Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pending restart after every daily call

Throg Guest

Pending restart after every daily call

I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum but it seemed right.
    Everyday after the daily call, Service Connection: Last Status: reads Pending restart. If I don't do the restart manually, the TiVo will restart automatically every morning at 2:00 am. I'm speculating that it's trying to do a software upgrade but my hacks are not allowing it; putting the unit into this daily cycle. Am I thinking right? Can I stop this daily restart from recurring?

Quote Originally Posted by Throg
    I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum but it seemed right.
    Everyday after the daily call, Service Connection: Last Status: reads Pending restart. If I don't do the restart manually, the TiVo will restart automatically every morning at 2:00 am. I'm speculating that it's trying to do a software upgrade but my hacks are not allowing it; putting the unit into this daily cycle. Am I thinking right? Can I stop this daily restart from recurring?
    yup, its trying to upgrade to 4.0.1b-02. can you stop it? well, easiest way is to take the update and re-hack
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Throg Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblack51
    yup, its trying to upgrade to 4.0.1b-02. can you stop it? well, easiest way is to take the update and re-hack
    That's part of my problem. I'm not quite sure what I have to do to allow the update. I used the sleeper iso and it did everything for me so I don't know which switch to hit to allow updating.

That's part of my problem. I'm not quite sure what I have to do to allow the update. I used the sleeper iso and it did everything for me so I don't know which switch to hit to allow updating.
    Start reading here...

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=35525

Throg Guest
    Here we go again. I'm assuming that the TTG update is trying to occur. Since my last encounter with this problem I've rebuilt and used killhdinitrd for hacking. I've also used the upgradesoftware=false switch. I know how to let the box upgrade, but do I want to? Are there any drawbacks to the new software or to just letting it reboot everyday at 2:00AM?

Are there any drawbacks to the new software or to just letting it reboot everyday at 2:00AM?
    The major drawback to continuing to allow the tivo to reboot nightly is that your tivo will eventually stop pulling down guide data until the new software is installed.

On the plus side, many of the current hacks will work with the new software (7.1), such as the disable scrambling patch, the ability to monte, and mfs_ftp to pull down shows. You will also get a LBA48 aware kernel (which you don't have to build yourself), so you can support drives larger than 137GB which is a huge bonus.

But there are a few things that will not work with the new software, such as inserting shows via mfs_ftp and TWP. But updates to existing hacks to work with 7.1 are being provided daily, so it won't be too much longer before they will also work.

You can either go for it, and take the upgrade, or patch the tivoapp using the instructions here to ignore new updates and fix the "pending restart" issue forever. Your choice.
    Last edited by Tivonator; 03-02-2005 at 08:19 PM.
    Sony SVR3000 (322 hrs) with Lifetime
    TCD24004A (40 hrs) with Lifetime
    Manually updated to 9.3.1-01-2, All-In-One S2 utilities, Unofficial Superpatch-6789all, USB backport drivers, more to come...
    Series 3 Lite - unhacked (yet)...

Throg Guest
    While "I think I know what I'm doing", I'd like a little reassurance before I turn an upgrade into a disaster.

"bootpage -p /dev/hda" reports "root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false"

This is what "I think ..."
    If I flip the bootpage with "bootpage -f /dev/hda" and reboot the tivo, the upgrade will take place, hacks will disappear, and encryption will be restored. Then all I have to do is replace the kernel, killhdinitrd, disable encryption, disable netfilters, reinstall hacks. All my programs will still be playable and my software version will be 7.1.
    Am I right? Close?

Close...

[EDIT: Updated for upgrading to version 9.3.1 of the Tivo software]

You could also just remove the "upgradesoftware=false" in your bootpage and restart your tivo, then do a daily call. This will make the tivo reinstall the new software, but you'll have to pull the drive to rehack.

