Thread: n00b Sleeper Questions

n00b Sleeper Questions

Please forgive me if this is answered in a FAQ, I honestly tried to find it but I couldn't.

For Sleeper's ISO, it requires a FAT32 drive to backup the original image. How much space does it generally require for this? The only drive I have that is partitioned as FAT32 is only 3 GB. All my other drives are NTFS.

Regarding the drive that I will be replacing my original with: Does Sleeper's ISO handle the partitioning/formatting of the newly Monte'd drive? I'm purchasing a brand new 160 GB drive for this. Is this size supported? (Okay, I admit it, I saw this answered in a FAQ somewhere, but I can't remember what the answer was).

It looks to me, from browsing the forums, the general consensus is that a Linksys USB100M seems to be a pretty reliable NIC for a HDVR2. Is this a correct statement?

I'm not much of a Linux guru yet, although I am working hard to be. The only thing keeping me from running it as my full-time OS at home is the lack of peripheral support for things like my scanner and my compact flash reader. When I build my next desktop system, though, I'm going to keep this machine as a Linux box for sure. Anyway, as a full-fledged Windows god, but a Linux newb, am I going to be getting in over my head with this?

Thanks in advance,

- Bloody Templar

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Templar
    For Sleeper's ISO, it requires a FAT32 drive to backup the original image. How much space does it generally require for this? The only drive I have that is partitioned as FAT32 is only 3 GB. All my other drives are NTFS.
    3 gb should be enough for backup performed by Sleeper scripts.

Regarding the drive that I will be replacing my original with: Does Sleeper's ISO handle the partitioning/formatting of the newly Monte'd drive? I'm purchasing a brand new 160 GB drive for this. Is this size supported? (Okay, I admit it, I saw this answered in a FAQ somewhere, but I can't remember what the answer was).
    Yes, only 137 gb if you don't enable/hack with the large disk support. The Sleeper script will take care of the formating for you.

It looks to me, from browsing the forums, the general consensus is that a Linksys USB100M seems to be a pretty reliable NIC for a HDVR2. Is this a correct statement?
    Alot of people have the Netgear FA-120 (including me). Never tried the USB100M myself.

am I going to be getting in over my head with this?
    If you read the threads but do not remember answers, then you might have a fairly tough time with this... More people would be willing to help you if you show some more initiative looking for answers on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Waruwaru
    3 gb should be enough for backup performed by Sleeper scripts.
    Groovy.

Yes, only 137 gb if you don't enable/hack with the large disk support. The Sleeper script will take care of the formating for you.
    Also Groovy.

Alot of people have the Netgear FA-120 (including me). Never tried the USB100M myself.
    Okay, thanks for the heads-up.

If you read the threads but do not remember answers, then you might have a fairly tough time with this... More people would be willing to help you if you show some more initiative looking for answers on your own.
    Oh, I really am sorry if it seemed I wasn't looking for answers on my own. I've practically memorized the Wiki and the FAQ for Sleeper's ISO, and I've done a lot of digging in the forums. You've got to admit, there's a lot for a person to absorb before they've started this task. These are just things I really wanted clarified before cracking the case.

Man, now I've done it... I've said the exact same thing to other people in other forums... "Dude, go find some of your own answers." And now I've done it myself! Dammit! I'm the lazy forum poster!!! *smacks head!*

Seriously, thank you for your answers, and I am indeed sorry for appearing lazy.

Seriously, thank you for your answers, and I am indeed sorry for appearing lazy.
    No problem, just giving you a hard time.

Nothing wrong with that, I kinda left things behind especiall after being a disabled vet, but now I am able to play with this stuff again. So I am learning series2 dtivo's.

I finally got my last new one to take the 3.1.1c upgrade. I have read & reread everything again. Theres a few things I would like to know for certain.

1) Since it just upgraded to 3.1.1c, restarted and then I powered it down, would it be a good idea to make several backups of the drive in its current state for future use?

2) I havent seen any faq's or any readme's on sleeper iso that gives the detailed hacks like 30 second skip ect. I am assuming xPlusz is needed.

3) Will that backed up image of the origianl drive work on another series2 with no problem? Theres no shows recorded.

