Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: USB networking on 4.x @ kernel 2.4.18 (split from 3.x USB thread)

I currently am using the linksys device and std sleeper 1.02 (dmesg shows pegasus) Sa s2. I told sleepr to use the stand-alone drivers. It works fine.

I am getting 450kB/s throughput

I am reading about adding the usb 2.0 modules, which is fine, except everyone alluded to the fact that the insmod commands for the ethernet are in the rc.sysinit.author file. Mine aren't. I have an ifconfig in there, but no driver load codes.

I looked in rc.sysinit, rc.arch, etc, but cannot see anywhere that pegasus.o is loaded or anything like it. So it must be native tivo loaded alot earlier.

And I do not have a hackinit at all.

So the question, what would happen if I put alldead's drivers/etc in there for the usb 2 stuff? Will it work, or will it reboot? Does that override whatever loads them first?

As I said,my net does work as it currently is running, so something is loading them.

I'm guessing you're using v4.x software, in which case I believe these usb drivers won't work. I think I found a while ago a file called usb2fortivo4.zip that added usb2.0 support in v4.x, but I don't know where I got it from...

Quote Originally Posted by RKone
    I'm guessing you're using v4.x software, in which case I believe these usb drivers won't work. I think I found a while ago a file called usb2fortivo4.zip that added usb2.0 support in v4.x, but I don't know where I got it from...
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...866#post139866
    Philips DSR7000 - ~200 hours, killhdinitrd'd 6.2a w/ NutKase's superpatch_67all

Yes Dr. Null - it will work on a running Tivo

Verified it myself on 3 HDVR2's running 4.0 using the usb2forTivo mods - no issue with the symb links while telnet'ed in

-- Steph

*** UPDATE - don't do this - not a wise move and I found out the hard way
    Last edited by Stephanie; 08-24-2004 at 06:13 PM.

Spoke too soon - Crashes the TCP stack

Have a problem guys - hope you have some guidance.
    I installed the USB drivers above on all 3 of my HDVR2's and basic transfers (MFS_FTP and TYTOOLS) work fine BUT when I try to transfer programs using the HMO superpatch, it appears to transfer but the other TIVO's disappear from the now playing list and I lose telnet/ftp access to the machines that are on the get side. What's really interesting is that it looks like the file is still transferring because the record light is illuminated and the transferred program shows up in the now playing list (with a perpetual red dot).

Dr. Null - I think you have the same configuration - is this happening to you?

--Steph

Details:
    Used the Compiled USB drivers from Nobody http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...&postcount=154 with my HDVR2's (one of them is an HDVR3) all using a Linksys 200M USB 2.0 adaptor. All three have been successfully patched with CapablePerson66's HMO SuperPatch.
    Last edited by Stephanie; 08-08-2004 at 01:12 PM. Reason: System Details

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie
    Have a problem guys - hope you have some guidance.
    I installed the USB drivers above on all 3 of my HDVR2's and basic transfers (MFS_FTP and TYTOOLS) work fine BUT when I try to transfer programs using the HMO superpatch, it appears to transfer but the other TIVO's disappear from the now playing list and I lose telnet/ftp access to the machines that are on the get side. What's really interesting is that it looks like the file is still transferring because the record light is illuminated and the transferred program shows up in the now playing list (with a perpetual red dot).

Dr. Null - I think you have the same configuration - is this happening to you?

--Steph

Details:
    Used the Compiled USB drivers from Nobody http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...&postcount=154 with my HDVR2's (one of them is an HDVR3) all using a Linksys 200M USB 2.0 adaptor. All three have been successfully patched with CapablePerson66's HMO SuperPatch.
    Did you do a search? Only about 15 people have reported this if using usb 2 drivers compiled by Nobody. Musclenerd has a compiled set he compiled that do not exhibit the problem. Now, if we could only get him to release these drivers .......

Quote Originally Posted by philhu
    Did you do a search? Only about 15 people have reported this if using usb 2 drivers compiled by Nobody. Musclenerd has a compiled set he compiled that do not exhibit the problem. Now, if we could only get him to release these drivers .......
    Sorry did not see that in the search that I did.

