Thread: What are you running on your HDVR2?

What are you running on your HDVR2?

What version are you running on your HDVR2 and why? Right now I am running 4.0 because of the HMO/Folder stuff. However, Is there a better version? I see 5.2 bantered about..

What is your preference and why?
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Not owning an HDVR2, I can't speak from direct experience... but I believe 5.x has all of the 4.x goodies (HMO, Folders, etc.) plus the advantage of LBA48 support. That looks like the holy grail of Tivo software versions atm.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy
    Not owning an HDVR2, I can't speak from direct experience... but I believe 5.x has all of the 4.x goodies (HMO, Folders, etc.) plus the advantage of LBA48 support. That looks like the holy grail of Tivo software versions atm.
    Installing an LBA48 kernel is trivial on 3.x or 4.x.

5.x on a DTiVo is just for fun. All they really added were more headaches and bugs. 5.2 has DVD burning/playback (non functional so far on non-DVD units), and 5.3 (non functional on Series2.0) has the new loopsets.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez

5.x on a DTiVo is just for fun. All they really added were more headaches and bugs. 5.2 has DVD burning/playback (non functional so far on non-DVD units), and 5.3 (non functional on Series2.0) has the new loopsets.
    Thanks alldeadhomiez. I thought that all 5.2 added was DVD stuff and didn't realize that it doesn't work with Series 2.0 units.... Sounds like the best route for a HDVR2 is to stay with 4.X....

Thanks again.
    TM...
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by tivomaster
    Thanks alldeadhomiez. I thought that all 5.2 added was DVD stuff and didn't realize that it doesn't work with Series 2.0 units.... Sounds like the best route for a HDVR2 is to stay with 4.X....
    5.1 will run on an HDVR2 but the DVD stuff will never work (because it's not an IDE drive) and a number of other things are broken.

5.2 will run on an HDVR2 but the DVD stuff is not functional (yet) and a number of other things are broken.

5.3 won't even boot on an HDVR2 since it's built for the new Series2.5 architecture.

Running 4.0.1b-02 on my HDVR2 for the HMO and folders. I love it

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkdiff
    Running 4.0.1b-02 on my HDVR2 for the HMO and folders. I love it
    Same here!! 4.0 upgrade was worth it just for folders. HMO is neat too. Went from a dying (stock) 40GB drive/35 hours to a shiny new Seagate 160GB/120 hrs and 4.0. Well worth the time and effort.

-Chris

My HDVR2s are old school. All of them are running 3.1.1c-01-2-151 right now.

I am running 4 for the folders... (see the signature line below). Never go back to 3.1.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez

I am in process of re-hacking to use killhdinitrd instead of sleeper and I want to add lba48.

I am searching and reading. Any pointer's (recommended links) for 1ba48 on hdvr2 with 4.01b?
    One S2, TCD24004A - 4.0.1b - 120gb; one HDVR2 4.0 - 2x120gb
    Sleeper'd; Monte'd, Bash, Telnet, TivowebPlus, MFS_FTP, TyTool, MRV, HMO with NoScramble.
    One HDVR2 4.0.1b - 200gb (173 hours)
    KillHDinitrd; Monte'd, Bash, Telnet, TivowebPlus, MFS_FTP, TyTool, MRV, HMO with NoScramble; USB 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Iago
    I am in process of re-hacking to use killhdinitrd instead of sleeper and I want to add lba48.

I am searching and reading. Any pointer's (recommended links) for 1ba48 on hdvr2 with 4.01b?
    The following play-by-play thread, while perhaps containing a bunch of superfluous posts, also, as a result, provides a pretty detailed explanation for getting an lba48 kernel up and running, including virtually any hurdle you could possibly encounter .
    1 HR10-250, upgraded to 570 SD hours, hacked, 6.3b.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 206 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 168 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    tyExtract - Automated batch extraction utility
    YacMon - YAC Server log monitor for new call(s) notification via email/text message

4.0.1b-02-2-240

With a 120GB drive and a USB200M adapter, though I want to go wireless. And I have a DSR708 with the same drive size and version.

120gb Seagate.

4.01b with a killhdinitrd'd 4.01a kernel. Running serial/ethernet telnet, tivoftpd.mips, tivotools, TivoWebPlus, crond and misc fixes/hacks. Best thing I have ever done, next to GETTING the TiVo.