Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rewriting Dtivo Prom

Rewriting Dtivo Prom

Recently Dircetv closed my Tivo Lifetime account (must be related to canceling my DTV sub..). At this point I figure I can either hack the unit with fixup02c or re-activate a minimum sub. Before I go to 2.5 I would like to make sure I can revert back to 2.0.1.

Is it fairly simple to rewrite the prom?

Where are the 2.5 installation files stored? I would like to make a backup after the down load before the restart.

Milhouse.

prom

let me know if you have any backups of your prom. Or if anyone out there has any images of there proms. I'd love to be able to reflash. As I understand 2.0.1 will boot on machines with 2.5. So for sure at least the current prom being used in 2.5beta will still work should we wish to go back to 2.0. 2.5 does not run on machines with the older prom just wont boot.

Is the 2.5 beta hackable like 2.0.1? i.e chattr +i

milhouse.

Nope

2.5 is locked out....and is also in beta. When they release the darn thing Im sure it will only take a couple of days to get back in. My major problem is if Tivo starts locking out older software via the proms.

I've got two prom image files for the Philips DSR6000. One is from Sept 2000 which should be pre-file-checking and the other is from March 2001, which I'm guessing came with 2.01 and includes file-checking. If anyone wants to give them a shot just let me know...

2.5, 2.0.1 .002

So here is what I can do. Unsolder the flash chips on my 2.5 box reflash with a programer, I'd like to just socket the flash chips not sure if I well do that. Surfacemounts are a pain. I was planing to slap in a 2.01 drive and reflash via that. How ever with the current prom I am running I am only able to boot .002 with the checking and cant not get back in to flash. So the only thing I think Im left to do with this box is to just sit back and wait till someone makes it into 2.5. I have a few combo box's here and will start trying to walk one of them into 2.5 by hand. I hope to learn a little about how tivo goes about its upgrades. Direct TV will make tivo lock these box's down. A prom can happen anytime they feel like it. Im not sure about you but the idea of an auto upgrade is not somthing I want to see happen. Does anyone know of ANY way to simulate the sat feed? I'd like to give Dtivo a legit feed other then DirectTV. So many thing I'd like to do so little time!

Originally posted by surgeon
    I've got two prom image files for the Philips DSR6000. One is from Sept 2000 which should be pre-file-checking and the other is from March 2001, which I'm guessing came with 2.01 and includes file-checking. If anyone wants to give them a shot just let me know...
    You might check with Lure and see if he wants to host them with the drive images.

LM

Re: 2.5, 2.0.1 .002

Originally posted by GoneSilent
    How ever with the current prom I am running I am only able to boot .002 with the checking and cant not get back in to flash. So the only thing I think Im left to do with this box is to just sit back and wait till someone makes it into 2.5.

can you download an image(if it's there) of .001(.000?) and load it to flash with? or does the prom version keep you from booting with anything less than .002?

30 Re: 2.5, 2.0.1 .002

Originally posted by GoneSilent
    with the current prom I am running I am only able to boot .002 with the checking and cant not get back in to flash. So the only thing I think Im left to do with this box is to just sit back and wait till someone makes it into 2.5. I have a few combo box's here and will start trying to walk one of them into 2.5 by hand
    A couple of questions:

Since you have access to other combo boxes can you swap-in the drive with 2.5 on it and let us know if it boots fine with an earlier prom? If so, then we can advise everyone to cut the #WE line on the prom chip to avoid having it get upgraded.

Also, can't the "imutable" bit be set on files under 2.01.002 and still boot? I thought on 2.5 did the re-looping thing???

-Surgeon-

Has any one tried:
    - taking a unit that was updated to 2.5.
    - putting in a 2.0.1 drive.
    - boot up with "$updateprom" set to true.

from looking at the rc.sysinit, that should cause the unit to update the prom.

Milhouse.

if somebody here smart enough to patch new prom to skip kernel partition signature checking we can get back in it....
    anyway box locked very good...
    1st it check kernel signature in prom
    if it's correct it load kernel with ramdisk
    and linuxrc start checking filesystem
    and old proms simply doesnt have code for directv tuners
    so old prom not gonna make you happy
    Eel sushi rules!

yes it does

the old prom has been vary helpfull when compaired with the new =] checking has been there for ahile now not turned on.

what do you mean by that?
    Eel sushi rules!

checking

I ment that the code or section that I can see pretaining to the boot checking has been in the proms that people have sent me. It has not been turn on. Im waiting for someone to post a prom of the current 2.5 release all mine are betas. also please someone upgrade there box and before it reboot remove the drive and back it up. I need a current 2.5 release that I can restore. I can not restore a 2.5 image if the machine has been rebooted. you can change the ser# on the drives, see other posts about its location. I how ever have not tryed with the new 2.5 to boot/upgrade in this fashion.

shit- I wish I'd seen this post last night! I got upgraded and though about backing up, but just went ahead and rebooted

quick question- once updated can I backup 2.5, restore 2.01 and then in the future restore 2.5 again? I don't have dual tuners and I'd like to keep fixup running for the nonce.

thanks!
    Last edited by synthesis; 09-08-2001 at 10:45 PM.