Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tivo Software

Question Tivo Software

I have done a little research and I see all these hacks and such for the Tivo. Why hasn't anyone hacked the Tivo software yet? What am I missing?

I would love to get a tivo but I don't like think you should pay for something that should be free in the first place (Tivo Service). Oh and by the way I do have a PVR (SageTV and GBPVR).

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlux
    I have done a little research and I see all these hacks and such for the Tivo. Why hasn't anyone hacked the Tivo software yet? What am I missing?

I would love to get a tivo but I don't like think you should pay for something that should be free in the first place (Tivo Service). Oh and by the way I do have a PVR (SageTV and GBPVR).
    ? Why do you "think it should be free" ?
    Dosen't Tivo, who provides a service, have the right to be profitable?
    I think gas should be free however I have resigned myself to the realization that gas companies have to make a profit or there will be no gas just like if Tivo doesn't make a profit there will be no Tivo....

Oh BTW.. This is totally the wrong place to come talking about STEALING services such as Tivo....
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

? Why do you "think it should be free" ?
    Dosen't Tivo, who provides a service, have the right to be profitable?
    I think gas should be free however I have resigned myself to the realization that gas companies have to make a profit or there will be no gas just like if Tivo doesn't make a profit there will be no Tivo....
    Who doesn’t want free gas?!?!

Are you seriously trying to compare gas to a Tivo? You do know that was a dim-witted comparison, right? But I'll respond none-the-less. To me owning a Tivo is like buying a VCR and then having to pay to use it. There is tons of free software out already for the PC that offer the same services as Tivo and more for free. All I was saying was why hasn't someone figured out how to replace the Tivo software.

And like I said before, I do own a PVR but I also think that having a device like the Tivo is a little more practical because not everybody is computer literate.

Oh BTW.. This is totally the wrong place to come talking about STEALING services such as Tivo....
    Who said anything about stealing Tivo service?!?! I don't even own a Tivo and I know that isn't possible. Heck, I don't even think you can even activate a Tivo with out signing up for their service.

And like I said before, I do own a PVR but I also think that having a device like the Tivo is a little more practical because not everybody is computer literate.
    Which is why we buy it. You do have your options for something free. Hell - you're using them. But someone has to make the box, and make the software. I mean, if you think you should get something for free, then dont buy it. Just because you think you should get it for free doesnt mean that you can take away from a company.

It seems that either you want someone to hack the OS enough that you dont have to pay, or to put on their own OS that does the same thing. However, you do know that if the latter occured, Tivo would go out of business and then there would be no boxes to hack anymore.

Just because you think you should get it for free doesnt mean that you can take away from a company.
    Talking about contradicting yourself. Aren't you hacking your Tivo?!?!

It seems that either you want someone to hack the OS enough that you dont have to pay, or to put on their own OS that does the same thing. However, you do know that if the latter occured, Tivo would go out of business and then there would be no boxes to hack anymore.
    Wow, So your telling me it's cool to hack the Tivo as long as the hack doesn't put Tivo out of business? Talk about a pot calling a tea kettle black!

It gets better and better with every post. lmao...

All I was saying was why hasn't someone figured out how to replace the Tivo software.
    "They" have. A simple google search would show you that both the Aussies and Canuks have figured out a way to replace the TiVo software.

The reason you won't find it discussed here is because the TiVo hacking community does not want TiVo Inc. to go out of business (AFAIK Tivo has yet to post a quarterly profit). I'm certain that within one week of TiVo Inc. officially shutting down their servers someone would be out with replacement software - there are simply too many intelligent people here that would not be willing to let their Tivos "die".

The simple (two pronged) answer to your question is this:

A. If you don't want to pay anything for the ability to use a TiVo (without guide data, just like a normal VCR) then pick up a Philips Series 1 standalone unit.

B. If you want guide data, pick up a device that has Tivo-light service included in the purchase price (3 days guide IIRC) or simply pay Tivo for their service.

I went with option A and haven't looked back. Guide data might be nice to have, but I've been programming VCRs for 20+ years and know how to use a TV Guide.

^^thanks for the informative response. I'll check into option A. I am looking to set something up for my girlfriend.

***Edit***
    Any other suggestions that you can think of that I might need to know about before I get started in checking into option A?
    Last edited by BlackFlux; 09-06-2005 at 01:53 PM.

"Hacking" the tivo does NOT mean that we're stealing from them. I have two Directivos that I have hacked, and I do nothing to not pay the $4.99/mo fee, yet streaming a show to my computer can still be considered a hack.

Just because you hack it, doesnt necessarily mean you've broken it enough that you're stealing the service they provide.

<snip>
    To me owning a Tivo is like buying a VCR and then having to pay to use it.<snip>
    The big difference to a VCR is that TiVo, Inc. subsidizes the cost of the hardware with the stipulation that you must subscribe to their service in order to use it. VCR manufacturers make no such subsidies, nor stipulations.

ew

Just because you hack it, doesnt necessarily mean you've broken it enough that you're stealing the service they provide.
    I'll let you call it.

The big difference to a VCR is that TiVo, Inc. subsidizes the cost of the hardware with the stipulation that you must subscribe to their service in order to use it. VCR manufacturers make no such subsidies, nor stipulations.
    Same as above, I'll let you call it.

