Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your first computer?

Quote Originally Posted by malfunct
    Its a great place to see early hobby computer history.
    Heh.. I wonder how far some of our "newbies" would have gotten in those days.

"I don't have time to learn how to put this thing together. I just need it to do my taxes. Someone tell me how to make it do that!"

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Atari 800 with a cassette drive. Instead of buying games, we would type them in from the BASIC code in Compute magazine and save them on cassette. I thought that it was the best thing in the world.

BTW, back then piracy generally was limited to photocopying a magazine in the library so you could take it home and type the game.

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy
    Wow... the Commodore PET. I've heard of that. You ARE old... (Hehe.. just kidding.)

-psxboy
    Yes, I am. And while you'll never catch up to me, you aren't getting any younger, either.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

My first computer was a Digi-Comp 1 digital computer, back in the 60s. Google for it, you'll see I'm not kidding.

Sinclair ZX-81, complete with a 16K RAM pack which always wobbled just when you'd finished keying the program and lost the lot.

Does a Texas Intruments TI58 count?
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

TI99/4A baby! 16K of RAM, TI BASIC built-in, and some great catridge-based games. I was excited when I got the "Extended Basic" catridge which had 32K ... twice that of the computer itself, and sprite capabilities Gotta miss those days of save programs to cassette tape.

I wrote my first sprite-based game at 10.

Ahhh ... good times good time

My first was a vic-20. Pretty capable for it's day. I had the dataset drives, etc. I then convinced my pop to get me a C-64 after I showed him how I wrote a BASIC proggy that exceeeded memory on the VIC. My third computer was this little beasty given to me in college by some deal with TI and my school:

http://oldcomputers.net/cc-40.html

It was pretty revolutionary for its day. I used write pascal code on it but I could never save anything. The good thing is that it had a non-volatile on/off mode that saved your input as long as the batteries held and they held pretty well.

Check this Ebay auction... I'm tempted but my wife will kill me soon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...122133148&rd=1

Ack.. and I just missed this one. The wooden case looks shweet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    perl -e 'print unpack("u","\@2\&\%V92\!Y;W4\@:&\%C:V5D(\%E/55\(\@5\&EV\;R\!T;V1A>3\\-\`"),"\n";'

TI-99/4A was my first one, followed by a fat mac
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Quote Originally Posted by sanderton
    Sinclair ZX-81, complete with a 16K RAM pack which always wobbled just when you'd finished keying the program and lost the lot.

Does a Texas Intruments TI58 count?
    Did you notice that when the 16k ram pack was in the computer was quite a bit slower? It seemed like it to me on my TX1000 (an american version but much the same I think).
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Yes, I am. And while you'll never catch up to me, you aren't getting any younger, either.
    That fact is becoming increasingly obvious to me on a daily basis. On the positive side though, we'll really rock the old-folks'-home with our 31337 71v0 sk1llz. hehe

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

C64, dual 1541's and a 1571 monitor. I'd pack the whole thing up on the weekends I went home from school. Talk about portable ;-) That thing paid for my beer ("Will type for beer") during college, and was a great tool for learning asm.

Doc

C=64. With a 1541 5.25 floppy drive. Also one of the first things I mod/hacked. There was a prog that allowed burst nibble copying of floppy disks. You had to rig a special cable from the computer to piggy back a chip on the 1541 drive. It worked like a champ. Oh yeah, and since I was cheap, I had a single hole punch to notch the side of the disk so you could flip it over and use the other side. Wasted countless hours playing Bard's Tale and Defender of the Crown. I thought I was the man when I bought a Fast Loader cartridge for it. Used to frequent many wildcat BBS's using my 300 baud modem.

LOAD"$",8

Too funny.
    Last edited by kungpaomaster; 09-18-2004 at 02:13 AM.

The first computer I used and programmed was a TRS-80 Model I. The first one I owned was a Sinclair ZX81. We also got a "family" CoCo shortly after that.

I worry about the younger generation. How will they learn to hack on these modern systems? No BASIC interpreter to get you started; no need to learn ASM if you want to go deeper.
    Last edited by TheWickedPriest; 09-18-2004 at 04:34 PM. Reason: typo

My first post was in error.

I used to go into Radio Shack and program loops in Basic on TRS-80's that they had setup as demo's.

I didn't have the $ to buy anything that early.

I also had a handheld computer with a one line screen that I got from Radio Shack.

It took me a week to program a love letter to a girlfriend...

It showed up one line at a time.

"I love you, Do you love me? Press Enter for yes, or Back for no"

I also remember, pressing plus1 (+1) and equals (=) thousands of times until the 'red-led' TI calculator 999999999999'd and 'rolled-over' just for S $ G's.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 09-18-2004 at 10:53 AM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    I used to go into Radio Shack and program loops in Basic on TRS-80's that they had setup as demo's.
    Heh, me too. On the CoCos, I put in this program that drew lines from the center of the screen to every other point along the edges. It made a cool moire effect in orange and blue, even though the lines were drawn white-on-black. Ten lines or so of code.