Thread: 3.1.5d upgrade and HR10-250

3.1.5d upgrade and HR10-250

First, here is my situation: Last week my friend said he wanted me to upgrade his HR10-250 with a second hard dirve as I had done his series 1 a while back. I followed Ironman's guide and everything went smoothly. As I was planning on buying my HR10-250 this week, I made a backup image of my friends hacked drive so that when I get mine I could restore the hacked image and be good to go (theortically). Now my question is what direction should I go - should I restore the hacked image, then let it take the 3.1.5d update and then fix it (not sure how to do that yet) - or let it take the update FIRST then re-apply the hacks (which I'm sure would require some alterations to Ironmans guide)?

Thanks,

HUGE

PS - I have not forgotten my friend, he will not care about any of the hacks so long as the second HD works.

bump for advce...

Well, if you want to use the backup image you created of your friend's drive, then you have to go with your first plan above (restore image, let it update, re-hack). If you go the other route (let YOUR drive update first, then hack) then you don't need the backup image at all.

If you're hell-bent on running 3.1.5d, then the second option seems to require the least amount of work.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652

Thanks - What alterations to the Ironman's hack guide would I have to make to make it work?

HUGE

Well... let's see:

Step 5.2: killhdinitrd doesn't support the 3.1.5d kernel, so just use a copy of your killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel in it's place

Step 8: use your new root in place of the old root (new root is PROBABLY /dev/hda4, based on Ironman's assumptions)

Step 15.3: tivoapp patch locations have changed. The new offsets have been posted... search for them.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652

Awesome - thanks for that.

HUGE

Huge, I might have done it wrong, but I followed blulite's post for using the previously killhdinitrd'd kernel, and it almost worked. I followed the instructions there, but either I messed it up or something was wierd, 'cause I ended up having to re-killhdinitrd partition 3 _after_ having copied it over from partition 6. Once I did that, I had no problems at all.

Good luck.