Thread: Upgraded to 4.0, now reboots at 2am every day

Upgraded to 4.0, now reboots at 2am every day

I upgraded my RID-Dtivo to 4.0 using slices and the install appeared to work perfectly. However, my tclinet log is showing that it wants to re-install the 3.1.1c software and sets up a 2am reboot.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dog
    I upgraded my RID-Dtivo to 4.0 using slices and the install appeared to work perfectly. However, my tclinet log is showing that it wants to re-install the 3.1.1c software and sets up a 2am reboot.

Any ideas what might be wrong?
    You've identified the problem. It called Tivo, recognised that it was running the incorrect software, and has been instructed to upgrade to 3.1.1e.

I would suggest searching the forums and see if you can find out how to reset that switch. And of course, make sure it's blocked from calling home either via phone or the internet.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Now I see how the problem happened. On 3.1.1c the fixsub was preventing calls even though I keep the phone plugged in for caller ID. When I installed 4.0 the software, it noticed the USB to internet path (I got the message) and flagged the "wrong" software.

I now have tivo IP blocked, but the damage is already done.
    I've search the forum, but have not found any cure for the 2AM reboot.

I urge others to beware and kill the mothership IP BEFORE having a path online.
    For the paranoid it may also be a good idea to change the MFS call in number to match your home phone (so it's always busy).

Is there any hope for me besides restoring a backup?

Now I see how the problem happened. On 3.1.1c the fixsub was preventing calls even though I keep the phone plugged in for caller ID. When I installed 4.0 the software, it noticed the USB to internet path (I got the message) and flagged the "wrong" software.

For the paranoid it may also be a good idea to change the MFS call in number to match your home phone (so it's always busy).

I would certainly say there is hope. The variable (flag, switch) that has been set can be cleared. Off the top of my head, I don't remember seeing any discussion of how it can be done, but some searching on this for something like '2:00 AM restart' MIGHT come up with the answer. I wouldn't consider restoring unles no one comes up with the answer in the next few days.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

fixsub was designed to suppress the "please make a call" nags, not to block calls.

If your /State/ServiceConfig.SwSystemName is still 4.0* and you are no longer downloading the software every night, I see no reason why it would continue rebooting. Post the relevant sections from your logs.

Browsing MFS I found these entries.

PhoneConfig 3436/10 {
    LastCallStatus = {Pending Restart}

ServiceConfig 3435/10 {
    SwSystemName = 3.1.1c-01-2-351

Below is the relevant log code. I did not notice any entries to download new slices in the full log.

Dec 6 11:05:20 (none) comm[130]: checking for new software
    Dec 6 11:05:20 (none) comm[130]: NewSoftware: getting SwSystem name
    Dec 6 11:05:20 (none) comm[130]: NewSoftware: SwSystem 3.1.1c-01-2-351 is present but NOT active.
    Dec 6 11:05:21 (none) comm[130]: UpdateStatus: status PendingRestart, phase 0, code 2
    Dec 6 11:05:21 (none) comm[130]: NewSoftware: software is not active, new software will be installed at 02:00.
    many of these
    Dec 6 11:14:02 (none) WatchdogAction[129]: SameCallActive, compare last UNKNOWN to now 1102330734
    Dec 6 11:29:11 (none) WatchdogAction[129]: SameCallActive, compare last 1102330734 to now 1102330734
    Dec 6 11:29:11 (none) WatchdogAction[129]: WatchdogAction::Trigger: callActive for 900 interval-secs
    then
    Dec 7 08:30:24 (none) comm[130]: NewSoftware: TCD is idle. Can reboot now.
    Dec 7 08:30:24 (none) comm[130]: NewSoftware: rebooting to install new software...
    Dec 7 08:31:58 (none) comm[126]: No Mercury URL found in the DB
    Dec 7 08:31:58 (none) comm[126]: No CaptureRqst URL found in the DB
    Dec 7 08:31:58 (none) comm[126]: No CaptureRqst SeqNum found in the DB
    Dec 7 08:31:59 (none) tcphonehome[126]: Sending connect event...
    Dec 7 08:31:59 (none) tcphonehome[130]: cleaning /Setup
    Dec 7 08:31:59 (none) tcphonehome[126]: TCphonehome active
    Dec 7 08:32:00 (none) tcphonehome[130]: Fetching /SwSystem/ACTIVE/Name (4.0.1b-01-2-240)

Thanks,
    Red_Dog

Not tested; season to taste.

Code:
    #!/tvbin/tivosh

set db [dbopen]
    transaction {
    	set o [db $db open /SwSystem/3.1.1c-01-2-351]
    	dbobj $o markasrubbish
    	set o [db $db open /State/ServiceConfig]
    	dbobj $o set SwSystemName "4.0.1b-01-2-240"
    }

Just to check my own understanding, a DTivo can download a new software version over the air, can it not? Or have all the 3.1.1x upgrades happened over the phone (or Inet, if so configured)?

BTW, if one instructs the DTiVo (through the on screen menus) to use the phone (and not use the network connection) as its method to contact the mothership, is the software still smart/sneaky enough to idenify the network connection and attempt it though that?

Thanks,
    JB

ADH, your code snippet worked great. For fun I added a 'dbclose db' to the end. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by tivo4mevo
    Just to check my own understanding, a DTivo can download a new software version over the air, can it not? Or have all the 3.1.1x upgrades happened over the phone (or Inet, if so configured)?
    IMO, software can be downloaded by the sat feed, land line or network phone call. Only the phone or network call can initiate an upgrade.

I have also noticed something in this process. While I had my reboot problem, the tclient log showed no slice processing. I wonder if that is an effective way to block all incoming files. Just a thought.

Should ADH's script be run line by line or can it be saved as a tcl file and then run? I'll check the log to verify the version of software tivo is trying to install.

Tivo made a network call while I was swapping out a router and was in the process of blocking the MAC address from the internet. I guess I should have run fakecall so tivo wouldn't have made the phone call while I was working. I also suspect running the tivodesktop to share pictures and music may also open up a route to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie
    Should ADH's script be run line by line or can it be saved as a tcl file and then run? I'll check the log to verify the version of software tivo is trying to install.

Tivo made a network call while I was swapping out a router and was in the process of blocking the MAC address from the internet. I guess I should have run fakecall so tivo wouldn't have made the phone call while I was working. I also suspect running the tivodesktop to share pictures and music may also open up a route to the internet.
    Note the first line. It's a script. Enter it, double check it for typos, then run it.

PlainBill

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Note the first line. It's a script. Enter it, double check it for typos, then run it.

PlainBill

Thought so BUT the only linux I know is from tivo. I know simple DOS batch files can generally also be run by just typing each line from a prompt and wasn't sure if I could just do the same in linux. I hope I only have to run this script once and wasn't sure if just typing the commands line by line would work.

Amazing how well 4.0 manages to sneak in ethernet phone calls.