Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: killhdinitrd 0.9.x Support Thread

Hybrid View

killhdinitrd 0.9.x Support Thread

Please use this thread for all support questions dealing with the newly released killhdinitrd

Any posts made to the development forum that do not deal directly with furthering the development will be deleted with no prior warning.
    Last edited by rc3105; 10-20-2004 at 04:37 PM.

converting from a sleeper monte to a killhdinitrd config

first of all, apologies to JJBliss for hijacking his post

converting to a killhdinitrd'd config will make updates & such SO much simpler

-----

1) get killhdinitrd from the killhdinitrd thread

2) get a virgin copy of a compatible kernel from a backup / friend / whatnot, also linked to in this thread

3) put both on a fat32 hd in your pc, boot into linux or from a mfstool, ptvupgrade lba48 or sleeper (ick) iso and apply killhdinitrd to the kernel (the ptv iso currently has pre-modded kernels but that may change)

4) transfer the killhdinitrd'd kernel to /var in your sleeper'd tivo and install it to hda3 & hda6 with "dd if=/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda3" and "dd if=/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda6"

(at this point the tivo will still use the wacky boot parms, romfs & monte, but it'll work just fine)

5) figure out what what your root partition really is

use "bootpage -p /dev/hda" and look in the result for "root=/dev/hda4" or "root=/dev/hda7". in the brain damaged sleeper configuration, the actual root is the opposite:

hda4 means use hda7
    hda7 means use hda4

6) if hda4 is your real root, update the boot parms to "root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" with the command

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" /dev/hda

7) set the kernel partiton to 1 less than the root partition with the command and the alternate kernel partition to 1 less than the alternate root partition with the commands

"bootpage -B 3 /dev/hda"
    "bootpage -A 6 /dev/hda"

8) enjoy a nice simple FAST (no initrd scan) boot process
    Last edited by alldeadhomiez; 11-20-2004 at 04:23 PM.

Place Holder #2

Place Holder #2

Place Holder #3

Last edited by rc3105; 10-12-2004 at 04:38 AM.

A little confusion here. It will work on a bunch of hardware, but not the latest SA S2 with the nightlight, but only if you are running one of the 2 hardcoded software versions? Is the limited software selection just cause those are the most common or cause it is still beta? Is it possible to apply it to 4.x and 5.x if the correct offsets are applied? I am guessing that the flaw is bios related, but can't read code well enough to tell.

3.1.5 & 5.x run slightly different builds of a 2.4.20 kernel

while killhdinitrd doesn't specifically support the 5.x build yet (if ever) I can say that my 810, hdvr2 & sa2 are all quite happy running 5.2 on a 3.1.5 build

if build differences ever present a problem (5.3? 5.4?) it's feasable to boot the 3.1.5 kernel & monte. this is more usefull than the usual 3.1u5 approach because it supports HR10-250 hardware & provides uninterrupted lba48 support (don't need a slide rule for unusual partition layouts)

the "limited sw selection" is a combination of beta status & lack of need for additional support

fyi:

you should not attempt to boot 3.1u5 & monte into a killhdinitrd'd kernel, the exploits may conflict

the second kernel in any monte chain should have it's initrd disabled with the classic killinitrd, NOT killhdinitrd

booting with a killhdinitrd'd kernel & then monte'ng into a stock or killinitrd'd kernel should work perfectly
    Last edited by rc3105; 08-04-2004 at 05:06 AM.
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Quote Originally Posted by JJBliss

3) put both on a fat32 hd in your pc, boot into linux or from a mfstool, ptvupgrade lba48 or sleeper (ick) iso and apply killhdinitrd to the kernel (the ptv iso currently has pre-modded kernels but that may change)

4) transfer the killhdinitrd'd kernel to /var in your sleeper'd tivo and install it to hda3 & hda6 with "dd if=/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda3" and "dd if=/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda6"

(at this point the tivo will still use the wacky boot parms, romfs & monte, but it'll work just fine)

use "bootpage -p /dev/hda" and look in the result for "root=/dev/hda4" or "root=/dev/hda7". in the brain damaged sleeper configuration, the actual root is the opposite:

hda4 means use hda7
    hda7 means use hda4

6) if hda4 is your real root, update the boot parms to "root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" with the command

