first of all, apologies to JJBliss for hijacking his post
converting to a killhdinitrd'd config will make updates & such SO much simpler
1) get killhdinitrd from the killhdinitrd thread
2) get a virgin copy of a compatible kernel from a backup / friend / whatnot, also linked to in this thread
3) put both on a fat32 hd in your pc, boot into linux or from a mfstool, ptvupgrade lba48 or sleeper (ick) iso and apply killhdinitrd to the kernel (the ptv iso currently has pre-modded kernels but that may change)
4) transfer the killhdinitrd'd kernel to /var in your sleeper'd tivo and install it to hda3 & hda6 with "dd if=/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda3" and "dd if=/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda6"
(at this point the tivo will still use the wacky boot parms, romfs & monte, but it'll work just fine)
5) figure out what what your root partition really is
use "bootpage -p /dev/hda" and look in the result for "root=/dev/hda4" or "root=/dev/hda7". in the brain damaged sleeper configuration, the actual root is the opposite:
hda4 means use hda7
hda7 means use hda4
6) if hda4 is your real root, update the boot parms to "root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" with the command
bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" /dev/hda
7) set the kernel partiton to 1 less than the root partition with the command and the alternate kernel partition to 1 less than the alternate root partition with the commands
"bootpage -B 3 /dev/hda"
"bootpage -A 6 /dev/hda"
8) enjoy a nice simple FAST (no initrd scan) boot process