Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: killhdinitrd 0.9.x Support Thread

Looks about like mine, except I have 'sleep 10' after the '8817' line, and 'sleep 100' after the 'ifconfig' line. Also, no space before the '/bin' in the first line-that alone may do it.

Quote Originally Posted by whackit
    okay... I'm a noob again. forgive me. trying to get this working on my hdr10-250. I have read as much as I can and now I'm into the beer so it looks as though my evening is done. Here is my process, if anyone could please enlighten me as to what I may have ommitted/done incorrectly i would be in your debt.
    You need to install devbin.tar to get the following commands. You can do this while your drive is in the PC or later since you're installing ftp.

Code:
    bin/chgrp
    bin/chown
    bin/chroot
    bin/cksum
    bin/comm
    bin/csplit
    bin/cut
    bin/dir
    bin/dircolors
    bin/expand
    bin/false
    bin/fmt
    bin/fold
    bin/groups
    bin/head
    bin/hostname
    bin/id
    bin/install
    bin/join
    bin/less
    bin/logname
    bin/ls
    bin/md5sum
    bin/mkfifo
    bin/mknod
    bin/netbin
    bin/netcat
    bin/nice
    bin/nl
    bin/nohup
    bin/od
    bin/paste
    bin/pathchk
    bin/pdisk
    bin/pr
    bin/ps
    bin/rmdir
    bin/rsync
    bin/split
    bin/strace
    bin/su
    bin/sum
    bin/tac
    bin/tail
    bin/tar
    bin/tee
    bin/touch
    bin/tr
    bin/true
    bin/tty
    bin/unexpand
    bin/uniq
    bin/unzip
    bin/uptime
    bin/vdir
    bin/wc
    bin/SendKey

Quote Originally Posted by patriot
    Has anyone taken Sleeper's Tivoscripts ISO apart yet and revamped it?

I am looking at the one I have v1.02 and not being a linux expert, I would need help as to what file is the one that runs all the options on the cd. How I could replace the killinitrd with the current killhdinitrd.

btw, is the default harddrive option (Backup Original Tivo Drive to C Drive) on sleepers iso ok to use to backup my current HD Tivo Harddrive to a 40GB FAT Harddrive? My HD Tivo has only booted once just to see that it worked. There are no shows recorded on it.

patriot
    You wouldn't want to do it this way really. Most of sleeper's scripting was to organize the partitions for monte. Thats unecessary when you use killhdinitrd. You can use the backup/restore from tivoscripts just fine. You could also run the hacks portion after you manually do the stuff with killhdinitrd but you would not want to run surgery.

I don't think you will see an automated utility for hacking using the killhdinitrd except for whatever can be purchased from pvtupgrade for many reasons that you can research in various places around the forum. The steps to do it by hand don't look all that tricky though. Nowhere near as complex as monte. I suppose I might be oversimplifying it though having never done the new method myself.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

well, despite my hopes it wasn't the space. I do intend to install binaries... I was just wanting to get bash and ftp going first. That seems where I am stuck. Done puling drives for tonight, will investigate tommorrow. Thanks all.

I again perused my drive. I am not sure I am modifying the correct partition with my rc.sysinit.author file. I assumed that since I was modifying a backup the only partition that had anything would be the correct one, now however, I looked and there is no rc.sysinit file in the rc.d directory I am modifying (the files there are rc.S and rc.inet1). I am missing something? I can't seem to mount the other partition, I get the "specify file sytem" message. So here are my questions.

1. am I placing rc.sysinit.author in the correct partition? How do I check?

2. Is that all to get your hacks up, killhdinitrd and the rc.sysinit.author or am I really missing something?

3. what should I look for in log to see that modules are loading (in case it is a hardwrae problem)?

Thank you wise ones.
    Last edited by whackit; 08-12-2004 at 02:10 AM.
    Sat T-60 130 HRS 3.5
    Tivoweb Plus, MFS FTP, Cachecard, Elseed
    HR10-250 80 hrs, killhdinitrd, MFS FTP, Tivoweb Plus

malfunct, Thx for the input

I am going to use sleepers tivoscript iso and do the backup with it, then do the killhdinitrd manually, and go back to sleepers iso and skip the surgery. as you said, the rest of the hacks would be fine? would this include the networking and no scramble ? From what I am reading, I think there is some manual work to do in a hex editor to get noscramble. Its been a while since I ran sleepers iso so not sure if this is part of the surgery.

my other question was if the HD Tivo Harddriver backup would fit on a 40gb FAT HD?

patriot

after trying to get sleepers tivoscript iso to make the backup image, I found that it failed.

Hmm now guess I am going to try the mfs tools cd.

I see there are several version of this CD, is there a cirtain one or any will work?

after trying to get sleepers tivoscript iso to make the backup image, I found that it failed.

