Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My HR10-250 Hacking How-To (based on my personal experience) (merged)

Post My HR10-250 Hacking How-To (based on my personal experience) (merged)

After working off of a bunch of discontinuous and hard to follow hacking posts, I've put together a pretty decent step-by-step guide on hacking the HD Tivo. Please check it out and let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.

http://www.imbetterthanyou.com/hr10-250/

Thanks...

Derek aka DSmooth aka ][ronMan
    ---
    Derek a.k.a DSmooth a.k.a. ][ronMan

that is an awesome document!

It shows exactly what to do, it shows the steps, and you can learn what it is doing as you do it.

Very cool!

One small typo.

Right before the 'halt' command, you say, 'Halt your tivo', you meant 'Halt your pc'

Phil

Thanks Phil... Typo fixed...

---

When the hd-tivo comes down a bit in price, I'll buy one.

I just broke down and bought a D-VHS machine. Got a really good price on it
    ($389) and it does 1080i and 720p digital tapes as well as records std/s-vhs tapes. Any Amazon is selling quite a few d-vhs/1080i tapes

Phil

About sysinit.author

I noticed that in step 8, sysinit.author, you show the usb and ethernet drivers as:

#install usb and ethernet drivers
    insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o
    #insmod /lib/modules/hcd.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ehci-hcd.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ax8817x.o

While other guides have listed the usb and ethernet drivers as:

#install usb and ethernet driver
    insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o
    insmod /lib/modules/hcd.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ehci-hcd.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ax8817x.o

In your guide, the "insmod /lib/modules/hcd.o" is not implemented. Which method is correct?

steve90071,
    People who are showing hcd.o as one of the modules required for usb and ethernet did a lot of copying and pasting from other series 2 tivo solutions. hcd.o isn't present on the HR10-250, so you surely don't need to insmod it.

---

Thanks

Thanks Ironman.

This is a great piece of work, particularly for handicapped hackers like myself!

Not a problem. Sometimes all we want is a nice step-by-step guide for how do do things. For example, my buddy has a HDVR2 that he wants to hack. I've hacked my standalone series 1 and my series 1 DirecTivo, but I have no idea how to help him hack his HDVR2. The whole Monte thing has yet to be clearly explained in a nice step-by-step tutorial. Once I had hacked my HDTivo I didn't want others to feel the same way about it, so I put down all the steps as easily as I could. I appreciate your kind words...

---

Moved to Newbie

I hope you don't come back to this board begging for a backup image when your HDTivo gets hosed sometime down the road, and believe me that day will come. Telling someone not to make a backup of their drive before attempting to hack it is not only irresponsible but downright stupid. I would venture to say that having to restore a backup image due to some errant implementation of a hack or just bad luck has happened to the vast majority of Tivo "hackers" at one time or another.

Here's a quote from the guide:

4 Backing up
    If you are a pussy, feel free to back up your drive and restore it onto a new drive. I went balls out and didn't.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I have done all the steps to get the networking working and it does work great as I can telnet in and ftp in. However, I get call failed trying to setup the ',#401' settings in the dial prefix. What dumb thing could I have done wrong? Thanks

captain_video,
    This was meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment. It's hard to translate sarcasm to the digital domain...

Derek aka DSmooth aka ][ronman

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    I hope you don't come back to this board begging for a backup image when your HDTivo gets hosed sometime down the road, and believe me that day will come. Telling someone not to make a backup of their drive before attempting to hack it is not only irresponsible but downright stupid. I would venture to say that having to restore a backup image due to some errant implementation of a hack or just bad luck has happened to the vast majority of Tivo "hackers" at one time or another.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by ][ronMan
    captain_video,
    This was meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment. It's hard to translate sarcasm to the digital domain...

Derek aka DSmooth aka ][ronman

I totally agree with cpt_video: its extremely irresposible to even suggest that anyone do this without backing up first.

Images are very hard to come by, and most importantly EACH IMAGE COMES WITH A SERIAL NUMBER BURNED INTO IT (see the instructions on the new InstantCakeHD if you don't believe me) so its very unlikely that many people will be willing to let a friend copy their image.

You instructions should tell people to copy their drives, then only work on the copy (leaving the original in a safe place in case the HDTivo needs to be serviced or restored)

To clear up confusion, I'll change the wording.

---

The only reason I mentioned it is because there are countless numbers of newbies that don't make backups of their drives before they jump in and hose it up. Just look at the image begging thread to see what I'm talking about. The only images anyone should ever have to ask for is one for Xtreme or for a different model Tivo than the one they own (i.e. 4.0.x for a S2 DTivo). A newbie that reads your guide could easily misinterpret your "tongue-in-cheek" comment and take it as gospel. You should be stating that backing up the original drive is mandatory and not just something to be done only if they feel like it. No one should ever consider hacking a Tivo without first backing up the original drive. Ideally, you shouldn't even be hacking the original drive but rather using one that you have restored the backup image to. I generally do this with every Tivo I've ever hacked. Once I'm satisfied that the backup image is working as it should then I usually add the original drive back into the mix as the B drive.

To be precise, you tell the user to reinstall the drive in the Tivo and make sure it boots up properly. Unfortunately, you don't tell them what to do if they have boot problems or where to look for help. This is where you can expect to get deluged with PMs and posts pleading for help. Since you wrote the guide and posted it, the rank and file here will fully expect you to support any questions stemming from use of your guide.

Don't get me wrong, I think your guide is fairly well written and concise but it could use a little tuning up. It couldn't hurt to insert links to the discussion threads that describe each of the various hacks that you direct the user to install. It's also a good idea to reinforce the notion that the user read through all of the aforementioned threads so they understand exactly what they're doing before they ever crack open the case on their new $1000 toy. A guide should be used to educate as well as demonstrate the methodology and button pushing. The user should be informed as to why he is performing a step and not just told to do it. Otherwise, they have learned nothing and will have no clue how to fix problems later when they occur.

FWIW, I would never recommend the USB200M adapter to anyone except perhaps a laptop user that's looking for something small and portable. The USB200M is only one of several USB ethernet adapters that is compatible with the ax8817x.o driver. The Netgear FA120 is a better design for a permanent setup and allows for a much more solid connection to an RJ45 connector, IMO. You should at least inform the user that there are other options available or at least point them to the list of compatible devices.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!