BUT, there's a better way to do it where you don't have to pull your drive, which is to install the software manually. Essentially you do the same steps that tivo would normally do during an upgrade, except that you also add the extra step of hacking your new software before Tivo officially runs it. This allows you to update your software and hack your box without having to pull the drive. The steps are relatively easy, and are described below:

1). Edit the /tvbin/installSw.itcl script, and replace the 'reboot' command in installSw.itcl to 'exit 0'.

2). Find out the latest software version ready to be installed on your tivo by running the following command:
    echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh

3). Install the software by running:
    /tvbin/installSw.itcl <software version>.
    example:
    /tvbin/installSw.itcl 9.1-01-2-110

This will place the latest software and kernel on your alternate partitions. If you get any errors, then do another daily call and repeat the process. This process will also flip your bootpage, but will preserve all of your other commands in your bootpage (like upgradesoftware=false).
    Check your bootpage and see where the software was just installed (bootpage -p). The root indicated by the bootpage is now the location of the NEW sofware partition.

4). Mount the alternate software partition (indicated in the bootpage), and copy in all your hacks, rc.sysinit.author, test.conf (if applicable), and whatever else you need. Also use the fix posted here by alldeadhomies for correction of an issue with the IP tables.

5). 'dd' in a killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel into the alternate kernel partition, overwriting the new kernel that was just installed. The alternate kernel partition will be 1 partition less than the partition returned by the command 'bootpage -p'. The command to copy the killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel into the alternate kernel partition is
    dd if=<killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel> of=<alternate partition>
    example:
    dd if=vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda6

6). The 3.1.5 kernel and the 8.1a network drivers don't play well together, so you'll need to use Jamie's USB backport drivers to keep your network card running.
    - First, determine the ethernet driver which are used by your ethernet card. The easiest way to do this is to open the '/etc/hotplug/usb.map' file, and find your network card. It will be listed under the device driver which the card uses. In my case, my card was listed under "device pegasus", indicating that my card uses the pegasus.o driver.
    - Second, determine your kernel version by running 'uname -a' on your tivo. Mine was 2.4.20.
    - Third, head over to Jamie's USB Backport thread, and grab his latest drivers. Extract his files, read his README.txt file, and locate his backport of the driver your network card needs. In my case, his new pegasus.o was in obj/drivers/2.4.20/. Be sure that you navigate to the directory which is appropriate for your kernel version. Transfer his driver to your tivo; you will use this driver instead of the one supplied with the 8.1 software.
    - Fourth, navigate to the new filesystem's /lib/modules folder, and back up the current driver that your network card would use. Then copy Jamie's backported USB driver into the new filesystem's /lib/modules folder, overwriting the existing driver.

7). Reboot.

8). Ensure that you are using a static IP address for the tivo. You set this in the tivo's "TCP/IP settings" screen. For whatever reason, DHCP does not work after the upgrade, so you have to use a static IP or your tivo will not be able to access your network.

You should now be at the latest software version with your current hacks installed. You'll still need to do a few manual hacks such as disable scrambling, but you should be able to telnet in and mess with it, and you should not have to pull the drive.

If you go the other way, and just let the tivo install the newest software version, then you'll still be performing steps 4-6, but you'll be doing them on your computer rather than in your tivo.
    Last edited by Tivonator; 10-06-2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Updated to support the upgrade to 9.3.1
    Manually updated to 9.3.1-01-2, All-In-One S2 utilities, Unofficial Superpatch-6789all, USB backport drivers, more to come...

Throg Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tivonator
    Close...
    That's what I was afraid of.
    Thanks for the outstanding response. I just spent a great deal of time reading through the monte'ing posts and while it does sound like the way to go, I currently feel a little overwhelmed by it. It's something I want to do .. just not now.
    That said .. I want to use the 'No thanks' patch for now and monte later. My only question with regard to the patch is the offset. For my version 4.0.1b I see this:
    5f78e4: 10400007 -> 10000007
    Do I convert 5f78e4 to dec then subtract 400000? Then repeat the math on:
    1144a40: 41444400 -> 41000000
    1144a60: 44524f50 -> 44000000
    ?

