Thread: Tivo without DVR service

Tivo without DVR service

Well, first of all, if you think this is a newbie question, please look at the number of posts I have... I am not a newbie in fact, but I have a question which would love for someone with more experience to help me along...

I am interested in archiving some programs off my DTiVo's, and would love to purchase a 2nd TiVo, so I could mfs-ftp all programs there for archival (I would like to move programs off my main TiVo after viewing them).

Obviously a SA Series 2 would be a good choice, since they are $50 now (directly from TiVo), and I can have folders which would help a lot.

Now, the question I have, is there any script I can install to avoid the nags and messages I get because of NOT subscribing the unit? I am interested in subscribing it, since in fact I would not be using the unit to record anything, just for playback... will fakecall/etc work for me?

Seems like pointless to pay for DVR functionality and guide data when I will not be using it...

Thanks for any info guys...

You may be able to get help here, but I'm not sure it will be public. What you are asking about is close to service theft. I know you are saying you don't want the service (or at least, if you fix your typo, that's what you'll be saying ), but did you ever think about WHY the S2 TiVo box is only $50*? It's precisely because you need a sub to use it at all, so TiVo is selling the hardware at a loss to get you to buy the service.

You may or may not consider it theft (even I'm not sure where I stand on the issue), but TiVo certainly would consider it as such.

That being said, I have seen some discussion of what you are talking about here, but I don't think they ever mentioned specifics.

* - Note that the $50 units are Refurbished, and it's an "after rebate" price. You can't get the rebate if you don't have service, and you have to sign up for the service if you order from TiVo.com (which is the only place I've seen the $50 deal........)

series 2 units require guide data to function, a script isn't going to cut it

you need to either hexedit tivoapp to change that or generate your own data from scratch

neither is topic is kosher here

you can probably find a ebay sa1 for $50 or so. a tivonet/turbonet will cost more than a usb eth adapter but fixsub/nagkiller work fine

(also keep in mind that s2 don't play s1dtivo audio without some conversion hassle)
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Yeah, it was a Typo, I am not interested in using the DVR properties, or the guide data. That said, I am also not interested in generating my own data from scratch... Just a way for not having NAG messages every now and then.

I have a S1 around... one of the old ones, when service was 'optional' and not required. It has been grandfathered several versions, and it works OK, but the hardware and software is aged a little.

Not only that, but I am unable to mfs-ftp ty streams from my S2's to my S1, because I end up with no audio on playback.

How about the TiVo 'basic' service? Only the Pioneer DVD recorder offers that limited functionality?

s2 -> s1 audio doesn't work???

between exactly what models?

Never mind, it's the other way around... S1 -> S2.

Quote Originally Posted by jasch
    How about the TiVo 'basic' service? Only the Pioneer DVD recorder offers that limited functionality?
    Actually, the Toshiba DVD Player TiVos offer that also. Probably much cheaper

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....3&type=product

$300 vs $600, new

I would also mention the new Multi-Service discount for anyone else reading this thread, though it doesn't really apply to you, Jasch, because you mentioned that you have only DTiVos. For everyone else though, it makes subbing second units much more palatable at $6 (or is it $7?) per month.

PM me; I have what you need.

Never mind, it's the other way around... S1 -> S2.
    I just moved 181 shows using mfs_ftp from an svr-2000 series 1 to a tivo series 2

Video and audio are fine.

I had no idea, this problem had been fixed with mfs_ftp, since it has been extensively discussed in the forums...

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=32022

I had no idea, this problem had been fixed with mfs_ftp, since it has been extensively discussed in the forums...

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=32022
    I read the thread you link to.

It is Dtivo to DTivo.

I have SA S1 to SA S2, which is why mine works.

The audio problem only occurs when transferring S1 DTivo files to an S2 DTivo. I think it's supposed to work fine in the other direction but I haven't tried it. Ironically, I have found that the audio plays fine if you begin playback on the S2 DTivo while the transfer is in progress. Something happens after the transfer has completed that kills the audio.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Yes, S2 DTIVO -> S1 DTIVO work ok...