4) Can I sleeper iso a dtvio v 3.1.1c WITH shows recorded on it? and have them remain and be playable after the "fix"

5) Can two (2) drives be used with sleepers iso on a series2 with a new hdd cable?

I know I'm gonna get slammed but I have searched til I was sick of reading lol

Thanks Dave
    Last edited by 1dave1; 07-13-2004 at 11:02 PM.
    1Dave1

I'm purchasing a brand new 160 GB drive for this. Is this size supported?
    TivoScripts won't throw up any errors about a 160GB drive, and it may even work for you, but it is recommend to use MaxBlastIII or similar to resize the drive to ~137GB (the actual sector count is floating around here somewhere), unless you use an LBA48-aware kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by 1dave1
    Nothing wrong with that, I kinda left things behind especiall after being a disabled vet, but now I am able to play with this stuff again. So I am learning series2 dtivo's.

I finally got my last new one to take the 3.1.1c upgrade. I have read & reread everything again. Theres a few things I would like to know for certain.

1) Since it just upgraded to 3.1.1c, restarted and then I powered it down, would it be a good idea to make several backups of the drive in its current state for future use?
    It is HIGHLY recommended you keep the original drive as a backup. Virtually any weekend you can find 120 Gig drives at major retailer for under $70 after rebate. An unhacked drive also makes troubleshooting quite easy.

2) I havent seen any faq's or any readme's on sleeper iso that gives the detailed hacks like 30 second skip ect. I am assuming xPlusz is needed.
    That's because Sleeper didn't write those hacks. A search should bring up the information of what each does. xPlusz is for Series 1; we're dealing with Series 2 here, I believe you said.

3) Will that backed up image of the origianl drive work on another series2 with no problem? Theres no shows recorded.
    Yes, simply do a 'Clear and Delete everything'.

4) Can I sleeper iso a dtvio v 3.1.1c WITH shows recorded on it? and have them remain and be playable after the "fix"
    It is not supported; but sucess has been reported using MFSTools to pipline the contents of your original drive to the new drive and expand it. Then run Sleeper's TiVoScripts on the new drive, skipping the backup and restore phases. Make sure the variables file in /cdrive/tivo has been deleted if you try this.

5) Can two (2) drives be used with sleepers iso on a series2 with a new hdd cable?
    In theory, yes. Sleeper didn't test it, and problems have been reported running 'Sleeper' on the drives from a two drive system. I have not verified this, but I believe the best approach would be to start with a drive from a single drive system, run TiVoScripts, and after you have tested the final result, run Blesstivo on the second drive and insert it in the system.

I know I'm gonna get slammed but I have searched til I was sick of reading lol

Thanks Dave
    OK, at least you did some reading.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

No problem, just giving you a hard time.
    Hey, thanks for the encouragement and everything. I successfully got my DTiVo Sleepered last night. I was beating my head against the wall, wondering why I wasn't getting lights on my network card... until I realized I bought a Linksys USB100M, when I MEANT to get USB200M. Whoops.

I RMA'd it to NewEgg and ordered a Netgear FA120.

Hey, thanks for you help, bud! I'm sure I'll be bothering ya'll again on how to do nifty stuff like implement vserver, etc.

PlainBill

Thanks for your help, I still havent had time to get them done but I now have 3- 120gig HD's ready to go!

? Does anyone have a GOOD link to the 2.5 to 2.5.2 upgrade file for the series1 units?

I downloaded it from somewhere about a month ago and cant find the link again, I have been asked by several members what the link is and I cant find it

I'll try blessing the drive and let ya know how it goes.....
    1Dave1

Quote Originally Posted by 1dave1
    PlainBill

Thanks for your help, I still havent had time to get them done but I now have 3- 120gig HD's ready to go!

? Does anyone have a GOOD link to the 2.5 to 2.5.2 upgrade file for the series1 units?

I downloaded it from somewhere about a month ago and cant find the link again, I have been asked by several members what the link is and I cant find it
    If you can't find it anywhere else, I just put xupgrade.zip up on eMule.

I'll try blessing the drive and let ya know how it goes.....
    Feedback is ALWAYS appreciated.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.