Thread: HR10-250 Support Question

HR10-250 Support Question

Complete Newbie Support Question here:

I've backed up my HR10-250's drive. Tested it and it works, and stashed the original for safe keeping.

Then put the drive in a PC, booted a big disk support mfstools2 CD and ran

killhdinitrd /dev/hdc6

I got an indication that the patch was successful.

I then mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt/tivo

Write the following file as
    filename: rc.sysinit.author
    In directory: /mnt/tivo/etc/rc.d

#install usb and ethernet drivers
    insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o
    insmod /lib/modules/hcd.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ehci-hcd.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ax8817x.o
    sleep 10

#configure ethernet
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.249 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
    sleep 100

#telnet
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &

#ftp
    /etc/rc.d/tivoftpd.mips

I then copy tivoftpd.mips to the /mnt/tivo/etc/rc.d directory.

When I put the drive back in the TIVO and boot it (with a Netgear FA120 plugged into a USB port) it boots correctly and functions correctly, but there is no power or link indication on the FA120.

So, I am of course wonder what might have gone wrong and what I can do to check it. Is it possible that I ran the killhdinitrd on the wrong partition? Or that maybe I installed the rd.sysinit.author in the wrong partition? How do you figure out which partition pair the tivo is currently booting from?

Any pointers would be great appreciated. Thanks

If you did a backup and restore then only the active partitions were copied to your new drive. The inactive partitions do not get copied when using MFS Tools unless you do a dd copy of the specific partitions.

Now for the $64K question - Did you make your new rc.sysinit.author file executable (i.e. chmod 755 rc.sysinit.author)? If not then your HDTivo would still boot normally but your hacks would never run since the rc.sysinit.author file would not have been executed.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

rc.sysinit.author executable? I think so....

No, I didn't chmod the rc.sysinit.author, but thats only because after I copied it over I did an ls-la and foudnd that it already was executable (that is 'x' is the last character of the attributes.) Could the ls have been wrong? Might I have to chmod it anyway? Is that not what the 'x' means? Do I have anymore stupid questions? No...

Thanks very much for the help,

Drew