I see there are several version of this CD, is there a cirtain one or any will work?
    You need too boot with an OS that is LBA48 compatible like Knoppix or PTV Upgrade's LBA48 Boot CD.
    Last edited by rc3105; 01-01-2005 at 03:24 PM. Reason: updated link to ptvupgrade's lba48 cd

I have completed modding my HDTIVO but a friend asked me this question and I don't know the answer:

I just (yesterday) made a clone of my original drive and replaced it
    with a married pair of Maxtor drives. Can I put the "A" drive in my
    PC to patch the kernel or do I have to start all over again with a
    single disk config?

Anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whackit
    3. what should I look for in log to see that modules are loading (in case it is a hardwrae problem)?

Thank you wise ones.
    First of all, if you do not see rc.sysinit in your /etc/rc.d folder, the most common reason for this is becasue you accidentally went to the rc.d folder on your MFStools CD.

Try this: (assuming your booted off of the MFSTools48LBA48 disc, your Tivo drive is secondary master and your MFS2LBA48 disc is either hda or hdb)
    mkdir /mnt/7
    mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt/7
    cd /mnt/7/etc/rc.d
    ls

is you rc.sysinit in there?

Second, if you are interested in finding out which module load, simply add something like this:

echo "loading ethernet drivers"

then later in the script...

echo "starting mips FPTd"

then you can check your logs to see where or if your script hung.

In my case, for some reason the rc.sysinit.author file I created isn't being executed from rc.sysinit, and the logs in /var/log/kernel say no such file or directory (any idea why this would be this way? I did chmod +x the rc.sysinit.author file)
    Last edited by rewrite; 08-12-2004 at 03:51 PM.

okay. Maybe it was the heat, maybe it was the stupidity...

for some reason I tried again this morning and was able to mount the active partition and get it all working. I was in the wrong partition before. All I can think is that you have to install the killhdinitrd, then boot, then modify your partition. Anyway. All working now.
    Sat T-60 130 HRS 3.5
    Tivoweb Plus, MFS FTP, Cachecard, Elseed
    HR10-250 80 hrs, killhdinitrd, MFS FTP, Tivoweb Plus

LBA48 and MFStools 2.0

Yes, there are differnet versions of the disc, and you want the one with LBA48 support. This is the one I used:
    LBA48 (large disk) MFSTools image

Here is a page that explains the differences:

instructions about big disk MFStools

rewrite, I used the one you said for LBA48. I formatted a 40 GB HD to FAT32, then booting up to the MSFTools CD, I ran the command to backup the HDTivo HD to the 40GB Drive.
    dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdb
    I had my tivo Drive has Sec Master, and the 40GB HD as Pri Slave.
    When it was done it said

38173+0 records in
    38172+0 records out

1st question is, are the records in and records out suppost to be exectly the same?

2nd question, is this is a backup image it put on the drive? if so, I can no longer read the 40GB drive in windows or DOS. It now looks at the drive as not partitioned.

I know from using sleepers iso before on a standard S2 unit, I could still read the harddrive and see the image.

Thx rewrite for pointing me to the right file

Patriot
    Last edited by patriot; 08-12-2004 at 09:12 PM.

Ok I think I understand after reading more,

the dd command is a copy command and not a commpressed image command.
    seems that the term backup can be used as backing up with a exact copy or making a compressed image of the sorce file.

When it was done it said

38173+0 records in
    38172+0 records out

1st question is, are the records in and records out suppost to be exectly the same?
    Yes, the records in and records out are supposed to be the same. Will one block matter? I don't know. Just to be safe, hack your backup, never your original.

2nd question, is this is a backup image it put on the drive? if so, I can no longer read the 40GB drive in windows or DOS. It now looks at the drive as not partitioned.
    Patriot
    No, dd is an exact secotr-for-sector copy, so DOS or Windows shouldn't be able to see it- but you should be able to mount /dev/hdX7 under MFStools (where X is what drive it is on.)v

As a matter of fact, thats what you need to do next:

1. Take your original, OEM drive, put it in an antistatic bag, and hide it far away.

2. Put your copy on secondary master, boot up the MFSToolsLBA48CD, and try to mount your tivo drive like this:

mkdir /mnt/7
    mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt/7

does that work?

If so, its time to put killhdinitrd onto a DOS floppy, mount it with

mkdir flop
    mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /flop

(you're going to use this to run the HDTeAM on hack on your kernel)
    Last edited by rewrite; 08-12-2004 at 10:05 PM.

Thx rewrite!
    This is alot more clear now

Quote Originally Posted by MarkZ
    it took my computer (a not particularly stellar box) about 6 hours to make the copy during which time you get absolutely no feedback. You might try the bs option (blocksize) as I assume a larger than default blocksize would speed things up.
    Im using a pretty fast pc to do this, 3.2GHz 64bit Atlon,1GB RAM and so far its been over 4 hrs. What blocksizes should be used?
    dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdb bs 1024
    ??
    Last edited by patriot; 08-13-2004 at 12:58 AM.