Thread: Serial Connection stops working after a time

Serial Connection stops working after a time

Hello all,

I have a Philips DSR704 DTivo hacked/monted. I don't have a network card yet so I'm just checking things out and I have a serial cable just to peak at things.

I can connect via minicom on my laptop and can look around for a while. The problem is that after being connected via serial for a short while (usually 1-3 minutes) the connection seems to hang and then I cannot perform any commands. The only way I've found to fix this issue is to reboot the unit. I don't know if the connection locks up because of excessive screen output or a problem with my unit/laptop/serial connection.

I've searched the forum and Google and I haven't found any information on this issue. Has anyone else experienced this problem and/or does anyone have a suggestion on how to get my serial connection stable or reset without rebooting?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Flux.

I believe I found the problem for others that may experience it.

I think the problem is when using a paging program like less or more. It may be my terminal connection or settings or something but as long as I don't pipe a command to more or less everything seems to work just fine.

I'll keep testing and post anything else I find.

Regards,
    Flux.