Quote Originally Posted by philhu
    Maybe if we asked him nicely. MN doesn't "owe" us anything.
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by tivomaster
    Maybe if we asked him nicely. MN doesn't "owe" us anything.

I thought I did

Of course he doesn't owe us anything.....

Ooops, I looked, I said 'get him to', instead of 'ask him to'

Sorry

Muscle Nerd if you would be so kind...

Could we get a copy of your drivers?
    I would love to learn to compile them on my own but have to read some more to figure out how - and I'd bet spend some more $$ with amazon for a book or two...

Thank you in advance if you post!

-- Steph

P.S. amazon must be a keyword because the vbulletin inserted a link for it automagically! reference is dealdatabase
    Last edited by Stephanie; 08-08-2004 at 09:49 PM.

Need more details for USB 2.0 wireless...

Could someone provide a little more specific advice on getting USB 2.0 to work with my Linksys wireless "g" 2.0 ethernet adapter? After using the following protocol, my TiVo would reboot every time it got to about the opening animation. Also, how do I know what file to use in the 4th line of the rc.sysinit.author modification where it says it depends on my adapter? I'm using 4.0.1b-02-2-240 with the HMO Superpatch.

Finally, if I do this correctly, will the 4.0 software continue to handle the WEP password for my home network?

This info may be out there, but I'm having a difficult time pulling it all together.

Thanks,
    bmckim@usa.com

Here is the protocol....

Setting up USB2.0 for faster network connections

This was tested on a Linksys USB200M. Your mileage may vary.

Download usb2forTivo4.zip from this link http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/s...6&postcount=169

Extract to a folder on your computer, you should get a file called usb2forTivo4.tar

FTP this file to your Tivo (I put it in /var/hack/install)

Telnet to your Tivo

Remount the root partition as rw (mount -o remount,rw /)

Move the files usbcore.o, ax8817x.o, usbnet.o, pegasus.o, rtl8150.o, and usb-ohci.o to a backup directory (like /var/hack/bak or such)

Extract the files from usb2forTivo4.tar into the /lib/modules directory.

Modify /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author with the following lines in this order right above the #Set the IP address line
    #Setup USB2
    insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ehci-hcd.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ohci-hcd.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ax8817x.o (NOTE: this line will change depending on the network adapter your using)
    Remount the drive as read-only (mount -o remount,ro /)
    Reboot the Tivo, your done.

The ohci-hcd.o file is for USB1.1, so if you don't have any USB1.1 adapters you can remove it. Before this update I was getting 724 Kb/sec transfer rates, now I get 1300 Kb/sec transfer rates.

Could someone provide a little more specific advice on getting USB 2.0 to work with my Linksys wireless "g" 2.0 ethernet adapter?
    Currently there are no linux drivers for any wireless G USB network adapter.

For what it's worth, here are the USB 2.0 drivers I've been using. They're compiled for kernel 2.4.18 to work on my 4.x boxes. My big disclaimer: all I can say is that I don't get any lockup issues with these, during MRV or any other time. I don't profess to know *why* I don't. Hope they work for someone else too..

Thanks, maybe hcd.o is what is different..

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleNerd
    For what it's worth, here are the USB 2.0 drivers I've been using. They're compiled for kernel 2.4.18 to work on my 4.x boxes. My big disclaimer: all I can say is that I don't get any lockup issues with these, during MRV or any other time. I don't profess to know *why* I don't. Hope they work for someone else too..
    Thanks Musclenerd I will give it a go..
    Of note, just looking at the file differences it seems that nobody's port does not include the hcd.o module and 4.0 does not have it natively. Looking at what hcd.c does it appears that this could be a significant difference.

Is hcd.o required?
    If so will I have to insmod the hcd.o or will putting it in the /lib directory do?
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleNerd
    Very cool.

hcd.o is a new module. Do we insmod it? Or will the others automatically load it?

Thanks!