Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: A killhdinitrd'd 3.1u5 kernel and a Monte

I'm very impatient. I'm wondering...

I have several 9GB hard drives sitting here at work. Is there anything that prevents me from downgrading my tivo to 9GB, work on setting up NFS and just mount my server's drive in the correct place in the filesystem, thus have tivo writing directly to my server?

Just curious. If that works I'll start hacking today.

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    You can use killhdinitrd on ANY supported kernel, put it in the kernel partition, 1 less than shown by bootpage, and you're good.
    You guys really shouldn't be using that broken x86 bootpage binary (the one that answers '4' or '7' to "bootpage -b" or "bootpage -a").

Quote Originally Posted by EvilJack
    I think hat monkying with the /etc/rc.sysinit and
    /etc/rc.sysinit.real stuff is more trouble than it's worth.
    If I missed something about this, let me know.
    yep, monte doesn't initialize hardware. it's good to know exactly what state everything is in before loading monte

the 166 lines of rc.sysinit & 466 of rc.arch (on a 3.1.5 box anyway) executed twice with your test.conf process might or might not interfere with monte but at the very least that would slow the boot process

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    You guys really shouldn't be using that broken x86 bootpage binary (the one that answers '4' or '7' to "bootpage -b" or "bootpage -a").
    I don't. I use the bootpage on the tivo. I was referring to bootpage -p /dev/hdx, which I figured had more exposure and mor people would be familiar with it.

I haven't used bootpage -a or -b much but the work fine with the tivo binary and return a single 3 or 6.

Just to learn I'll play with -a and -b tonight I just got some confusing output.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

For what its worth, I'm now running a SIR-S4040R (samsung 40 hr Direct Tivo Series 2 RID unit) on the 2.4.4 kernel built with the instructions earlier in this thread (thanks to w2kr. I'm still working on getting a clean build of the code myself). Last night I expanded the mfs partitions to take up all of a 250 gig drive, and it seems to be running just fine this morning. Will take a few days to fill up the disk though, but once that happens I'll report back.

BTW, it was the directions here on killhdinitrd and the rc.bogus tricks that really put me over the top. Took a dozen readings, but I finaly had that 'break through moment' where I actually understood what was happening. Just the ability to stop mucking arround with partitions and just edit rc files was a huge win. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewSeidl
    BTW, it was the directions here on killhdinitrd and the rc.bogus tricks that really put me over the top. Took a dozen readings, but I finally had that 'break through moment' where I actually understood what was happening. Just the ability to stop mucking arround with partitions and just edit rc files was a huge win. Thank you.
    Beautiful! That's what we're in it for...

That 'breakthrough moment' is worth it all, welcome to the club ...

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    Fully hacked SA S1

Trying to wakeup

I am trying to wakeup from my nap and learn some new tricks.
    So please bare with me.

Let me see if I get this RIGHT.
    If I follow the steps on post #53 and variations available on this thread to load a second kernel I should be able to load 4.0.X. Then I could apply Superpatch to run HMO on my RID DTIVO. And of course will like to keep all of the functionality available in a montied Tivo.
    Like TivowebPlus, tytools, mfs_ftp and bash.

not so much - 4.x kernel & modules won't run on a rid box

it's possible to recompile them to, but that a topic for a whole 'nother thread

Where do I go from here?

Hey all! I originally had a Hughes S1 DiTivo and considered networking it. Then I read up (but obviously not enough) on the S2 DiTivos and got all excited about HMO and eliminating the need for a phone line. I ordered one and a tech came out and installed a Samsung SIR-S4040R DiTivo S2 receiver and I forced a series of dial up sessions to update the software to v4.0. To my surprise, I didn't see it get updated and after doing some more reading, I found that I was dooped. I have a box that Tivo will not upgrade because Directv doesn't want them to.
    So, I used Sleepers ISO to hack on a copy of the master drive. I still have the original drive so that I can go back if I want. Anyway, I don't much about working in linux. I am a windows network admin and don't have much time to play with it. I did manage to telnet into the box with some help of someone on a forum and install tivowebplus and it's working so I guess I can fumble around. However Tystream and Tyextract are not working for me and I am sort of stuck there.
    So, after writing a book here, what do I want? I still would like to be able to get to v4.0 of the tivo software if it's possible and use HMO and maybe hack it to allow streaming to a pc. I have read that some users have been able to get 4.0 to run on a s2 ditivo but I found an image and installed it on a drive with no luck. It started to boot and then choked. It got stuck at the please wait screen. Oh well, back to the sleeper'd drives. Is it possible to even by a drive already imaged with 4.0 out there somewhere that will work in my box? Or is there a place that I can find an image and instructions to do it myself? If you have info on this, you can email me directly at sjcguyATgmail.com as, Tivo probably doesn't want this posted. Alternatively, I seen that there is another option which many say is not buggy like sleeper. Is there a script out there or do step-by-step instructions exist for us novice users? Thank you for taking the time to read my long post and I appreciate any help you can provide.
    Last edited by techbri; 09-16-2004 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by techbri
    So, after writing a book here, what do I want? I still would like to be able to get to v4.0 of the tivo software if it's possible and use HMO and maybe hack it to allow streaming to a pc.

