Thread: Upgrading Series 2 TIVO from 40GB to 250GB

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Upgrading Series 2 TIVO from 40GB to 250GB

I am Upgrading Series 2 with 4.01b OS TIVO from 40GB to 250GB. I will be replacing the 40GB drive to a 250GB Drive (Maxtor 250GB Ultra ATA/133). Need to know what tools I need to make an image of the current drive to the large drive. I have MSFT 2.0 Bootable CD, and would like to get the directions to do it. Remember I will be replacing and not adding an additional drive. Any tips and suggestions before I start on it. Anyone out there have don it before. Will 250GB drive heat up or any particular sugggestion on what drive to use?

One S2, TCD24004A - 4.0.1b - 120gb; one HDVR2 4.0 - 2x120gb
    Sleeper'd; Monte'd, Bash, Telnet, TivowebPlus, MFS_FTP, TyTool, MRV, HMO with NoScramble.
    One HDVR2 4.0.1b - 200gb (173 hours)
    KillHDinitrd; Monte'd, Bash, Telnet, TivowebPlus, MFS_FTP, TyTool, MRV, HMO with NoScramble; USB 2.0

Is the documentation for Series 1 or 2 ? Also heard about LBA48 hack e.t.c and there is an issue. I simply want to know will an ATA133 250GB hard Drive work or not and if any one with experience about upgrading a series 2 with OS 4.01b would be appreciated.

The documentation is for both Series 1 and 2, just like it says in the, uh... documentation.

Your drive should work fine, but you'll need to make a decision as to whether you want to play it safe & limit the drive's capacity to 137GB with the manufacturer's utility or format & use the entire 250GB with an LBA48 kernel.

Only using 137GB of the drive has the advantage of being able to use the stock Tivo kernel(s). This makes for a stable system and makes software upgrades less of a PITA, but you lose almost half of the drive's capacity.

On the other hand, you can replace your kernel with an LBA48 kernel and utilize the entire 250GB but this method isn't for the feint of heart... finding and/or building a suitable kernel is part of the battle. There are discussions on this board about exactly that. If you decide to go this route, you need to be very vigilant about any future software upgrades that Tivo sends down the pipe... if your Tivo were allowed to boot into a non-LBA48 kernel you risk trashing the data on the drive.

The Hinsdale FAQ only covers the drive upgrade & does not deal with replacing the kernel.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

So will 2 120GB drives have the problems of upgrades and kernel LBA48? Thanks a bunch for the clear explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by hantousha
    So will 2 120GB drives have the problems of upgrades and kernel LBA48? Thanks a bunch for the clear explanation.
    120gb drives will work with no modifications other than the initial upgrade.

Any modified drives (other than capacity upgrades) have the potential to cause software upgrade issues.

Quote Originally Posted by hantousha
    Just to be clear, the 137GB size limitation is a per-drive thing... you can install 2 120GB drives with no additional modifications.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

danger How painful to expand past 137GB limit later?

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy
    ... Your [250GB] drive should work fine, but you'll need to make a decision as to whether you want to play it safe & limit the drive's capacity to 137GB ... or format & use the entire 250GB with an LBA48 kernel.
    I have a variation that I haven't seen discussed. I have a virgin Hughes SD-DVR40 (Series 2 DTiVo) running 3.1.1c, about to replace the original drive with a new 160GB Seagate.

Ideally I'd like to:
    1. Replace the original drive with the 160GB, without LBA48 (drive limited to 137GB), keep old recordings, no hacks yet.
    2. (Use for awhile, will be saving more recordings)
    3. Hack (killhdinitrd, monte, etc.), but still no LBA48 yet.
    4. Install LBA48 and claim the missing space (while keeping old recordings).
    5. Install USB network adapter (this will be last, because I don't have that hardware yet; new HD was the $ priority to gain more recording space)
    6. More hacking fun

Questions:
    1. Is step 4 possible?
    2. Will it be a PITA (e.g., must redo the HD upgrade vs. simply expanding and/or adding partitions into the previously hidden space)? I won't consider it "painful" to have to remove the drive from the TiVo again to do the work on a PC.
    3. Any compelling reasons to install LBA48 from the start (e.g., will end up with a more optimal set of MFS partitions)?

The idea is to take things in small steps. I'm also kinda stalling to see if the 3.1.1d rollout a) happens soon, and b) has LBA48. But if expanding from 137 to 160GB later is not possible or too painful, then I'll do it all at once.

This will be of interest to others that have already installed a >120GB drive without LBA48 and now want to make all the space accessible.

I'm not looking for a how-to here (I think I've found sufficient pointers to the information). Just trying to find out if the above plan will lead to a dead end. I would be interested to learn more about how and why mfstools chooses the sizes and numbers of the various partitions (anyone have a pointer?).

Background: I'm running Fedora and Win2K. Very comfortable with Linux, messing with partitions, downloading source and building stuff if necessary. Just haven't dug into my TiVo yet (gave it a few months of burn-in before voiding the warranty).

Step 4 is not possible. You will need to backup and reimage the drive thereby losing all your recordings...(think of it as playing a chess game on an 8x8 grid, then somebody comes along and makes it a 10x11 grid..kinda throws your game, no?) Better to try LBA48 from the start...if you have the stomach...and then revert to 137GB if you can't make a go of it. At least that way you minimize the loss of programming.
    Last edited by fboner; 09-27-2004 at 01:49 PM.