Thread: Need info

Need info

OK heres how my computer setup is:

Have a old 433mhz computer with windows 98
    Have drv c has master, (primary master) windows 98
    Have my cd-rom as slave or d (primary slave)
    Have my tivio drv as sec master
    No sec slave

I boot up with mfs tools ver 2.0 on floppy
    I get the # prompt
    I enter at the # mkdir /mnt/dos hit return <--- no problems
    Then at # mount /dev/hda /mnt/dos hit return
    and then it comes up for something like sectors not found.
    I did do a shift page up to make sure it got the two hard drives right, it did
    show that my drv c or hda was my 4.3 gig western digial
    it also showed my maxtor 40gig tivo drive as hdc as well.
    Could someone tell me what in the Hell I'm doing wrong?
    I have followed the docs to letter, even made sure the ide cables are 40 pin ribbon with 40 pin connector, would like to get into hacking the drive like everybody else but I don't want to do anything until I learn how to do a back up, Thanks for any input that you may have on this problem.......

Quote Originally Posted by artus
    Then at # mount /dev/hda /mnt/dos hit return
    The command is:

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Thanks ole kind master.....

Thanks Nutkase, the command line, #mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos worked out ok!! I then did a shift page up just to make sure that all the drives were their, however when I checked the maxtor 40 gig it said part not found!!!! aughhh will have to change drives and see what happens on another maxtor 40 gig drive (I have a spare tivo drv). I did see the hdc:hda1 in the page up, I just didn't know I would have to use that in the coomand line. Thanks again for all yer help........

I then did a shift page up just to make sure that all the drives were their, however when I checked the maxtor 40 gig it said part not found!!!! aughhh
    mfs_tools doesn't report the partitions correctly for me either. Just make sure the size is good and go for it.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    Fully hacked SA S1

Went for it

Well I went for it (backing up drive), when I entered #mfsbackup qs6o /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc it just came up with alot of commands, everything that you have sent my way works, however when I input the commands from the docs that I have (mfs tools 2.0) they seem to not to work. Could it be that I'm using out of date commands or is the problem on my end (operater problems) I did do another shift page up and sure enough it had my maxtor drive listed as 41111 something or other but it still looks like it has it as a 40gig drive though. I might try going to hidales site and take a look at his docs and see if thier the same as what I have now. Thanks for all yer help so, yer advice has been right on the money..........

I might try going to hidales site and take a look at his docs and see if thier the same as what I have now. Thanks for all yer help so, yer advice has been right on the money..........

Use Hinsdale's guide. It's the standard for backing up and putting in larger drives.

NutKase
    Fully hacked SA S1