Tivo offers a device that does what no other consumer device can do, although many have tried to imitate it. Sure, you can use a VCR to record your shows but is your VCR smart enough to know when the network decides to change the night your favorite show is being aired or if they decide to let it run five minutes longer? Tivo has a functionality and set of features unavailable on most DVRs. Yes, I know there are other DVRs on the market that do similar things that a Tivo does but none of them do it as well, and they all charge monthly fees for their service in case you didn't know. PC-based DVRs are an entirely different breed and have their own set of quirks and foibles so you're comparing apples to oranges between them and a Tivo.

Most of us are more than willing to pay a monthly fee for the Tivo/DVR service because it allows us to set season passes one time and then walk away knowing that we'll (almost) never have to worry about missing an episode of our favorite shows. Can you program your VCR months in advance to do that? Can you program your VCR from a remote location? The last I heard the maximum you could fit on a standard T120 videotape was six hours at crappy quality. The capacity of a single upgraded Tivo could fill up an entire library of videotapes. Did I mention that the picture quality of a Tivo recording is far better than any consumer S-VHS VCR at SP speed? Standard VCRs also cannot record Dolby Digital soundtracks like a DTivo can (only certain D-VHS VCRs have that capability and only when used in conjunction with a matching DSS receiver).

Hacking a Tivo to add more functionality is a far cry from hacking it to get free Tivo service. Tivo doesn't really care what we do to our boxes as long as we keep paying the monthly service charge. We have no vested interest in seeing Tivo go out of business. If more people see what they can do with a Tivo beyond the stock set of features it can only help Tivo with increased sales.

I have done a little research and I see all these hacks and such for the Tivo.
    That statement and your subsequent comments show just how little research you have actually done on the subject or else you would understand the value of paying for the Tivo/DVR service.
    Last edited by captain_video; 09-06-2005 at 08:49 PM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Tivo offers a device that does what no other consumer device can do, although many have tried to imitate it. Sure, you can use a VCR to record your shows but is your VCR smart enough to know when the network decides to change the night your favorite show is being aired or if they decide to let it run five minutes longer? Tivo has a functionality and set of features unavailable on most DVRs. Yes, I know there are other DVRs on the market that do similar things that a Tivo does but none of them do it as well, and they all charge monthly fees for their service in case you didn't know. PC-based DVRs are an entirely different breed and have their own set of quirks and foibles so you're comparing apples to oranges between them and a Tivo.
    If you read what I said earlier you would know that I own a PVR. And you would also know that a PVR (PC) is way better than a DVR (Tivo). They only reason why I am asking about a Tivo is because I would to give one to my girlfriend as a gift.

Most of us are more than willing to pay a monthly fee for the Tivo/DVR service because it allows us to set season passes one time and then walk away knowing that we'll (almost) never have to worry about missing an episode of our favorite shows. Can you program your VCR months in advance to do that? Can you program your VCR from a remote location? The last I heard the maximum you could fit on a standard T120 videotape was six hours at crappy quality. The capacity of a single upgraded Tivo could fill up an entire library of videotapes. Did I mention that the picture quality of a Tivo recording is far better than any consumer S-VHS VCR at SP speed? Standard VCRs also cannot record Dolby Digital soundtracks like a DTivo can (only certain D-VHS VCRs have that capability and only when used in conjunction with a matching DSS receiver).
    Why are ranting about the difference between a Tivo and VCR? I already said I own a PVR, you do know what that is right?

That statement and your subsequent comments show just how little research you have actually done on the subject or else you would understand the value of paying for the Tivo/DVR service.
    Can you read? I said I own a PVR and it owns Tivo. Seriously it does...

Then, by all means, set up a "PVR" for your girlfriend, then go away and leave us to our delusions of superiority. I fail to understand why you're interested in a TiVo in the first place.
    Steve

A hacked SD Tivo for Directv cannot be beat, Hands down. If you dont want Directv, than you have your debate.

Tivo's are for the Technically challenged AND the technically proficient.

Granted, I would have not bought a TIVO with Cable cause I am toooooo cheap to pay that fee. But everything has its niche.

My co-worker LOVES his Tivo from Dish Network. (HA, tivo....) He gets a great deal through SBC with it on his phone bill........ I mean, people who dont know will be happy nevertheless.
    2 HR20-100's with OTA (Thank GOD I didnt get a HR21)
    3 HDVR2's with 6.2, Sub'd, Hacked and 160 gig Seagates.
    1 HR10-250 with 250 WD and 300 Seagate, fully Hacked
    3 HDVR2's with 6.2, Hacked and 160 gig Seagates.
    Who doesnt have 7 Tivos? and with 5 computers, contain 2 Terabytes of storage medium in their house??
    Thanks to all who makes up DDB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevel
    Then, by all means, set up a "PVR" for your girlfriend, then go away and leave us to our delusions of superiority. I fail to understand why you're interested in a TiVo in the first place.
    ^^Read the above statement by me. The reason why I am interested in a Tivo is because my girlfriend is computer illiterate. I am just looking for basic VCR functions. Manual digital recording (time and date).