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" /dev/hda

7) set the kernel partiton to 1 less than the root partition with the command and the alternate kernel partition to 1 less than the alternate root partition with the commands

"bootpage -B 3 /dev/hda"
    "bootpage -A 6 /dev/hda"

can someone help translae this into a newbie step by step method?? i'm lost or direct me to a place to read up the info. so far i mange to upgrade my tivo hd space only.. tia

Quote Originally Posted by JJBliss
    first of all, apologies to JJBliss for hijacking his post

converting to a killhdinitrd'd config will make updates & such SO much simpler

-----

1) get killhdinitrd from the killhdinitrd thread

2) get a virgin copy of a compatible kernel from a backup / friend / whatnot, also linked to in this thread

hda4 means use hda7
    hda7 means use hda4

"bootpage -B 3 /dev/hda"
    "bootpage -A 6 /dev/hda"

OK, I think I get this. I have 3.1.5e on my new HDTivo. I'm using a PTV Upgrade LBA48 CD, so in step five it will report correctly for me not opposite right?

If I install the drive from the TiVo on the Secondary Master, then I will use these commands but with hdc instead of hda right?

Lastly, I was having trouble accessing the ftp site linked from the third post with the virgin kernels. Are these still available there? Someplace else?

I'm about ready to go, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Xaa

Quote Originally Posted by Xaa
    OK, I think I get this. I have 3.1.5e on my new HDTivo. I'm using a PTV Upgrade LBA48 CD, so in step five it will report correctly for me not opposite right?
    Right. If bootpage indicates the root partition is 7, the boot (kernel) partition is 6. Likewise for 4 and 3.

If I install the drive from the TiVo on the Secondary Master, then I will use these commands but with hdc instead of hda right?
    Again, that is correct.
    Lastly, I was having trouble accessing the ftp site linked from the third post with the virgin kernels. Are these still available there? Someplace else?
    That site appears to be down. Check the image begging thread in the Newbie forum. A couple of sources were listed on 8-27-05.

I'm about ready to go, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Xaa
    One bit of advice. It's only television. Relax, nobody will care if the TiVo isn't working for a few days.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Thanks Bill

One more...well maybe two more questions.

I got the PTV CD with enhancements and it has the kernel on it so I'm set, but it is vmlinux_.gz and I think I need it to end up vmlinux.px is that right?

I used gzip -d on it and it ends up simply vmlinux_ The instructions call for a .px extension, can I just add it? Is there a step I'm missing?

Then, once I have it can I simplay do step 4 with this command

dd if=/mnt/dos/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdc3 (I've mounted my fat32 drive as /mnt/dos)

I'm coming along. Thanks for the help.

OK, I figured out that I just needed to extract the kernel using winrar, so that was good, then I did what I suggested to myslef above and it seems to have worked. Onward and upward for me. Thanks again.

Pioneer 810 Upgrade and Killhinitrd

I have sucessfully upgraded my disk to a 200 Gig. I am no looking to add the hacks. It is my understanding that I should use the Killhiinitrd software instead of the Monte. Where do I obtain the software, and where do I find a list of commands I must run on the Tivo after the hard drive has been re-installed post Killhinitrd.

Thanks, any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Pioneer 810 Hack

Thanks, I now have the killhdinitrd0.9.0 software but am still uncertain as to how to use it. It is my understanding that I need to boot my system with a 3.1.5 kernel.

Can someone lead me to some instructions on how to proceed from this point. I am mainly looking to get Telnet and FTP working. Does this procedure load the FTP and Telnet files and other hacks like the monte, or do I use the monte in conjunction with this somehow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Uh, no... no extra programs are installed. You'll need to copy them onto the drive yourself. It's really trivial.

Nothing is installed automatically with a "monte" either. The only way that hacks are automatically installed is with Sleeper's TivoScripts...
    Questions? Problems?
    1. How to avoid asking needless questions
    2. How to ask smart questions

"... and this is your computer on drugs. Any questions?"