No, you take the offset for your software version, which is hex 5f78e4, and you subtract hex 400000. This will give you the actual HEX offset of the place to patch your tivoapp (you can do this on the windows calculator set to hex in scientific mode)

If you ftp your tivoapp down to your comp and look at the hex values in memory at that offset (using something like HexWorkShop), then you should see hex value 10400007. You want to replace it with 10000007, then upload it back over to the tivo.

For a better description, I recommend following Nutkase's instructions here to make sure that you are patching the correct location

While "I think I know what I'm doing", I'd like a little reassurance before I turn an upgrade into a disaster.

"bootpage -p /dev/hda" reports "root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false"

This is what "I think ..."
    If I flip the bootpage with "bootpage -f /dev/hda" and reboot the tivo, the upgrade will take place, hacks will disappear, and encryption will be restored. Then all I have to do is replace the., killhdinitrd, disable encryption, disable netfilters, reinstall hacks. All my programs will still be playable and my software version will be 7.1.
    Am I right? Close?

You don't need to flip the bootpage. To take an upgrade all you have to do is remove the 'upgradesoftware=false' from wherever you put it. Commonly, and I recommend, in a bootpage parameter.

You just telnet or serial in and write another bootpage leaving the 'upgradesoftware=false' parameter out. Alternatively, some set 'upgradesoftware=false' by 'exporting' it before the check in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit (not .author) but this leaves newbies open to forgetting to chmod one of their main boot files.

When an update occurs, all that happens is that, from your point of view, TiVo checks your bootpage and installs the software to the alternate partition pair. If your current, nicely hacked, tivo was killhdinitrd hacked on partition pair 3/4, then TiVo will install the new software on partition pair 6/7.

What you do is edit the /tvbin/InstallSW.itcl, as indicated by Tivonator above, to PREVENT the reboot that will 'end' your software install, making you pull your drive to copy your hacks or start over again, and leave you with a nice STOCK tivo operating from partition pair 6/7.

The 'upgradesoftware=false' parameter is preventing the installation of the new software although it's downloaded and sitting in mfs ready and waiting on 0200 to install itself.

When you remove 'upgradesoftware=false' the installation will begin whenever YOU want it to, and tell it to, by running /tvbin/InstallSW.itcl (pretend that its 0200am.) /etc/InstallSW.itcl will install everything 7.x related to the 6/7 pair, in this example. It'll continue running /tvbin/InstallSW.itcl and execute until your edited 'prevent' the final reboot line.

Now, you're in control again and you have time to hack 7.1x.

Now that 7.1x is installed write your new bootpage (using the new partition #, which is /dev/hda7 in this example), including all the dsscon etc. cool things you want.

Your tivo provided new bootpage in my example will be just 'root=/dev/hda7'

Check it, then rewrite it like your other one so you'll have all the nice serial output and be able to control the NEXT update that TiVo decides to force on you. No flipping required on your part. Check your bootpage again.

Apply a killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel to the new partition pair's kernel partition (in this example /dev/hda6), Mount /dev/hda7 (where 7.1x's /root partition is now located) and install all your hacks. You can 'tar' the whole directory if you've been efficient and untar in the new /root. At least, install your /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author, start telnet, and install and start tivoftpd (FTP).

Edit/Replace the /sbin/iptables file. This is 'instead' of editing /etc/rc.sysinit and 'disabling' netfilter or renaming 'netfilter-enable' like you did last time.)

Notice, all this has been accomplished with the drive still in your tivo, using telnet to set your bootpage and move your hacks.

Remember to 'chmod 755 /path/to/filename' if you edit anything while it's not on your tivo. This is a good time to install the 'newer' tivoftpd updated by 'dubbya' and posted on DDB by alldeadhomiez, if you're not using it already. Get it now and you won't have to chmod much ever again (only when moving files via serial, yuk.)

