Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: drapatin volunteers to spoon feed every newbie (split from: DTivo Directory Structure?)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fantasy World
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSorTivo
    Do a search for either "TyTools" in conjunction with "tserver", or "MFS_FTP" to learn more about extraction from your Tivo.
    OK, see,... this is what I do not understand..
    why make the guy do a search? He asked a legitimate question, said he read the forums (although obviously in the wrong places..)

    Why not just give him the link where everything resides..
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=36115

    First post has all the tools you need, they all also include read me's as well. If there is something you do not understand (and I am sure there will be a ton) go read some newbie guides, read mine here, it's not perfect but if you are not "in the know" it will help a lot.
    A Toy! A New Toy! Thank the Lord UPS brought a New TOY!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by drapatin
    why make the guy do a search
    Why not just give him the link where everything resides..
    I know you're not serious. I answered the guy's question, and told him the tools to look for to meet his needs, yet that's not enough? Jeez. While we're at it, why don't we just come over to his house and hack the unit for him, why make him do it himself. God forbid something is actually learned in the process. Teach a man to fish...
    1 HR10-250, upgraded to 570 SD hours, hacked, 6.3b.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 206 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 168 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    tyExtract - Automated batch extraction utility
    YacMon - YAC Server log monitor for new call(s) notification via email/text message

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Somewhere in CA
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by drapatin
    OK, see,... this is what I do not understand..
    why make the guy do a search?
    Because it's likely he will be using the Search function ALOT, so might as well learn it now. By doing a search, he may find something else that will catch his attention, thus learning a bit more, personally I think it's a good idea.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fantasy World
    Posts
    202
    Ok ya know what.. every thing you say from now on is HOOEY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Selfish
    and told him the tools to look for to meet his needs
    If someone asked you "what time is it?" .. would you say "It's all on the wrist" ?
    Maybe because it took you a long time to find your watch and why should you give someone a shortcut anyway?

    YOU DID NOT answer this guys question, you answered half.
    and you didn't READ his post, only responded:

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveEJ
    I have been reading till my head hurts!! Please no flames..
    I am surprised you didn't point him to a generic "file system search." as well.
    What could it have hurt to give him the link to all the pertinent info and not all the junk he get's from a search?

    Do you feel better for putting someone on the the "path of knowledge" or something?

    I understand the plight of the newbie, I was there and in some ways, I'm still green.

    I am not super smart, it takes a while for some things to sink in, probably because I have a lot more on my plate than I want. But I still want to play with my Tivo, so I have read about 4 billion nonsense posts to get what I needed.

    There is NO REASON for Steve to have to do the same thing, or anyone else.

    Also:
    The search tools on this website BLOW.
    If you do not get it exactly right, you will be reading until your eyes fall out of your head.

    And Finally and this really burns me..

    Quote Originally Posted by Selfish
    "Teach a man to fish...."
    JeSUS I am so sick and tired of hearing that kind of junk from those in the "know". You guys all assume this person has the hundred or so hours that you put in to learn what you know. And does that mean he shouldn't enjoy his Tivo? Because he can't sacrifice as much as you?

    How about if he is a mental moron? (cognatively speaking of course)

    Maybe he doesn't deserve to have all the cool Tivo Tools, that only us "eLiT3" haczorz can have.

    Quote Originally Posted by Selfish
    " While we're at it, why don't we just come over to his house and hack the unit for him"
    This is the attitude that hold us back, all of us from the (insert quest here)
    Why do YOU even bother to try to "help" in the first place, just don't answer.

    This is such a crap attitude.
    " I know, I had to work for it, so do you newbie"..

    Let's see.. You as a teacher:

    Student (Steve):.. How can I Learn the square root of 15?
    Teacher (You) : .. We'll Steve-O, there is a book at the library accross town, the book starts with Math, Arithmatic or adding some of those words.. go down to the library and do a title search, you'll find the answer there."


    sorry for the rant, but the elite and righteous annoy me.
    A Toy! A New Toy! Thank the Lord UPS brought a New TOY!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    877
    First, if you re-read the initial post, you'll see that the primary question asked was:

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveEJ
    What is stored in what directories?
    Which, is the primary answer that I gave:

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSorTivo
    There is no actual folder you can just navigate to and view shows. Rather, the tools referenced above, when running, create "virtual" representations of the recordings on your Tivo, that you can then select and extract / transfer.
    Again, this was the primary question that was asked, especially as it relates to the title of the thread.

    I then supplied additional information for tips on what specific software to look for, yet this isn't good enough? I'll say it again, Jeez.

