Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My HR10-250 Hacking How-To (based on my personal experience) (merged)

Thanks for the quality input captain_video. I'll try to link in some other threads without cluttering up the directions. The reason I linked right to files and not to threads was to help reduce confusion, but perhaps I can put a "Why?" link or two in each step so that people can look for more information. As far as the network adapter goes, that is a good suggestion, and I'll add it to my next revision.

Derek aka DSmooth aka ][ronMan
    ---
    Derek a.k.a DSmooth a.k.a. ][ronMan

Thumbs up

Thanks for putting that together, Derek! This will help me immensely when I finally dive in. If you had Caller ID instructions in there it would be perfect <hint-hint>

bigrig,
    It's kinda hard to tell with the red color, but is that J.B. and K.G. in your avatar? If so, super cool... I'll add instructions for getting elseed up and running in an appendix to the HowTo...

---

I absolutly love your guide and was hoping if you can please add fixsub to the guide. Thank you very, very much.

You should be able to find info on installing fixsub and any other hack in either Sleeper's tivoscript thread or MrBlack51's monte thread in the series 2 support section. Try a little legwork on your own first and you'll be amazed how much you can learn.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    You should be able to find info on installing fixsub and any other hack in either Sleeper's tivoscript thread or MrBlack51's monte thread in the series 2 support section. Try a little legwork on your own first and you'll be amazed how much you can learn.

I found a couple of threads such as http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...near#post88291 to help. But none of them are as detailed as ][ronMan's guide. I just don't want to screw up.

The guide does indeed show you how to do what you want but do you actually understand what it is you're doing and why? This is the info that is crucial to hacking a Tivo. Without learning the rationale behind the hack you won't be able to troubleshoot any problems when they occur later (and newbies have lots of them, believe me).

The great thing about hacking a Tivo is that you can't really screw it up. If you create and test a backup image from your original drive then you should have no worries whatsoever. You'll learn far more by making mistakes than you ever will with a clearcut guide leading you by the nose. If you don't install a hack properly and your Tivo won't boot, simply restore the backup image and start again. It's easy to do and doesn't take long. Most of all you have to learn to be patient. Don;t expect to get it right the first time, unless you've spent a lot of time reading and learning and fully understand what you're doing before you crack open the case.

I spent about 3-4 months reading every bit of info I could find in these forums before I ever had the opportunity to take the cover off my DTivo. I was on the road for about two years straight and bought my first DTivo on ebay many months before I returned home to enjoy it. I didn't have any choice as to when I could actually begin hacking the unit since it was unavailable to me during that time. Instead, I spent all my spare time reading and learning and the time I spent paid off in the end. I hacked my DTivo correctly the first time I tried with no problems at all, and I didn't have any guides to walk me through the process. I knew absolutely nothing about Linux (and basically just enough now to get me into trouble) when I started so I was a newbie in every sense of the word. Most newbies today want to hack their Tivos the minute they get them home and then are dumbfounded when the hacks don't work as advertised. Take your time and learn to do it right. The info is here but it will take a bit of effort to find it and weed out what you need. For info on where to get started, check out this thread:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=37058
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I commend you for making the changes to your guide, and if I may make one more suggestion:

you may want to add in there something about log management (either clearing them manually, using the TWP plugin, or nulling them with noLogs or logsnull) so that people don't keep wonder why their /var partition gets wiped out.

This may also border on the caption_video point about not being too directive, but it is sure to come up

Good call... Maybe a "Maintenance" appendix is in order too. Been a busy weekend, but I hope to implement a bunch of these suggestions tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by rewrite
    I commend you for making the changes to your guide, and if I may make one more suggestion:

you may want to add in there something about log management (either clearing them manually, using the TWP plugin, or nulling them with noLogs or logsnull) so that people don't keep wonder why their /var partition gets wiped out.

This may also border on the caption_video point about not being too directive, but it is sure to come up
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by plugplay
    I have done all the steps to get the networking working and it does work great as I can telnet in and ftp in. However, I get call failed trying to setup the ',#401' settings in the dial prefix. What dumb thing could I have done wrong? Thanks
    I'm having the same problem. It has a default gateway set and I can ping internet addresses, but daily call with any ,#4xx prefix fails. I've done it on my old Series 1, but it's not working on the HD-DTivo for me.

I still have to connect a serial cable every two weeks. I'm beginning to suspect that daily call via network card isn't possible on the HR10-250.

Yes, as of right now, the ,#401 series 1 ethernet dailiy call hack doesn't work on the network enabled HR10-250 (also doesn't work on other series 2 DirecTivo's). When progress is made on getting this to work, I'll update the step-by-step guide.

---

Quote Originally Posted by ][ronMan
    Yes, as of right now, the ,#401 series 1 ethernet dailiy call hack doesn't work on the network enabled HR10-250
    Okay. Thanks for confirming that.

Hamster aka Hamster

Quote Originally Posted by ][ronMan
    bigrig,
    It's kinda hard to tell with the red color, but is that J.B. and K.G. in your avatar? If so, super cool...
    Yeah, Kage and Jables!

Very nice indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by bigrig
    Yeah, Kage and Jables!
    ---

does the #401 problem have anything to do with the private (192.168) ips in the /etc/resolv.conf file?