Thread: HD TiVo / HR10-250 FAQ and Tips

HD TiVo / HR10-250 FAQ and Tips

Q: I just got an HD TiVo. Is it true that I need to modify the hardware just to get a shell?

A: No, there is now a software hack so socketing your PROM is optional (but can provide faster boot times). Search for "killhdinitrd" in the Series2 Development forum.

Q: Is this going to be a lot of trouble? I just want to extract HD shows. Is it worth the hassle?

A: If you're asking yourself that question, it's probably not worth it to you. If you don't enjoy troubleshooting, experimenting, reading long meandering threads that end abruptly, and dealing with software that breaks for no reason, perhaps you should look for a different project (or a different hobby).

Q: How come nobody posts anything about HD TiVo hacking? Is there a big conspiracy or cover-up?

A: There is no conspiracy; please ignore the trolls. The fact of the matter is that the HR10-250 is in very short supply, and at $1000 each there are only a few people who can afford them. Among these early adopters, only a small minority are even interested in opening up the case. When there is only a small handful of hackers out there, you just won't see a lot of hacking posts.

Q: What steps should I follow to hack the HR10-250?

A: Thoroughly read and understand each of these threads: 1, 2. Also, if you are concerned about software upgrades, read and understand this thread.

If you are interested in doing the PROM socketing yourself and you have not had professional SMD rework experience, read the instructions and hints in these threads: 1, 2, and 3. Please note that KRavEN is no longer offering a socketing service. You will need either a flash programmer or a non-HD TiVo to program the new image.

Q: Isn't there a simple HOWTO or a guide I can follow??

A: No. Write one and post it. Write something educational - try not to make it another useless "list of commands to type" guide.

Q: Does extraction work on an HD TiVo?

A: Yes, you may extract and archive any recording you wish, using any of the usual tools (mfs_ftp, tserver, etc.). However, it has been reported that only standard definition streams are consistently muxable / playable off the TiVo with the tools available at the time of this writing (2004/06/20).

Update 2004/08/03: bcc has posted a GPL utility to mux HD tystreams, and jdiner is developing HD support for tytool. Read this thread to keep up with their progress.

Q: Will the HR10-250's 3.1.5 software run on an HDVR2? If so, what are the differences from 3.1.1c?

A: Yes, it will run on many or all earlier models. 3.1.5 provides slightly friendlier error handling, LBA48 support, and a few other niceties. It does not provide folders or HMO.
    Last edited by alldeadhomiez; 08-04-2004 at 01:51 AM.

3.1.5 comes with the following kernel modules (which include basic "3.x" network support, no wireless, plus ehci):

Code:
    af_packet.o   fan.o       ircatch.o   scsi_mod.o  tivoconfig.o      usbnet.o
    ax8817x.o     fat.o       isofs.o     sd_mod.o    tvinput.o         vfat.o
    brcmdrv-rb.o  fpga.o      kfirm.o     sg.o        tvinput_falcon.o
    cdrom.o       i2c.o       modemtty.o  si9190.o    usb-ohci.o
    cobra.o       ideturbo.o  oslink.o    sr_mod.o    usb-storage.o
    ehci-hcd.o    irblast.o   pegasus.o   therm.o     usbcore.o
    Network drivers are in bold. si9190.o is for the Silicon Image SI9190 HDMI controller (new in 3.1.5).

Kernel modules from 5.x should be usable with 3.1.5, as they were also built for the 2.4.20 kernel. Here are the modules that come with 5.1.1b:

Code:
    af_packet.o   fpga.o           kfirm.o       rtl8150.o     tvinput_falcon.o
    ax8817x.o     i2c.o            modemtty.o    scsi_mod.o    usb-ohci.o
    brcmdrv-rb.o  ideturbo.o       msdos.o       sd_mod.o      usb-storage.o
    cdrom.o       irblast.o        oslink.o      sg.o          usbcore.o
    cobra.o       ircatch-atmel.o  p80211.o      sr_mod.o      usbnet.o
    ehci-hcd.o    ircatch.o        pegasus.o     therm.o       vfat.o
    fan.o         isofs.o          prism2_usb.o  tivoconfig.o  vnetusba.o
    fat.o         kaweth.o         router.o      tvinput.o
    WLAN drivers from 4.0+ might not work correctly with iwconfig. This could be a problem on 3.1.5, since myworld lacks a network configuration screen.

I have an HR10-250 that I purchased from ebay recently. It is on my account and does dial into DT* for updates. My problem is that it will not download the 6.3d update. I have had it dial in many times but the update never arrives. Currently it is at 3.1.5f.

The other HR10 I bought did do the update. Why won't this one? Both serial numbers are Very close.

