Thread: largest successful disks on S2 w/ 4.0?

largest successful disks on S2 w/ 4.0?

Hello,

Has anybody run into an upper limit in useable drive space when upgrading 4.x S2 TiVo's? I'm curious if there are any "year 2000" style limitations in TiVo's software (or anything else) that prevent making full use of all the space that LBA48 is capable of.

Or could I really plop a 144 petabyte drive in this thing and then just record everything forever?

(Because I just happen to have a 144 petabyte drive right here...)

BTW - I have searched until I'm blue in the face on this one, nobody seems to have mentioned how far they've gone, only that you can get past 137GB.

Quote Originally Posted by avramd
    Hello,

Has anybody run into an upper limit in useable drive space when upgrading 4.x S2 TiVo's? I'm curious if there are any "year 2000" style limitations in TiVo's software (or anything else) that prevent making full use of all the space that LBA48 is capable of.

Or could I really plop a 144 petabyte drive in this thing and then just record everything forever?

(Because I just happen to have a 144 petabyte drive right here...)

BTW - I have searched until I'm blue in the face on this one, nobody seems to have mentioned how far they've gone, only that you can get past 137GB.
    All sorts of things roll over at 2TB (2^32 sectors). Examples include: the Mac partition format, most or all of the sector counters and addresses in MFS, and probably a few variables in the Linux kernel.

1TB might be interesting as well, if signed variables are being used.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    All sorts of things roll over at 2TB (2^32 sectors). Examples include: the Mac partition format, most or all of the sector counters and addresses in MFS, and probably a few variables in the Linux kernel.

1TB might be interesting as well, if signed variables are being used.
    Dang!!! Another couple of years, and we should be able to buy 1 TB drives for about $200. It will be interesting to see the first guy who tries to put them in his TiVo without an LBA48 kernel!

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

144 million gigs ...that's some serious storage.