    Quite frankly, you don't know me from Adam, but feel free to take a look at my posts, 99% of which are answers to newbie questions, with detailed responses, and as such, I don't appreciate being called "elite" and "righteous".

    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless
    ...the elite and righteous annoy me.
    If you knew anything about me, or the assistance / contributions I provide on this board, you ought to feel pretty silly about right now...
    Last edited by JohnSorTivo; 08-16-2004 at 04:03 PM.
    1 HR10-250, upgraded to 570 SD hours, hacked, 6.3b.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 206 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 168 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    tyExtract - Automated batch extraction utility
    YacMon - YAC Server log monitor for new call(s) notification via email/text message

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fantasy World
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSorTivo
    First, if you re-read the initial post, you'll see that the primary question asked was
    I do not agree, but doesn't matter..


    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSorTivo
    I don't appreciate being called "elite" and "righteous".
    Sure sounded like it to me, no specific offense meant, but I am truly sick of the general attitude that everyone must learn like "I" did.
    A Toy! A New Toy! Thank the Lord UPS brought a New TOY!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by drapatin
    ...but I am truly sick of the general attitude that everyone must learn like "I" did.
    Then direct your anger at those who have a propensity to act in such a manner. "I" tend to agree with your assessment, but to group me into the same clan in unwarranted and unappreciated, and by taking such a tone in your posts, tends to place you in the very same group as the people you seem to have such a problem with.
    Last edited by JohnSorTivo; 08-16-2004 at 04:38 PM.
    1 HR10-250, upgraded to 570 SD hours, hacked, 6.3b.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 206 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 168 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    tyExtract - Automated batch extraction utility
    YacMon - YAC Server log monitor for new call(s) notification via email/text message

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    5,601
    Quote Originally Posted by drapatin
    OK, see,... this is what I do not understand..
    why make the guy do a search? He asked a legitimate question, said he read the forums (although obviously in the wrong places..)

    Why not just give him the link where everything resides..
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=36115

    First post has all the tools you need, they all also include read me's as well. If there is something you do not understand (and I am sure there will be a ton) go read some newbie guides, read mine here, it's not perfect but if you are not "in the know" it will help a lot.
    There are several reasons for simply suggesting search terms. One of the most obvious: Giving an actual link will require opening another window, entering the search terms, checking the posts that match, and copying the link to the one I like best. At it's worst, this is PRECISELY what you object ot - Telling someone to DO IT MY WAY.

    While I applaud you for your willingness to supply precise links for everyone who asks a question, others prefer to spend their time more efficiently.

    PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

    "You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

    HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13

    20 Sorry I asked.. almost..

    Guys.. I didn't ask to start a fight here.. I asked because there is so much information for a new user/hacker/what ever and the maze is SOOOOOO large and there are SOOOOO many resources that a 'newbie' can get lost and/or get on the wrong track very easily.

    I am NOT a moron, in fact anyone that flies as a passenger or pilot would probably appreciate that fact.

    I do like this suggestion - "Jeez. While we're at it, why don't we just come over to his house and hack the unit for him, why make him do it himself. God forbid something is actually learned in the process." ... OK.. JUST KIDDING!!

    The simple fact is that I have been a programmer (hence the directory structure question) but am NOT familiar with Linux at all. I bought a 4 inch thick book on linux and am working on that side of things. I am going as far as to build a Linux box and adding it to my home network so I can become familiar with it.

    In the mean time, while in the starting portion of the very large learning curve, any help on how to get extraction working would be appreciated. If you are not interested then thanks for your time and 'Good Day'.

    Steve

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    2,829
    Well, thats what the newbie forum is for. One person asks a question, others either tell them what they need to know, where to find what they need to know, or how to find what they need to know. No matter the case, the end result is the same. Complaining about responses doesn't do any good here, save that for the support forums where information isn't supposed to be cluttered.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

    Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    339
    this thread is cluttered,

    if you see an answer you don't like, just add your own, why flame the other guy?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,149
    Quote Originally Posted by drapatin
    Why not just give him the link where everything resides..

    go read some newbie guides, read mine here, it's not perfect but if you are not "in the know" it will help a lot.
    I thought drapatin had an axe to grind when I read this 'very nice and non-inflammatory' comment.


    Quote Originally Posted by drapatin
    ***********************

    Newbies! UNITE and RISE UP!
    A day is coming where we are looked upon as EQUALS !!!!

    Roar Roar of the crowd.
    Now I know. Sewer here we come.


    NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fantasy World
    Posts
    202
    I didn't mean this to get all inflamatory and I usually do not make it a habit to single someone out or "flame" them.

    Certainly wasn't the intent here.

