Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your first computer?

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    Jeez, you're even older that me
    Hey! Watch it, youngster! My first computer was the VIC-20.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy
    Hey! Watch it, youngster! My first computer was the VIC-20.

-psxboy
    Altair 8800.......
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

IMSAI 8080 was the first kit I built.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

What was your first computer?

...Split from "A killhdinitrd'd 3.1u5 kernel and a Monte"

In the attempt to promote some camaraderie, feel free to describe your first computer , or not as it might tell something about your age?

Mine was a Tandy 1000. $1300 used.

It came upgraded with 640K of RAM, an 8088 (beat the pants off the 8086) and a 5 1/4 inch floppy. Woohoo!

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    ...Split from "A killhdinitrd'd 3.1u5 kernel and a Monte"

In the attempt to promote some camaraderie, feel free to describe your first computer , or not as it might tell something about your age?

Mine was a Tandy 1000. $1300 used.

It came upgraded with 640K of RAM, an 8088 (beat the pants off the 8086) and a 5 1/4 inch floppy. Woohoo!

NutKase
    My first computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000 which was a great little Z80 computer which at the time could be picked up surplus with some add-ins for about $100. The computer had one fatal flaw however and that was that the foiled ribbon that connected the keyboard to the motherboard would come unseated all the time. I rarely used the computer for this reason.

The first computer I did anything serious on was a Tandy COCO (the original silver one with the chicklet keys) which was not long after followed by a COCO 2. Those were great computers, forced me to learn to program because my parents were far to cheap to actually buy me any software for the thing let alone a drive of any sort.

Later (this was nearly 1992 by that point) I was lucky enough to get an Apple II+ with a single 5 1/4" floppy disk. I thought I was really in there at that point since I had a drive to save the programs I wrote on. My parents still didn't buy me any software however but I managed to get a few public domain bits to work with and a used copy of wordperfect for the apple.

By about 1994 I found an Apple IIc+ advertised for $100 from someone and convinced my parents to buy it for me since it was 4x faster than the II+ and ran all the same software. They also bought me an imagewriter II printer and an additional drive (I guess they were feeling nice or something). I used that until 1/2 way through my senior year in high school (I graduated in 1996).

The 2nd half of high school I finally got a PC and it was a 486 SLC30 (which is really a 386 masqurading as a 486 if you know any PC history) which I used for about 2 years.

All the PC's after that really don't mean much to me. I have to say the most memorable times were on the COCO's and the Apple II+ by far. Its where I learned to program (although only in basic until near the end when I scammed a copy of pascal from a teacher) and built my interest in computers.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

Most people bought a car with their high school graduation money.. not me, I bought a used Leading Edge 8088, 640K ram, 20Mb MFM hard drive! A year later I upgraded it to a huge 30Mb RLE hard drive and bought a brand new 2400 baud modem. Ahh yes... those were the days..

I still have it on a shelf if anyone wants it!

-Steve

TRS80 Rules!!!

TRS80 with a cassette drive for storage
    loading asteroids from the tape took 30 minutes
    Ma l'italiano Ť benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry
    Its not what you want it's what the electorate wants.

I'll be dating myself as fairly young compared to some here, but oh well....

The first computer that I called "mine" was a Packard Bell Legend 386sx. It had a 20MB HDD that I thought I would never be able to fill up, even after installing Microsoft Windows and one of it's competitors at the time, GeoWorks Ensemble. I still preferred dosshell, though

Before that, though, we had a number of computers in the family: We had a lab full of TRS-80s at one point. Also I remember some various white-box PCs ranging from an 8088 (3 families before the 80386, for those who don't remember...) to a Toshiba 286 laptop. I also remember an Apple ][ Se fondly.

I could go on through the whole timeline, but I don't think anyone else here cares :-P
    Questions? Problems?
    1. How to avoid asking needless questions
    2. How to ask smart questions

"... and this is your computer on drugs. Any questions?"

