Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sleeper vs. mods

Although the Sleeper ban is not up for debate, I will detail the reasons why he was removed to correct the FUD that Tiros posted:

repeated accusations against moderators and other users (e.g. the "HD TeAm" accusations)

repeated disrespect toward moderators and other users (e.g. calling us "dicks" and telling us to "f uck ourselves")

questioning moderator decisions and board policies on multiple occasions, in public (see his recent posts)

Despite our philosophical differences, I would have liked for Sleeper to remain a member here. We really don't like to ban people. Unfortunately, he proved himself unable to play by the rules after being warned to shape up many, many times.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez View Post
    Although the Sleeper ban is not up for debate, I will detail the reasons why he was removed to correct the FUD that Tiros posted:

repeated accusations against moderators and other users (e.g. the "HD TeAm" accusations)

repeated disrespect toward moderators and other users (e.g. calling us "dicks" and telling us to "f uck ourselves")

questioning moderator decisions and board policies on multiple occasions, in public (see his recent posts)

Despite our philosophical differences, I would have liked for Sleeper to remain a member here. We really don't like to ban people. Unfortunately, he proved himself unable to play by the rules after being warned to shape up many, many times.
    Funny, after 7 years, I don't remember it that way. Apparently neither do many of the posters here.

My objective was to make it easy to hack your Tivo. And I did. Thousands of people benefited from my assembling of OTHERS work. I never took credit for that work and I always recognized those that authored it.

However, my work (ISO) gave Tivo and Tivo hacking popularity, which was good for everyone - DealDatabase, authors Tivo, the less gifted and yes, even the lazy and pirates.

I also continued the work of TPM (Tivo Package Manager) and created the Knoppix Lite Distro, which were used by many. I also created a second ISO which was entirely TPM based but I never released it to the public.

Unfortunately (and understandibly) certain egos here were brused - and those offended (and in a position of power) did not handle the situation very well especially after we obtained their real names and addresses.

I certainly hope you all have gotten past it by now.

Anyway, I just stopped by to wish everyone the best!

Sleeper

The Sleeper awakens!
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Jeeze, what happened to you guys? You look so old.

What's next? David Bought?

Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    No. $!@##%^^Y&&#@%@!#$%%!!! would be much more likely.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?62768-I-miss-Mr-Bought

Hey Sleeper!

Ok, for the record I read through about 80 hrs of documents and was able to figure out how to hax my two DR7000's. I closely read all posts by Riley, MuscleNerd, ADH, David Bought (lolz), plain Bill, the guy from Vermont (he had cancer) and tons of others. I was able to upgrade my DR7000's and extract shows circa 2003. My friends and Family with DTivos all wanted the upgrades and I was manually monte-ing them as fast as I could (family, work full time etc) and could only do 1-2 a month. I work for Intel and have been in the computer industry for > 20 yrs when I heard about the sleeper scripts, so I'm not a typical user. But I was a linux nub. Yeah his CD was flawed in some respects, but I now had friends telling me how they had 'hacked' their tivos and were so excited to have 250 Hr Tivos and were able to extract recordings.

The community was happening and people were excited. What more does a dev community want?

Bill, sorry you had to help restore peoples Tivo images, but if they really didnt understand the risks, wth were they doing?

anyway, good retrospective. Miss you all, but until you crack comcast DVR im out.
    'There's no need to play "shoot the newbies" here.' [David Bought : 10-04-2003]