Quote Originally Posted by vfr0092 View Post
    I have an HR10-250 that I purchased from ebay recently. It is on my account and does dial into DT* for updates. My problem is that it will not download the 6.3d update. I have had it dial in many times but the update never arrives. Currently it is at 3.1.5f.

The other HR10 I bought did do the update. Why won't this one? Both serial numbers are Very close.
    How long have you had it hooked up? It will eventually download the updates, which it doesn't have to dial in to do. Mine updates nightly around 2am but I have the upgrades turned off so the slices just sit there.

Is 6.4a-01-2-357 still workable with DTV feed?

Hi all.

I have had a hacked HR10-250 with software update turned OFF for a over a year now and things have been fine till about a week ago. I starting to get more and more reboots per week, and now it reboots into what looks to be functional for about 5 mins, then just HANGS in total death. The last time this happened to me was because I was running a older version of the software and DTV had made some changes that caused my system to no longer work. (Something about getting incompatible keys if I remember right---not sure what that means).

Im wondering if that has happened again, now that the new DirectTivo (THR-22) is out, wondering if my update=false needs to be changed and allow for an update and a re-hack?

Software version 6.4a-01-2-357
    I think Im running 3.1.5f but I cant seem to confirm that in the System Information screen for some reason. I'm pretty sure thats where I left off at.

Can someone remind me how to confirm that? (I can shell in and telnet in if I do it before it poops on me again).

This could also be a hardware problem, the equipment is old and has been running non-stop for nearly 8 years. I did clean everything out, and I even ran a sequential sector read test on the internal ide hard drive and it passed with no bad blocks. (MS dos booted pc runing ghost8.exe /ir).

Im going to unhook my dish cables and reboot and let it run all night and see if it still crashes. This usually happens with in 10 mins now of the reboot.

Is there something I can check in the log as well that might give me a clue? I may need a reminder on how to do that too, its been so long since I tinkered with this thing because its been running so well.

I found this in my log, its interesting that it things its already 2:00am on Jan 1st, when in fact is Saturday night at 9:36pm local time. New Years is not for a few more hours yet....very strange.
    Also, since pulling the sat cables out, the system has been solid for 20 mins now...also very interesting....

Jan 1 02:05:24 (none) Thread Mediaswitch1[304]: read 0x2aca0000 /lib/libcdau$
    Jan 1 02:05:24 (none) Thread Mediaswitch1[304]: 0x2abaa2e0 0x2abaa99c 0x2aba$
    Jan 1 02:05:24 (none) Thread Mediaswitch1[304]: Tmk Fatal Error: Thread Medias$
    Jan 1 02:05:24 (none) Thread Mediaswitch1[304]: Tmk Fatal Error: Thread died d$
    Jan 1 02:05:24 (none) Thread Mediaswitch1[304]: Invoking rule 834: rebooting s$

All seems well today. Not sure what was going on there. I cleared all my logs, maybe they were getting to big perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by flagmaster View Post
    I found this in my log, its interesting that it things its already 2:00am on Jan 1st, when in fact is Saturday night at 9:36pm local time. New Years is not for a few more hours yet....very strange.
    Also, since pulling the sat cables out, the system has been solid for 20 mins now...also very interesting....

Jan 1 02:05:24 (none) Thread Mediaswitch1[304]: read 0x2aca0000 /lib/libcdau$
    Jan 1 02:05:24 (none) Thread Mediaswitch1[304]: 0x2abaa2e0 0x2abaa99c 0x2aba$
    Jan 1 02:05:24 (none) Thread Mediaswitch1[304]: Tmk Fatal Error: Thread Medias$
    Jan 1 02:05:24 (none) Thread Mediaswitch1[304]: Tmk Fatal Error: Thread died d$
    Jan 1 02:05:24 (none) Thread Mediaswitch1[304]: Invoking rule 834: rebooting s$

Runs on Greenwich Mean Time internally, does math to change what the viewer sees on the screen?

If that log was about 20 minutes old when you looked at it, I suspect that you're in the Eastern Time zone.

Oh, happy late New Year!
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

Can I Use A DTivo SD40-6.4a Image On An HR10-250-DTivo (Both being S2 DTivos) ??
    I posted this question on another thresd, I hope I'm in the right place
    Thanks

Probably, but OTA functions will likely be absent.
    They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza!-----------
    3XR10, prommed, 3xdvr40,4xdvr39, all networked, ranging from 40GB to 750GB

Quote Originally Posted by phil720 View Post
    Can I Use A DTivo SD40-6.4a Image On An HR10-250-DTivo (Both being S2 DTivos) ??
    I posted this question on another thresd, I hope I'm in the right place
    Thanks
    Please don't double post. It's annoying, wastes time, and leads to conflicting information.

crashHD is wrong. The hardware is totally different and software for the SD DirecTiVos will not run on the HD DirecTiVo - the HR10-250.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.