My first chip was a dorito. Then I got a commodore 64. IMO its still way better than nintendo 64. Beachhead 2 kicked ass.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    My first chip was a dorito. Then I got a commodore 64. IMO its still way better than nintendo 64. Beachhead 2 kicked ass.

1993 - DORITOSģ Thins brand Tortilla Chips (Lightly Salted and Salsa 'N Cheese flavors) are introduced nationally with Chevy Chase as the celebrity spokesman.
    Wow !!!!!!!

Chevy Chevy Chevy!!!!!!
    Ma l'italiano Ť benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry
    Its not what you want it's what the electorate wants.

First for me was a z80-based cash register motherboard from NCR when I worked there in a summer while in high school.

I wrote a bios in rom, added a cassette tape backup system, and hand typed in Basic for it, since it has offset addressing by 1000H (The prom bios was actuall in low memory).

My first real computer was an Alpha-Micro WD16 machine (PDP-11 based) running AMOS. Multitasking, each user getting a 9k user area.

Of course, I also did the Apple ][ thing. Had 2 floppys, a fully load bus inside, with FPU card, Pascal/language card, etc

Then went the early Mac route for a while. Had a 128k mac, upgraded to 512k and added a 12meg internal hard drive for $1818!!
    Last edited by philhu; 09-15-2004 at 11:43 AM.

My first computer was a VIC-20. I still remember the command I'd use at startup - poke 36879,8. This would make the foreground color white and the background color black, giving it a "professional" look . A floppy drive was an unobtainable thing to drool over and dream about...

After that, it was an Apple ][ (Twapple, actually), PC XT, Commodore Amiga 500, Amiga 2000 and finally a switch back to the darkside with a 486SX.
    There's no place like ~/

The first computer I used was a Control Data 1604. Input was via IBM cards, output was a one page per second line printer.

The next systems were several Honeywell computers accessed via an ASR-33 Teletype and 110 baud modem (timesharing).

The first computer I used 'hands on' was a Hewlett-Packard 2100MX mini. Paper tape for input, ASR-33 for command input, thermal printer for output.

The first computer I OWNED was a Commodore PET - purchased in 1978 for $800 - 8K RAM (which I expanded to 16K by designing and building the board myself) and a built in tape recorder for program storage.

I also have a KIM-1 around, but I acquired that AFTER the PET. Also had a Commodore 64 before I graduated to the PC world.

My first 'PC' was a clone - 256K RAM, dual floppies, 3.57 Mhz 8088 for $1400. This is the last computer I purchased assembled. I still have it - sort of. Over the years I have replaced the case, monitor, keyboard, and all cables - but never all at the same. So the 2.4 Ghz, 120 Gig HD, 512 Meg RAM system I'm currently using is still the same one!

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    The first computer I OWNED was a Commodore PET - purchased in 1978 for $800 - 8K RAM (which I expanded to 16K by designing and building the board myself) and a built in tape recorder for program storage.
    Wow... the Commodore PET. I've heard of that. You ARE old... (Hehe.. just kidding.)

NutKase: Yeah, this is probably a much better place for this thread.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy
    Wow... the Commodore PET. I've heard of that. You ARE old... (Hehe.. just kidding.)

NutKase: Yeah, this is probably a much better place for this thread.

-psxboy
    The Commodore PET was one of the major turning points for the microcomputer revolution. It was the first complete package computer aimed for home use and was amazing that the managed to pack so much into a system for so little cost and make it look so nice. If I remember right it came with monitor and cassette storage built into the main cabinet. On other computers of the day you needed to buy a terminal (almost as much as the entire pet) for display and it was slow because it went over serial or parallel link and you needed to get a casette interface and recorder which weren't entirely reliable and were also a great additional cost. Mmmm, memories.

I wonder if there is an online archive for kilobaud magazine, I have a few copies of it at home in my collection of books and whatnot, but I would love if I could point y'all toward some archive for them. Its a great place to see early hobby computer history.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)