Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: killhdinitrd 0.9.x Support Thread

Hope this is the right place to ask - do we need a killhdinitrd update to handle kernel 7.3-oth-01-2-140 that was just pushed to SA Tivos? I'd like to upgrade my box so it will quit restarting every night (using these instructions), but I assume I need to killhdinitrd the kernel after the upgrade is applied.

And since my memory is foggy (long couple of months since my initial hacking), I assume that after the kernel upgrade I can just dd the upgraded kernel partition and use that as my "vanilla" kernel to patch?

Details:
    Tivo Series 2 24004A, with single 200GB HDD
    7.2.2b-oth-01-2-140, with killhdinitrd 0.9.3

Quote Originally Posted by diamondsw
    Hope this is the right place to ask - do we need a killhdinitrd update to handle kernel 7.3-oth-01-2-140 that was just pushed to SA Tivos? I'd like to upgrade my box so it will quit restarting every night (using these instructions), but I assume I need to killhdinitrd the kernel after the upgrade is applied.
    No update to killhdinitrd is needed. Just use the same kernel you've been using: either 7.2.2-oth-K1 or 3.1.5.

Okay, what if you (quite accidentally) allow the 7.3 kernel to boot (removing all hacks, etc), and presumably convert the mfs database? At this point, is it possible to revert to a 7.2.2 kernel with killhdinitrd, or is the kernel completely independent of the software on the filesystem? I'm guessing the latter, since people discuss still using 4.0.1b, but I just want to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondsw
    Okay, what if you (quite accidentally) allow the 7.3 kernel to boot (removing all hacks, etc), and presumably convert the mfs database? At this point, is it possible to revert to a 7.2.2 kernel with killhdinitrd, or is the kernel completely independent of the software on the filesystem? I'm guessing the latter, since people discuss still using 4.0.1b, but I just want to make sure.
    The kernel knows nothing about mfs. There is no problem using a 7.2.2 kernel with 7.3. Even the 3.1.5 kernel will work, although there are problems if you want to us dhcp.

TCD649080 support

I have a fairly new TCD649080 DT Tivo. I have upgraded the disk to 300GiB - it was very easy using the tools and instructions available here. I am now trying to load a modified kernel to apply additional hacks, but have been unsuccessful. I tried both a 7.2.2-oth-K1 and a 3.1.5 kernel. The tivo starts with the 'Welcome' screen and then within a minute or two, goes to a grey screen and every thing then just hangs, never getting to the 'just wait' screen.

I've tried loading the kernels with tpip (and using tpip to set swap) and using dd. Both methods fail with the same results. I can then take the disk and just reload my original kernel (extracted via tpip or dd) and everything works fine again (but no hacks).

I am beginning to think that these kernels are not compable with the DT. Has anyone successfully hacked either the TCD649080 or the TCD649180?

Is there anything else I should try?

Can someone give me details on killhdinitrc and maybe I can modify it to work with my kernel image.

Thanks,
    Dave

My Equipment Details:
    TCD649080, software version: 7.3-oth-01-2-649

Build string from the kernel image:
    Linux version 2.4.20 (buildmaster52) (gcc version 3.3.4) #1 Fri May 26 01:41:30 PDT 2006

Quote Originally Posted by dgoeken
    I have a fairly new TCD649080 DT Tivo. ..
    Like the Series 2.5's, killhdinitrd won't work on a 649 (sadt) [ref]. You might call it a S2.6. A prom mod is the only current public method to break the chain of trust. I f you search a little, you might find some posts that will make this a bit easier than it used to be, but it still involves significant hardware modifications.

Far as I know, no one has publicly release the prom code patches necessary to bypass security checks in a 649. I have heard the PROM code is significantly different than it used to be, and I'm certain that the old prom patches won't work as is without some additional effort.
    Last edited by Jamie; 07-14-2006 at 11:23 PM.

From my logs :

Aug 11 06:02:53 (none) PhoneHome[1311]: NewSoftware: SwSystem 7.3.1-oth-01-2-140 is present but NOT active.
    It looks like I pulld down 7.3.1 .. I just wanted to confirm following the above mentioned instructions to recopy my 7.2 killhdinitrd'ed kernel over it without trouble.

Is there any reason as to why the latest kernel hasn't / won't take to killhdinitrd ?

