Thread: Uber Newbie Trying to Get Things Straight...

Hybrid View

Uber Newbie Trying to Get Things Straight...

Hi. I just got my DirecTivo Series 2 35-Hour box last week. A couple of days ago, I was able to, easily enough, add a 120 GB second drive...so, I'm confident that I can figure things out, and respect the standard set in this community of self awareness and exploration...I just want to see if I've got a basic grasp of what order I need to do things in order to accomplish my next goal...extraction and subsequent DVD burning (If not only for the fact that my wife couldn't bear with me fiddling away with her precious box and getting nowhere...or worse!! ) So...after pouring over the threads...do I have this order straight?

1. Connect (only original smaller?) drive and hack into it with Sleeper's script along with 4.0.1b (that I should get from emule...although I'm concerned about getting the correct version)
    2. Somehow disable encryption
    3. Connect PC to Tivo via USB.
    4. Get Mfs_ftp and send it into the TiVo
    5. Get and load TyTools into both PC and TiVo and use it as an interface for reading and manipulating saved raw video.
    6. Use DVD editing software to cut video to my liking
    7. Burn away.

I'm sorry if I've been too verbose...I'm just trying to build the framework in my mind to delve more deeply into things myself. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by IronicDrem
    Hi. I just got my DirecTivo Series 2 35-Hour box last week. A couple of days ago, I was able to, easily enough, add a 120 GB second drive...so, I'm confident that I can figure things out, and respect the standard set in this community of self awareness and exploration...I just want to see if I've got a basic grasp of what order I need to do things in order to accomplish my next goal...extraction and subsequent DVD burning (If not only for the fact that my wife couldn't bear with me fiddling away with her precious box and getting nowhere...or worse!! ) So...after pouring over the threads...do I have this order straight?

1. Connect (only original smaller?) drive and hack into it with Sleeper's script along with 4.0.1b (that I should get from emule...although I'm concerned about getting the correct version)
    2. Somehow disable encryption
    3. Connect PC to Tivo via USB.
    4. Get Mfs_ftp and send it into the TiVo
    5. Get and load TyTools into both PC and TiVo and use it as an interface for reading and manipulating saved raw video.
    6. Use DVD editing software to cut video to my liking
    7. Burn away.

I'm sorry if I've been too verbose...I'm just trying to build the framework in my mind to delve more deeply into things myself. Thanks in advance.
    You've got a lot of reading to do. I'd say you've already come close to shooting yourself in the foot. There have been reports Sleeper's TiVoScripts does not work properly with dual drives. It is easy to add a second drive, removing it is not so easy.

Also, not all models of DirecTiVo will run 4.x software (which is not necessary for extraction).

Other problems with your plan:

1. NEVER hack the original drive - it's a valuable troubleshooting tool, and a lifesaver if you make a mistake while hacking.

3. You'll need a usb - ethernet adapter.

Again, Read, read, then read some more.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 08-28-2004 at 11:10 AM.
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.