Thread: What to do with old (unsubscribed) series 1?

What to do with old (unsubscribed) series 1?

A couple years ago I upgraded from my SA S1 TiVo to a Series 2 DTiVo (which I've hacked). My old S1 is just sitting in my closet collecting dust. I don't want to re-activate it and use it with my Directv, but I'm wondering if I can put it to SOME kind of use in conjunction with my DTiVo or otherwise.

Anyone here doing anything interesting with their retired S1 SAs?

You could give it to me, a development box is always nice to have.

archive / play tivo recordings

you cold use the SA tivo to archive shows in native ty+ format. You would need both tivos networked so you can FTPed shows fom one tivo to the other. Keep in mind that you would need to change the Dtivo audio setting to record in plain stereo mode and not in dolby since the SA can only play stereo.

You would also have to install all the necesary hacks in the SA for the usual nags not to come up.

using it as an archive player

Quote Originally Posted by Zirak
    You could give it to me, a development box is always nice to have.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll pass on that one

Quote Originally Posted by superleo
    you cold use the SA tivo to archive shows in native ty+ format
    That sounds good Leo. I had thought of that in the past, but I thought it wouldn't work becuase I assumed the dtivo used a different file format / codec. Are recordings from an un-encrypted DTivo identical in format to those on a SA? If so, I think I'm going to have to try it!

Thanks guys.

If you don't have a network card for it, is better if you just sell it. The card is expensive, you can buy another S2 Dtivo for less money.

I recently picked up an old Philips HDR112 and added a Turbonet and a larger hard drive. I'm using it to transfer home movies from my VHS and 8mm tapes and then extract them for eventually compiling and burning to DVD. I figure the Tivo is probably cheaper than buying an expensve video capture card and may also do a better job of converting the analog video to digital.

I use TyTools and DVD-Lab for creating my DVD compilations and so far I've had mixed results. For some weird reason I'm finding that some of the shows I transfer to the Tivo get their timecodes reset back to zero in the middle of the video clip, which totally hoses up the process of creating a set of DVD-compliant files. I'm also getting a lot of jitter during playback of my S-VHS tapes which could be due to the age of the tapes or something in the VCR itself but it's wreaking havoc on the entire process. Anyway, it seems to be working fine with my 8mm tapes played back through my camcorder and the DVDs are coming out great. I've got a large library of home videos compiled over the last 20 years that I'd like to edit and archive to DVD for family members and friends and I figure this is the best way to go about it.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

transfering to DVD

As a matter of fact I just did an Argentinan VHS movie that way.

I do have a DVD express decoder and had used it in the past, however I think using the SA tivo was alot easier, besides, you can watch the movie through the Tivo and/or transfer it to DVD. I also use Tytools for extraction and DVDLabs for menu creation, so far going on 50+ DVDs from which probably 5 that either dont play or only play in the computer for some reason.

I think using the SA tivo to transfer movies to DVD is a great alternative.

re: S1 as a "to DVD" interface

Can you guys provide a little more detail for a relative noob?
    What "nag hacks" are required?
    Do you then simply have the TiVo manually record from the analog inputs? (it's been so long since I ran setup on one I can't recall if this can even be set)

I have an S1 that was _never_ booted. It's like 2.5 years old. My boss bought it, it took a lightning strike (via the phone line) before he even booted it and the modem is blown. I've had it sitting because I can't get past the required initial call! Obviously, I'll need to know how to get past that. I have a current S1 running as well - so I could dd that drive over if it's the simplest thing to do...

Thnx
    Don

XPlusz on SA

I am sure there are many different ways on doing this, but this is what I think the easiest way on using the SA tivo as recorder/player or archiving machine:

By using an XPlusz image on the SA the tivo does not make a call and the software stops all nags, and if you networked the unit you can transfer shows back and forth tivos through FTP and input (to call it something) videos, shows, tapes etc, either throug RCA or 75ohms inputs, you have to set the tivo on chanel 3 or 4 depending on your input setup.

Quote Originally Posted by superleo
    I am sure there are many different ways on doing this, but this is what I think the easiest way on using the SA tivo as recorder/player or archiving machine:

By using an XPlusz image on the SA the tivo does not make a call and the software stops all nags, and if you networked the unit you can transfer shows back and forth tivos through FTP and input (to call it something) videos, shows, tapes etc, either throug RCA or 75ohms inputs, you have to set the tivo on chanel 3 or 4 depending on your input setup.
    I don't believe that will work.
    Mikey

XPlusz on SA

I can atest that it does work. I did install a 2.5.2 image on my Hues112 (or however is the right spelling) when I changed the hard drive to a new 120g, I tested it like this for over a week and then I changed it to the correct image that allows me to get the guide data. I still have this unit 100 % legal plus enhacements ofcourse (turbonet, tytools, ftp, bash, 30 sec skip, 60min buffer and tivoweb).

Bytheway, even with a Xplusz image on a SA you do not need to unscramble, the SA units do not scramble the signal.

In short ... can we do it..... Yes we CAN!!!

just a correction the SA unit is a Philips112
    Last edited by superleo; 10-05-2004 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    I figure the Tivo is probably cheaper than buying an expensve video capture card and may also do a better job of converting the analog video to digital.
    I've got a large library of home videos compiled over the last 20 years that I'd like to edit and archive to DVD for family members and friends and I figure this is the best way to go about it.
    Capn'
    If you have a DV camcorder, you can run your old movies into it, and let the camera do the A/D conversion. You then wind up with a giant uncompressed data file that you can encode to whatever you want. The camera has dedicated hardware for the A/D conversion and you wind up with substantially more data, you can use a multi pass encoder to any resolution you want and produce results superior to Tivo's "on the fly" mpeg compressor.
    My camera lets me stream live input directly to firewire so I don't have to record to tape first. There are some programs that will burn the DVD "on the fly" from the live firewire input, but these use real time mpeg compression and the results are not as good as using "offline" methods.

FWIW that's what i do