Quote Originally Posted by ercdvs
    It looks like I pulld down 7.3.1 .. I just wanted to confirm following the above mentioned instructions to recopy my 7.2 killhdinitrd'ed kernel over it without trouble. Is there any reason as to why the latest kernel hasn't / won't take to killhdinitrd ?
    No reason why the "7.2.2-oth-K1" killhdinitrd kernel won't work; the "3.1.5" killhdinitrd kernel works fine...
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan
    No reason why the "7.2.2-oth-K1" killhdinitrd kernel won't work; the "3.1.5" killhdinitrd kernel works fine...

just making sure. It seems odd that we would pull down & install a new kernel, but revert to an older kernel revision and keep those changes (if i am reading things correctly)

Quote Originally Posted by ercdvs View Post
    just making sure. It seems odd that we would pull down & install a new kernel, but revert to an older kernel revision and keep those changes (if i am reading things correctly)
    OK, it's time to roll out the analogy again. Think of the software as an automobile and the kernel as it's engine. Every year Ford rolls out a new line of cars with new bodies, a few new 'features' that don't work right, and the same old unreliable engine. I chose Ford because they used the same engine in the Thunderbird, the Expedition, and the F-150 pickup. Pulling the engine out of a T-bird and putting it into an F-150 doesn't change your pickup into a 'sports car'.

Similarly, using the kernel from a older, compatible software version does not change the features of the new software. Within a given software series (3.1.1x, 3.1.5x, 7.x) the only changes in the kernel have been related to security (initrd and signature) and identification (build number and date). Killhdinitrd can work on a kernel only if a fortuitous combination of instructions can be found.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 08-11-2006 at 07:24 PM.
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

noted.

Sorry for having to revert the thread to noob mode.. I know my way around *nix, but some topics are still cloudy..

loading the new SW now ...

This may have been covered before, but I've done A LOT of reading and cannot find a solution.

I bought a 2nd TiVo for MRV purposes and chose a used TCD240 model for hackablitity. I registered and subscribed the new unit with TiVo, check that the MAKs matched and successfully tested MRV both ways between my original TCD540 and the new TCD240.

At this point I was ready to start hacking. I had 7.2.2 on both machines and starting worrying about the new 7.3 updates and possible slowdown problems. I successfully installed killhdinitrd 0.9.3 onto my TCD240, put tivotools on it, turned software upgrades off and got both telnet and FTP working. I did not dd the killhdinitrd kernel onto the alternate partition, should I???

My problem is that MRV no longer works, neither machine shows the other in the NowPlaying list. My TCD540 has by now updated to 7.3.1 and my TCD240 is still running 7.2.2 (even though it has received 7.3 on the alternate partition). I can successfully telnet into my TCD240 and FTP files to it, but neither MRV or even web browser access is working (via https).

I'm pretty sure I turned off the TCD240 firewall correctly. I am using static IPs, no DHCP. I am also using all wired connections, no wireless. I have tried adding my router and TCD540 into the hosts file in case it is some sort of DNS problem.

Anyone have any ideas why my MRV is not working?

I'm also looking forward to enabling NCID. Thanks All.

Quote Originally Posted by dcahoe
    I successfully installed killhdinitrd 0.9.3 onto my TCD240, put tivotools on it, turned software upgrades off and got both telnet and FTP working. I did not dd the killhdinitrd kernel onto the alternate partition, should I???
    No, it is not necessary to dd the killhdinitrd kernel to the alternate partition.
    My problem is that MRV no longer works, neither machine shows the other in the NowPlaying list. My TCD540 has by now updated to 7.3.1 and my TCD240 is still running 7.2.2 (even though it has received 7.3 on the alternate partition).
    This might be your problem; see here for why blocking software upgrades can bite you. You'll probably want to upgrade the software on your 240. I documented a process (based upon the work of others) I used successfully a number of times here; read through the basics, ask questions if you need to and take your time so you don't end up having to pull your drive. Another possible reason MRV wouldn't work would be if you applied the Superpatch to one machine only, although it doesn't sound like you did that. And as I'm sure you know by now, you need a PROM mod to hack that 540!
    Last edited by ScanMan; 08-16-2006 at 01:26 PM.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Quote Originally Posted by dcahoe View Post
    This may have been covered before, but I've done A LOT of reading and cannot find a solution. ...
    This doesn't sound to me like it has anything to do with killhdinitrd. To find out for sure, try running with a stock kernel & system on both systems. Do they see each other then?

There are a number of possible issues: network config, tivo software version, etc. If you are doing any manual network configuration (e.g. ifconfig commands), don't. Do all the network config through the tivo UI. Otherwise the tivo software won't be listening for the HME/HMO/MRV broadcast packets. You will also probably need to take the 7.3.1 update. The MRV keys/certs changed with this release (look for orome keys verses gilbert in /State/Keyring). If tivo thinks you have 7.3.1 and is sending you the new keys/certs, but you are actually running 7.2.2, MRV probably won't work.

I'd suggest you start a newbie thread. I don't think this thread is the appropriate place to debug this.

I have the $5 PTV upgrade CD with 7.2.2-oth-K1

However, when I try to give the command:

dd if=/mnt/e/vmlinuxKilled.px of=/dev/hda6
    It reports back that hda6: not enought space

bootpage reports that hda7 is the active partition. Somewhere here I read that if hda7 is active partition you should dd hda6 and hda3. Is that correct?