Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tivo Hacking 101 for Newbies

[QUOTE=captain_video]Sigh. OK, but you still have to either purchase a gender changer or build one if you want to use the cable supplied with a SA Tivo.

Oh, and to save someone 15 minutes of grief, it's a gender bender PLUS a null modem if you use the stock TIVO serial cable - good reason to just solder 3 wires and roll your own...

Oops....wrong thread ;-)

update pointers to tivoweb/tivowebplus?

Me again. I have done a bunch of work on tivowebplus, including getting most of the on-forum and off-forum references to point to the new home. When you update your guide again, please remove the references to the old versions of tivoweb and tivowebplus, and add a pointer to the current home here:

http://tivowebplus.sourceforge.net

The current release is 1.2.1, but more importantly, please aim people to that website for the latest release and thread pointers.
    1. Homegrown SFF home theater PC
    2. TCD 540 7.1b, prom mod, tivowebplus 1.2 coordinator, tyshow

This should really be a sticky.
    SD-DVR40/160GB/4.0.1b/superpatch/usb2/tytool/ms_ftp/tivowebplus
    HR10-250 (stock) as of 12-9-05
    HR10-250/superpatch/usb2/tserver/tivoweb
    DirecTivo R10 (stock)
    "Test drive"60GB/6.2/superpatch/usb2/tytool/hmo/extracted scrambled shows with kernel & tools found here.

94Supra formerly TT now one T

Thanks for the link. I'll include the update at my earliest opportunity.

BTW, there is a link to this thread in the sticky for all of the newbie guides. No need for another sticky since there's one that already points to it.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

HTML version

Just for those without Word or just don't like it...

It has a .txt extension since the board does not allow .html.

Captain Video, I love the document you put together. It is a very educational piece of work. One small suggestion I have for the next update. Add a little info on page two in the paragraph Series 2 SA and DTivos that tells the reader that killhdinitrd is now the preferred way to Hack the S2 Dtivos. I think the current form the paragraph may leave some readerers with the impression that "sleeper" / monte is still the way to go. I know if you read to the end (page 10) it is covered, but for those of us that sometimes get distracted by jumping before we read all the information, not just the stuff we like, it might save a few brain cells.

Thanks for the document and all your hard work.
    The more you search, the more you find. The more you read, the more you may learn.
    It is just as important to know the things that DON'T work.

Attention Newbies -> Start with the document found HERE, I did.
    The opinions expressed in this post are based on my life experiences and may or may not reflect YOUR reality. Use the information provided at your own risk

6 - S2 - DTivos with a total of 1.1TB storage - Hacked, networked, etc

Thanks, indeed this is the first "how to" I read.
    S3 / TCD648250b - Socketed
    Audio out of sync

I'd found that document too before hacking my Tivo. But by the time I'd found it I had already gathered from the forums that Sleeper was an outdated method. I opened the Word document, skimmed down to the SA Series 2 section on page 4 since thats what I have, saw the document touting Sleeper, closed it and never read another word. Truely that was my exact interaction with it. Just saying, perhaps fantmn has a point.

Point taken. Ironically, I had opened up the document yesterday and saw that Sleeper's tivoscripts was indeed being touted as the way to go. I hadn't looked at it for a while and didn't realize I still had that statement in the text. I am in the process of updating it to correct that error and will post it shortly.

OK, I've updated the file and added a pdf version for those of you that don't have Word to view it with. As always, any comments or contributions to keep the document current are welcomed and encouraged. I don't read every post in every thread so I don't keep up with every aspect of this hooby if it doesn't hold any interest to me or my Tivos. I don't have any S2 SA models or DVD versions so I rarely read any posts pertaining to them. I also don't have any interest in Tivo To Go or video streaming with tivoserver or anything of that ilk which is why I haven't included anything on those topics. If anyone would like to put together a short description with links on any topic I haven't covered, feel free to send me a PM with the info and I'll include it. Just provide an overview with links to threads or posts with the details.
    Last edited by captain_video; 03-21-2006 at 11:16 AM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Just want to say thanks to the Captain. I haven't been messing with the dtivo in quite some time and the hacking 101 reminded me of a lot that I'd forgot.

Quick question hope you could help. Hacked my old hughes dtivo back in 2002. Remember the old guys... groundhog, Alphawolf, Elseed, caller ID. Oh... the old days... anyways... Is this a true statement? The only way to hack an R10 with killindred etc. is to first have a modded prom. I've read now until my eyes turned red.

Thanks

Yes, the R10 requires a moddem prom (and NOT killhdinitrd -- once the prom is modded, you just need to nuke the initrd in your stock kernel with something like replace_initrd).
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

and then just hack away at the drive as if it wasn't a R10? (to get usb going)

It's good to be in the game again....

Thanks

That's about it.