Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: USB networking on 4.x @ kernel 2.4.18 (split from 3.x USB thread)

I'm sure I'm missing something simple here...

Trying to set up an Airlink ASOHOUSB usb2 adapter to work with my philips DSR708 running 6.2:

I backed up the original USB 'o' files, then transferred Jamie's newest ones (usbcore.o, usbnet.o and usb-ohci.o...I didn't transfer the dummy version of ehci because I didn't have the original in the modules directory) to my modules directory using filezilla (binary mode). Symlinked usbnet.o to ax8817x.o. Added vendor/product ID 0b95 7720 to /etc/hotplug/usb.map.

Created a test.conf file with:

Code:
    /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o log2_irq_thresh=4
    /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/usbnet.o
    /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/usb-ohci.o
    Rebooted and the Tivo sees the adapter:

Code:
    eth0: register usbnet usb-00:0d.2-1, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0 Ethernet
    But I cannot connect to the tivo via telnet. Anyone with any idea what could be going on? I can certainly provide more info if needed. It seems like everything is OK, just missing one (maybe small) detail.
    Last edited by wbgolden; 06-26-2005 at 09:33 PM. Reason: details, details
    Imagine what I could do with a Cowboy HatCam

Quote Originally Posted by wbgolden
    I'm sure I'm missing something simple here...
    My first guess is that you didn't replace iptables so the ports are still blocked. Do you get a response to pings from either end? Are the ifconfig Tx and Rx counts moving at all on the tivo side?

It's not clear to me whether you already had the network working and are just switching devices, or if this is your first attempt at getting the network going on 6.2?

I knew I would leave something out...

All was well before I changed over to the Airlink adapters. I was able to ping both ways and download using tytools, tivowebplus was working (somewhat), HMO and MRV both running fine. I am using a Belkin F5d5050 adapter. It continues to work well if I restore the backups to the modules directory.

With the airlink adapter in there and everything set up as I said in my original post, I am unable to ping to or from the Tivo. (But the link light is active, as some people before me stated with the GIG adapters).

Code:
    PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1): 56 data bytes
    ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
    I'm in no hurry, so don't knock yourself out The adapters were only $4 this weekend at Frye's so it's not like I'm out major money. I'm also not sure the usb2 adapters will help my throughput. I'm running wireless-G access points from both my tivos and seem to limited to about .50 mbps.

Thanks!
    Last edited by wbgolden; 06-26-2005 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo
    Imagine what I could do with a Cowboy HatCam

Quote Originally Posted by wbgolden
    I knew I would leave something out...
    Since we've drifted off the subject of this thread (USB on 4.x), I made a new support thread here. Let's take the topic there.

Jamie is the log2_irq_thresh=4 setting the default on the latest and future releases too, or just the one in that single post in the dev thread?

I ask because I went through all the soapbox steps except for the insmod switch and I'm not seeing any speed increases (still 1.75MBps ((14mbps))) with using the new mfs_ files. I'm using an unpatched mfs_ftp as I ran into the patching problem.

BTW, does this mean anything? Things appear to be OK despite this, but it looks suspicious. I suspect the device is hooked up later on and not here in the startup:
    Code:
    PCI: 00:0d.2 PCI cache line size set incorrectly (0 bytes) by BIOS/FW, correctin
    g to 32
    usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x2001/0x1a00) is not claimed by any active drive
    r.
    PokeFirewallPort: Poking hole through firewall at port 2190, protocol udp
    iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
    PokeFirewallPort: Poking hole through firewall at port 2190, protocol tcp
    iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
    using driver frame iter

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff D
    Jamie is the log2_irq_thresh=4 setting the default on the latest and future releases too, or just the one in that single post in the dev thread? ...
    I replied here. I think that's the best place for future support issues, unless they are 4.x specific.