View Poll Results: How much will you contribute to this bounty - READ 1st post before voting

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10

9 18.00%
  • $20

13 26.00%
  • $50

4 8.00%
  • $100 - (WHEW! sure glad I didn't have to void the warrenty with a prom mod)

7 14.00%
  • $0 - (gonna let somebody else foot the bill & HOPE the exploit appears)

5 10.00%
  • $5 - don't even own a hd unit but hey...

11 22.00%
  • $250 - category added by request

1 2.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HD-TIVO exploit bounty

Quote Originally Posted by rewrite
    I predict that the EFF is about to get a huge amount of donations, far exceeding the $1000 that HDT would like. One question for HDT: when you reach the desired level of donations, would the hack be released under the GPL?
    Since they said the source will be posted, you can theoretically do whatever you want with it.

Personally if its "something sneaky" that they do to the drive, I'd rather not have the source released so its not THAT easy for DirecTV/Tivo to close the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by SledgeHammer
    Since they said the source will be posted, you can theoretically do whatever you want with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    "HD TeAm" has submitted a sw only exploit for evaluation

the license is restricted distribution - but only to prevent resale / hero abuse
    it sounds like source will be released, but the license will not necessarily be GPL.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

JJBliss:

I'm sure the ebay scum will take this 'n run with it like everything else even though the license doesn't allow for that. hopefully we or the EFF can get ebay to enforce their own VERO policy

rewrite:

the license allows for distribution via ddb but doesn't place any code in the GPL. the readme asks folks to make a modest donation to the EFF
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    the readme asks folks to make a modest donation to the EFF
    Which I think is a good cause by itself...

I'm not planning anything, but since when have hackers ever followed license agreements? I think I'm violating about 27 right now .
    Last edited by SledgeHammer; 08-02-2004 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SledgeHammer
    I'm not planning anything, but since when have hackers ever followed license agreements? I think I'm violating about 27 right now .
    since when have ebayers followed license agreements either? its more a tool to take people down when abusing than a true detractor usually. CYA kinda thing...like tivo does in general
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Prepare for the slashdot effect...

We've hit slashdot
    Have a question? Try a search first...

Quote Originally Posted by Meklos
    We've hit slashdot
    I had no doubt that was going to happen. They love this stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by Meklos
    We've hit slashdot
    Unfortunately, the Internet has given a voice to everyone, including the ignorant and uninformed.

I spent a few minutes reading the conversations around the headline and I have come to a conclusion... there are 3 types of people that post on slashdot.

1st - People that are informed and objective
    2nd - People that need drama in their lives and will use any excuse to drum some up
    3rd - The unfortunate that are just plain stupid

Unfortunately, there are way too many people in categories 2 and 3.

There may be some others that I missed, but I think that sums it up pretty well.

is the donation link available yet?

is the donation link available yet?
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...8&postcount=12

With literally hundreds if not thousands of /. readers hitting this thread, I can guarantee you that many of them are willing to donate to the EFF for this cause if they were given an easier way to do so than by registering, PM'ing, and waiting for a reply.

By the way, to all the /. visitors- feel free to check out the series 2 development forum while you're here.

With literally hundreds if not thousands of /. readers hitting this thread, I can guarantee you that many of them are willing to donate to the EFF for this cause if they were given an easier way to do so than by registering, PM'ing, and waiting for a reply.

By the way, to all the /. visitors- feel free to check out the series 2 development forum while you're here.
    I am sure you are right, but until the link is up, anyone can register and pm if they want to contribute.

The link is now up.

Yeah, slashdot posters are ****ing annoying, and the editors have been posting a load of crap in the last few months. Good thing I have some moderator points right now, though unfortunately it's not going to be enough to bring some sanity to that article.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?