to make cooler menus, chapter breaks etc., and burn again, what do I need for that? Are the files in the first group above compatible with other DVD authoring programs? Do I just keep the .vob and dump the .ty and others?

I am doing more reading on what all these files are and do, but some general guidance is appreciated.

Finally, If I just want to go Tivo1--->PC--->Tivo2 (or directly from Tivo1--->Tivo2) am I correct that the best way to do this is just use mfs_ftp and get the TMF files directly?

TIA

You will need to keep the ty file if you want to save it for later use. You can always generate a new key file and cut file as well as any others that are created during the process. The only files you'd need to import into another authoring program would be an mpeg or vob file generated by TyTools.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by rfc
    Finally, If I just want to go Tivo1--->PC--->Tivo2 (or directly from Tivo1--->Tivo2) am I correct that the best way to do this is just use mfs_ftp and get the TMF files directly?

TIA
    Yes!

ew

Thanks very much!

Exactly what I was looking for. Now it's on to finding the best burner/DVD authoring package for the dedicated PC I have for this project. This business of putting files on ide drives at home, yanking them, bringing them to work, moving the gigabytes across our network so I can burn them on our Mac G5, is getting a bit old, lol.