<snip>

Alternatively, I seen that there is another option which many say is not buggy like sleeper. Is there a script out there or do step-by-step instructions exist for us novice users? Thank you for taking the time to read my long post and I appreciate any help you can provide.
    Most of your post is off-topic here. You might try searching for your tivo model. There's some Samsung 4040 hacking going on here!.

No Sleeper and No Scripts! Thank God.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 09-16-2004 at 11:40 AM.
    Fully hacked SA S1

sorry, didn't mean to wander off topic

I just wanted to get someone to at least listen to my problems and recommend a solution. I will check out the link you recommended, thanks!

I hacked my other TiVo this weekend using the methods outlined in this thread. This one is a Toshiba sd-h400, which runs TiVo software 5.1.

The one variation for this machine: killinitrd (NOT killhdinitrd) doesn't seem to work with this kernel.

0x0001523c: Expected 0x10400054 but instead got 0x00000000!
    So I used replace_initrd instead: link

DVR39 3.1.1c monte to 4.0

Works for me!

A little background first. I have a DRV39 that is sleeper'ed to v4.0 with tons of recordings. With the release of HMO/MRV, killhdinitrd,and NoCsos, I decided to get another DVR39 (not connected to sat) for the kids to watch their shows on using MRV. All went well with killhdinitrd and monte as discribed in NutKase's earlier posts. The DVR39 boots and runs well, shows transfer from the sleeper'ed DVR39 with MRV but I am not able to view them. Not sure why. Any ideas?
    Last edited by khig; 09-24-2004 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Doh! spelling

Quote Originally Posted by khig
    Works for me!

A little background first. I have a DRV39 that is sleeper'ed to v4.0 with tons of recordings. With the release of HMO/MRV, killhdinitrd,and NoCsos, I decided to get another DVR39 (not connected to sat) for the kids to watch their shows on using MRV. All went well with killhdinitrd and monte as discribed in NutKase's earlier posts. The DVR39 boots and runs well, shows transfer from the sleeper'ed DVR39 with MRV but I am not able to view them. Not sure why. Any ideas?
    You posted about the same question, in another thread, to which I've already replied before I saw this one...

That said, you didn't say anything about 'unscrambling' the video 'recording' on the NON-superpatch-4all'd DVR39.

Have you checked that the video is UNscrambled on the 'sleeper'd tivo?

BTW, you're own your own in THIS thread with 'Sleeper' problems ... my stance has become pretty clear. .

NutKase
    Fully hacked SA S1

Getting away from sleeper

Thanks for your reply NutKase and I agree with your stance on the whole sleeper issue, thats why I'm here. I am weining myself away from it, I'm waking up I plan to 'wake up' my original DVR39 with the process you used earlier in this thread, but I first want to insure the my recordings can still be viewed.

My first unit used the kmem patch to prevent scrambling of the videos. I ran the first release of superpatch on both units to get the MRV running. I only used the NoCso on the second unit. If I follow you correctly, I need to apply it to both units to feel the joy.

Back when I first tried to monte my orginial unit, I did it manually with your help I read in other threads. Worked the first time. But I needed you change a few things so I used the 'iso' to 'speed' the process. I could tell you the rest but I'm sure you've seen it before. Let's just say I no longer have that 'iso' on my computer.

Sorry about the crossposting, but was unsure where I should ask the question because I was using both threads in the process. I posted here to share the eye opening success (for me) I had with the killhdinitrd'd 3.1.1c kernel and a Monte. I'm awake now and not going back to 'sleep'.

Thanks for your help NutKase.

Do you still want what we PM'd about?

khig