You can even hex edit your new 7.1x tivoapp to turn off encryption now if you want, assuming you have 7.1a-x.

Reboot when you're ready. The worse case is you'll have to pull your drive to fix a mistake on the bootpage writing or something.

If this didn't make any sense, search more. This has been desrcibed in pretty good detail on the software update from 4.0.1 to 4.0.1b.

Most of what I've written is implied in the post above from Tivonator (pretty good from memory) but there are some errors as noted below.

Hope this helps.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 09-08-2006 at 04:29 AM. Reason: grammer :)
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Throg Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    You don't need to flip the bootpage. <snip>
    Hope this helps.
    Helps? My God. That's all of the reading I just did summed up into one easy to read post. Thanks a LOT!
    When I killhdinitrd'd, I had my drive in and out of the TiVo restoring from backup so many times my head was spinning. I was learning the process as I was going. What I'm worried about is I think I may have killhdinitrd'd both /dev/hda3 and hda6. I know I did at one point. I just don't remember which point (beginning, middle, end) of experimenting. You wouldn't happen to know a down and dirty check that would reveal this answer, would you?

I'm not sure offhand if just flipping the bootpage will remove the "upgradesoftware=false".
    It won't.

you'll have to pull the drive to rehack using a monte (see this thread for more info on monteing) since there is no killhdinitrd yet for 7.1.
    No monte required. 7.1x has LBA48 large drive support and you can use the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd'd kernel to hack it. You won't need test.conf unless you know what you're doing and have established a unique need for it yourself.

5). Apply the manual monte using either a killhdinitrd'd 3.1.1c or 3.1.5 (with the corrections made here), and the 7.1xx killinitrd'd kernel just installed in the alternate kernel partition.
    Don't install monte as noted above.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 03-02-2005 at 12:20 AM. Reason: speling :)
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    Fully hacked SA S1

Helps? My God. That's all of the reading I just did summed up into one easy to read post. Thanks a LOT!
    Glad it helps, I worry about rambling into incomprehensibility (word?) or posting something out of my a$$ sometimes.

When I killhdinitrd'd, I had my drive in and out of the TiVo restoring from backup so many times my head was spinning.
    See! If you had waited on my long-winded post you wouldn't have had to pull your drive.

I was learning the process as I was going. What I'm worried about is I think I may have killhdinitrd'd both /dev/hda3 and hda6. I know I did at one point. I just don't remember which point (beginning, middle, end) of experimenting.
    Well, if you mean that you applied a killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel to both partitions (this is a nasty, confusing and lazy habit promoted by some recent guides (yuk!)) then you've written over the kernel that will boot into 4.x. This isn't necessarily a problem since you don't really need 4.x again...

You wouldn't happen to know a down and dirty check that would reveal this answer, would you?
    Sure. Reset your bootpage and flip it back to the other partiton. Again, No reason if your tivo is booting to where you want. Plus you won't confuse yourself.

EDIT - I just reread your post ...and I now understand that you were talking about when you originally killhdinitrd'd your tivo? If this is correct, don't worry about it. Just check where your bootpage is pointing to now and apply the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd'd kernel to the opposite kernel partition, 6 vs 3 in my example.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 02-28-2005 at 11:34 PM.
    Fully hacked SA S1

Throg Guest
    See! If you had waited on my long-winded post you wouldn't have had to pull your drive.
    I didn't do anything yet with regard to the 7.1 update. I was referring to when I killhdinitrd'd originally.

Well, if you mean that you applied a killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel to both partitions (this is a nasty, confusing and lazy habit promoted by some recent guides (yuk!)) then you've written over the kernel that will boot into 4.x. This isn't necessarily a problem since you don't really need 4.x again...
    Actually, I used the 4.0.1a killhdinitrd'd kernel. Can I still follow your long-winded instructions despite what I think I may have done if I didn't include the upgradesoftware=false in the unused (or other) partition?