Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTP Problems

FTP Problems

Can someone help me please?

I have completed the hack process (Hinsdale's to back up and restore to and expand a new larger disk and Jenkins' to install turbonet card and various hacks).

Everything works great, except I can't FTP into my TiVo! Telnet and TiVoweb both work perfectly and I have installed and ran tivoftpd as per the instructions.

I have tried via the DOS command line (ftp ip_adress). It tells me it is connected, stays with that message for a minute or so and then comes back to say 'Connection closed by remote host'.

I have also tried with CuteFTP, but this will not connect at all! I have CuteFTP set to login anonymously and via port 21. Are these settings correct?

I want to install mfs_ftp, but I have no means of transferring the files into the TiVo if my ftp clients won't connect!

Any ideas anyone?

Make sure you are not running more than one instance of an ftp server.

OR, if you're running some kind of VPN client (Checkpoint for sure), that installs a policy, you may not be able to FTP into your tivo.

Since you say you CAN telnet, have you tried to telnet to port 21?

ftp problems...

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried the following:

I do have Checkpoint installed, and I have ended the associated services and disabled the adapter in Device Manager. However, I still can't get in via ftp.

Assuming that you add ":21" to the end of the ip address in the telnet command to telnet via port 21, then, again, no joy (although the normal telnet command still allows connection).

Can you please expand on how you can check if there is more than one instance of the ftp server running?

Once again, thanks

Uncheck Checkpoint SecuRemote from the Network Properties screen, and try again....

To find out how many versions of tivoftpd you're running, (though I don't think it's possible to start more then one without modifying the executable), type

ps aux

and look for the service running. How many do you see?

ftp probs

To JJBliss

Thanks for the suggestions, mate.

I unchecked Checkpoint from the list in the connection properties, but still no joy.

What prompt do you need to be able to use the 'ps aux' command? I get the 'bash: ps: command not found' error when i try it.

I have noticed that if i try to connect through an ftp client, it reports that the connection request timed out. I then cannot telnet the TiVo until after a restart!

I have also tried to connect through another pc that I borrowed on the network. I get the same problem (this pc does not have checkpoint installed). I leads me to think it is a problem with TiVo, not the pc.

Can you confirm what port to ftp into and username and password settings (anonymous or otherwise) should be used?

Or, indeed, any other suggestions?!?!

Thanks

1) It looks like when you hacked your tivo, you forgot to include some common utility binaries (ps for one). You should be able to xfer them using the Zmodem protocol.

2) The command line telnet client under windows is notorious for having problems, it'd probably be better to grab one of the freeware clients (teraterm, putty, etc.) They each have their own way of specifying port#, to try to connect to the ftp port (port 21). Username and password are ignored if entered.

3) If you get some utilities xferred, netstat -l should let you know if a process is listening on the ftp port

Thanks BTUx9 for the suggestions!

I am checking the thread replies from work and I won't be home until Tuesday night. I will try your suggestions then.

Once again, thanks!

Same problem here

Any resolve on this issue?? I encountered it last night. will explore further in next 2 days..

my machine - dtivo series 2.. sleeper iso to 3.1xxxx

I could FTP before I updated tserver and newest version of tytools 9r14 (I updated before I ever used tytools). I use the automation for starting tserver from tytools program in windows..

I can telnet in easy, ftp hangs (same set up as before tytools)

thoughts of possible issues
    - somehow port 21 is still being used from last ftp (probably not)
    - something with tytools starting server changed how the ftp functions or soething similar.

Either way restarting the tivo, should solve this issue right???

Quote Originally Posted by dkuper
    Either way restarting the tivo, should solve this issue right???
    Yes, a restart should clear the problem. If you're wondering if the conflict is on port 21, you can always type: netstat -l
    That will show you if anything is running on the ftp port.

ps isn't part of the stock Tivo or he addon bins, that is extra.

Connect using anonymous mode, port 21 for system, 3105 for mfsftp.

You have to start the ftp daemon, preferably from rc.sysinit.author.

I thought I'd post what i did to fix my issues with ftp.. rather simple.. instead of restarting I killed the process, after getting the process ID and Killed (kill -9 **process ID #** and then restarted tivoftpd, so no need to reboot..

Thanks all for the help. I think it is may be associated with tytools and starting or killing the process from teh tytools windows interface..

Thanks again.

I'm having the same problem. Before I installed TyTool 9R14, I was able to ftp to my dtivo no problem. Now, since I used "Start tserver" from within 9R14, I am not able to ftp to the box.

I tried kill -9 {process ID #} and verified that tivoftpd was gone, then restarted it, but still can't connect via ftp. Restarting the Tivo also does not fix it.

I can telnet to the box, no problem on port 23 using TeraTerm Pro, but I tried changing the port to 21 and that did not work.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by rohcnaman
    I'm having the same problem. Before I installed TyTool 9R14, I was able to ftp to my dtivo no problem. Now, since I used "Start tserver" from within 9R14, I am not able to ftp to the box.

Any ideas?
    after rebooting tivo, did you manually start tivoftpd?
    did you try netstat -l to see if it's running?
    Last edited by BTUx9; 06-27-2004 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BTUx9
    after rebooting tivo, did you manually start tivoftpd?
    did you try netstat -l to see if it's running?
    I didn't have to manually restart it, it was started by rc.sysinit.author. Netstat -l gives me this.

tivo:/var/tmp$ netstat -l
    Active Internet connections (only servers)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
    tcp 0 0 *:www *:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 *:ftp *:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 *:telnet *:* LISTEN
    Active UNIX domain sockets (only servers)
    Proto RefCnt Flags Type State I-Node Path
    unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 60 /tmp/S_EventSwitcherSoc
    ket75
    unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 50 /var/dev/log
    unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 367 /var/tmp/SerialPortArbi
    trator
    tivo:/var/tmp$

also, ps yields the following:
    tivo:/var/tmp$ ps aux | grep ftp
    #0 128 0.0 1.1 1844 488 ? S 02:27 0:00 tivoftpd
    #0 195 0.0 1.2 2744 544 ? S 03:05 0:00 grep ftp
    tivo:/var/tmp$

so, tivoftpd is running, and I can stop and restart it, but it still will not allow me to connect. I tried using ws_ftp and also windows explorer, and although I do have Checkpoint vpn on my laptop, I have killed the service. I also tried the ftp from my desktop machine that does not have checkpoint with no luck.