Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Please activate your DVR service..

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3

    Please activate your DVR service..

    Yes, yes, dumb newbie question.. How do I get rid of that? I can't record..

    I called in DTV to activate my card - yes, I'm paying for the service. I've done the full Monte and the hacks - my bash works. But I can't record anything. I don't want my DVR to be calling home and reporting on what I watch every month.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    70
    simply run fixsub and restart... That should take care of the "Final Steps to Activate Problem"

    But if you are getting the Activate your service and your SERVICE IS ACTIVATED than the only thing I could say is do a clear and deleate everything... This happened to me when I tryed 4.0 software (a clear and delete fixed it for me)...

    PS: What software version are you running... thx

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3
    Appreciate the prompt reply.

    I'm running 3.1.1.c with full Monte (series 2 Hughes).

    As for fixsub, I already ran that. No go. The DVR service is not activated on the card (tier). Only DTV. Can I run a trier bypass or do I need to call into DTV and have them activate DVR for the $5 monthly?

    Cheers.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    70
    If you dont have the tier that IS the answer... You MUST have this on the card as there is NO lifetime sub with series 2 tivos...

    For $5 it is well worth it... I actually get the premium pack and therefore it is free (included with the bundle)...


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by 340HP
    Appreciate the prompt reply.

    I'm running 3.1.1.c with full Monte (series 2 Hughes).

    As for fixsub, I already ran that. No go. The DVR service is not activated on the card (tier). Only DTV. Can I run a trier bypass or do I need to call into DTV and have them activate DVR for the $5 monthly?

    Cheers.
    err... You can run a tier bypass, but then you'd be commiting a crime as you continue to steal the DVR service from DTV.

    Moreover, based on your level of questions, I don't think you'd be capable of such a thing anyway.

    If you don't activate the DVR service for $5 a month, you get no Tivo.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by JJBliss
    err... You can run a tier bypass, but then you'd be commiting a crime as you continue to steal the DVR service from DTV.

    Moreover, based on your level of questions, I don't think you'd be capable of such a thing anyway.

    If you don't activate the DVR service for $5 a month, you get no Tivo.
    I don't appreciate your condescending tone. Where there is a will there is a way. Just because I don't know TIVO hacking, doesn't mean I'm wet behind the ears.

    In either case, thanks for the retort. $5 per month won't break my savings account. I don't plan on stealing service either.

    Grazi.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by 340HP
    I don't appreciate your condescending tone. Where there is a will there is a way. Just because I don't know TIVO hacking, doesn't mean I'm wet behind the ears.
    Obviously you didn't have the good sense to avoid bringing up "tier bypasses" on a site that clearly forbids service theft discussions.

    Don't do it again.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,285
    I'm not trying to pick a fight or start an argument.

    As you aware, I clearly don't condone theft of service.

    I just want to know where the poster might have read the warning. I know that it is in the stickys. I'm not defending his actions but if he is like most newbies he just signed up and posted.

    I guess my question is: Does it state when you sign up that theft of service is forbidden?

    340HP, I can tell you from experience that giving the mods crap, especially when you are clearly in the wrong is not a wise move.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    I'm not trying to pick a fight or start an argument.

    As you aware, I clearly don't condone theft of service.

    I just want to know where the poster might have read the warning. I know that it is in the stickys. I'm not defending his actions but if he is like most newbies he just signed up and posted.

    I guess my question is: Does it state when you sign up that theft of service is forbidden?

    340HP, I can tell you from experience that giving the mods crap, especially when you are clearly in the wrong is not a wise move.
    Excellent point.
    Mods, because only SOME of the threads specify "NO DTV HACKING TALK ALOUD!!" it almost implies that that is a per-thread rule. And there is no sticky in Newbies stating the forum-wide rules. Even if this subject IS covered in the registration email, I think it's well worth duplicating. What say you?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    70
    I agree, Dont blame 340HP for not knowning. It seems obvious that he likly just assumed that it wasnt considered stealing DTV service (since most people think of card testing when they hear that)...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by BTUx9
    Excellent point.
    Mods, because only SOME of the threads specify "NO DTV HACKING TALK ALOUD!!" it almost implies that that is a per-thread rule. And there is no sticky in Newbies stating the forum-wide rules. Even if this subject IS covered in the registration email, I think it's well worth duplicating. What say you?

    I say it's on the index screen underneath the link TO THE NEWBIE FORUM, in very clear lettering:


    Newbie Tivo (10 Viewing)
    If you just got your tivo, or are new to tivo hacking, your question definitely belongs here. This includes essentially all questions like "can i" or "where do i find", etc. NO DTV HACKING TALK ALLOWED!!


    If he is truly an uniformed newbie, as you postulate, then it would behoove him to READ the rules of each Forum, as opposed to each thread as you indicate. It shouldn't BE a sticky, when it is covered on the VERY FIRST PAGE!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by gotxp
    I agree, Dont blame 340HP for not knowning. It seems obvious that he likly just assumed that it wasnt considered stealing DTV service (since most people think of card testing when they hear that)...
    and based on my post above, I disagree. There is NO way he missed the rules on his way into the Newbie forum, unless he didn't read. If he didn't read what was on the screen, what else could we do? Put it somewhere ELSE that he wouldn't have read?

    Regarding your other argument, 340HP knew quite well that it was considered stealing DTV service, since he mentions a "tier bypass", and discusses whether or not he'd have to actually "PAY" DTV the $5/month that he would owe them for the service.

    He was investigating ways to avoid paying the $5 for the DVR service. Service Theft. Done.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,406
    Oh, yeah.... and

    MOVED TO THE SEWER

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,777
    If he just signed up, then the forum rules should be fresh in his mind. In particular:

    By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
    Yes, really, you're not allowed to post illegal stuff here. That includes talking about service theft / bypassing tiers, bombmaking instructions, kiddie porn, warez, and all sorts of other things that we will not spell out, because we expect our users to know better.

    Just use your heads, guys.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    291
    Given that much of the hacking is a grey area, Our point (if I may speak for the others) is that these rules should be spelled out.

    We're not arguing that the rules are wrong, far from it! We think they should be in black and white, plain to see (as opposed to on a screen that people often click-thru when they agree to legalese when signing up for something).

    And putting this thread in the sewer (and others like it) just ensures that almost nobody will see these issues.

    It could be argued that:
    1) DTV hacking could be talked about in Series 2 support, Series 1 Support, Extraction Support, etc. because it's specifically disallowed in some other forums but not there
    2) Hacks giving free Tivo service could be talked about in all forums
    I *KNOW* this isn't the case, but given that the only official posting is in the line that ADH quoted, which is on the signup page and nowhere else, seemingly, doesn't it make sense to put these rules somewhere public and obvious??

    I'm just finding it hard to believe that moderators are jumping down our necks because we feel the rules should be MORE publicly posted.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •