Thread: Ultimate fan for UltimateTV

Ultimate fan for UltimateTV

I have tried laptop coolers, fans inside the entertainment center, and the UTV sill seemed too hot for me. While I was destroying a power supply for a computer I noticed the fan and had an idea. And it works great. The fan is held in with screws that tread into the fan. I installed the fan onto the back of the UTV. You will need to put a washer between the UTV and the fan to allow the cover to close. Have the fan blow air into the UTV. Remove the fan on the hard drive mount; turn it around so it is blowing air towards the outside of the UTV. There are marking on the fan that show what direction the airflow goes. Run the power wires thru hole and connect to power source. After running all day the bottom of the UTV is warm, not hot like before. It does not look the best, but it works great! I cannot attach images so if you want pictures just PM me I have pictures from inside and outside the UTV. Good luck cooling down your UTV.

RandC.

Sounds "cool" ... excuse the pun.

There are some other fan setups posted at avsforum. One uses a slot fan that connects inside the case (perpendicular to the ground) and blows out the vent holes. It can be attached with twisties or zip-ties. Another involves cutting a hole in the top above the tuners & mounting a fan blowing out.

You should try reversing your fan to blow air out of the case & checking the temperature. It might work better than an intake...

Here are some of my Fan Modifications I made

After this the bottom of my UTV is almost ICE cold. However I only used this set up for a few months before I replaced all of my UTV's with TiVo's.

Quote Originally Posted by tgif
    You should try reversing your fan to blow air out of the case & checking the temperature. It might work better than an intake...

tgif how are you doing? you should have little ones running around the house now. Hope everything is going well.
    I tried pulling the air from inside the case to the outside the first time. The bottom of the UTV still got pretty hot. Then I switched it to blow air into the unit, I just tested the temperature with my laser thermometer and the max temp at the tuners was 95.2. Unit has been on continuously for 4 days now, I have not powered off the unit.

geminicat, that is a great install, at least you do not have a fan sticking up from the unit. I think I might give that a shot on my unit. I did not want to cut the cover but for the finished install I believe it would be worth it. Did you have the fan blowing into the unit or taking air out of the unit?

RandC
    Last edited by RandC; 09-08-2004 at 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling

pictures

well I discovered my pop up blocker program was keeping me from attaching pictures. Here they are.

RandC

RandC

I have it blowing into the Compartment onto the Tuners. I found that kept the unit cooler. Also the fan has Purple LED lights so it was Kind of like a night light too.
    Last edited by geminicat; 09-08-2004 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geminicat
    I have it blowing into the Compartment onto the Tuners. I found that kept the unit cooler.
    I will concur on the blowing air into the unit. My testing had the same results.

RandC

Quote Originally Posted by RandC
    tgif how are you doing? you should have little ones running around the house now. Hope everything is going well.
    I tried pulling the air from inside the case to the outside the first time. The bottom of the UTV still got pretty hot. Then I switched it to blow air into the unit, I just tested the temperature with my laser thermometer and the max temp at the tuners was 95.2. Unit has been on continuously for 4 days now, I have not powered off the unit. ***
    RandC
    i'm doing good, thanx for asking. hope yer doing good too. yes, little ones ... everywhere! sleep? huh?

i have an exhaust fan on my top (hole cut). that's interesting info, re: intake v. exhaust & resulting temps. the bottom of my unit stays cool to the touch, so i'm hesitant to fix what isn't broken.

i do like your fan set up. no cutting involved.

I take it everyone is still nice and cool
    "Don't ask me I dont know anything except what I read"

bump for old times sake
    "Don't ask me I dont know anything except what I read"