    Quote Originally Posted by drapatin
    OK, see,... this is what I do not understand..
    why make the guy do a search? He asked a legitimate question, said he read the forums (although obviously in the wrong places..)

    Why not just give him the link where everything resides..
    Just for the record..
    I don't see this as a flame. and if you do (anyone) then you are a wee bit too sensitive.

    I certainly would have dropped it right there, I only got annoyed after John's "Teach a Man...", and "Hack it for him..." comments.
    And my A Type personality just couldn't let it go so I had to be sarcastic back. Sue me.

    So, sorry John.. didn't mean any real offense towards you directly, I know you have helped many people, you just do it differently than I.



    as far as my newbie comment you quoted NutKase..
    if you can't see what I meant by this statement:

    Quote Originally Posted by Drapatin
    Newbies! UNITE and RISE UP!
    A day is coming where we are looked upon as EQUALS !!!!

    Roar Roar of the crowd.
    Then I am all alone in my own little world.
    It was a little joke ya know.. it's not my creed or anything.

    Get it? Newbies, Unite, a day is coming
    (when they learn stuff they'll be treated as equals)

    In the future:

    Those who do not have the time, should seek me out for help.
    Those who want to learn from scratch should contact the rest of you.
    Last edited by drapatin; 08-17-2004 at 10:33 AM.
    A Toy! A New Toy! Thank the Lord UPS brought a New TOY!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,777
    Split to Sewer.

    drapatin: if you want to help people, fine, but lose the attitude.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Heh.. I was wondering how long it was going to take before this ended up in the sewer...

    Quote Originally Posted by drapatin
    Why not just give him the link where everything resides..
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=36115
    The link you gave him will only provide outdated information to other people who stumble upon this post weeks from now. By suggesting search terms to use, future readers of this post will always be able to find the most current and pertinent info instead of being pointed to a post that will be obsolete when jdiner releases the next revision of his tools.

    Quote Originally Posted by drapatin
    What could it have hurt to give him the link to all the pertinent info and not all the junk he get's from a search?
    ...
    The search tools on this website BLOW.
    If you do not get it exactly right, you will be reading until your eyes fall out of your head.
    Ever heard the term "junk in, junk out"? Honestly, if you can't formulate a good search string by now you should turn in your computer and bow-out of the internet revolution. As long as you sort by posts and scan the results to find posts with relevant information, you can almost always find what you're looking for (assuming it exists on the board). Each search & scan can provide more clues for keywords to use to find the info you're looking for. And if you don't like the search engine on the board, you can always use Google ([search terms] site:dealdatabase.com).

    Quote Originally Posted by drapatin
    JeSUS I am so sick and tired of hearing that kind of junk from those in the "know". You guys all assume this person has the hundred or so hours that you put in to learn what you know. And does that mean he shouldn't enjoy his Tivo? Because he can't sacrifice as much as you?
    I think this falls into the category of "entitlement". Just because this stuff is possible doesn't mean it's easy. The members of this board expect a certain familiarity with linux and with computers in general. They also expect a certain level of competance and a willingness to learn. If you're just looking to have your hand held through the entire process, go to TCF. If you're just looking to have everything handed to you on a silver plate, that's what PTVUpgrade is for. It's all about scope... we're willing to help people by giving them a nudge in the right direction, but we expect them to take that info & "run with it", filling in the gaps in their own knowledge, not just passivly digesting step-by-step recipies without understanding the logic behind it.

    Take your student/teacher analogy for instance:
    Student (Steve):.. How can I Learn the square root of 15?
    Teacher (You) : .. We'll Steve-O, there is a book at the library accross town, the book starts with Math, Arithmatic or adding some of those words.. go down to the library and do a title search, you'll find the answer there."
    Going by your logic, it would go something like this:
    Student (Steve):.. How can I Learn the square root of 15?
    Teacher (You) : 3.87298335
    So... what is learned there? Only the specific answer to that problem, but nothing about how to find, say, the square root of 12 or any other number. My point is, if we just spit out the specific answers to a question or give people lists of commands to run without a reason why, we're doing a much greater disservice to the community than we would be by helping them to learn to think on their own.

    Tivo is a platform. Much of what is discussed here goes toward the ultimate goal of teaching techniques, not providing end-user support for the people who just want to run the latest cool-stuff so they can impress their friends.

    On the subject of the "maze of outdated information" on this board... you know, if you're reading a post from January of 2001 you can pretty much assume that the info it contains is old & outdated. Maybe what we need is a sticky somewhere that lists the current methods and programs, indexed by Tivo model/SW revision, and which older things they've replaced. But failing that, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect someone to look at the date of whatever post they're reading and put it into context.

    -psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •