Thread: tytools 10.4 Tserver problems

tytools 10.4 Tserver problems

I have a series 1 Tivo and had tytools working fine on it until my pc suffered a crash and I had to rebuild the PC. now when I use tytools 10.4 I get

"ERROR: Failed to Connect!"

when I click the refresh button in tytools

I have looked around online in various places and found that if I manually start tserver via telnet that the refresh button shows the recorded programs and I can download them without any problems.

Before the rebuild I did not have to manually start the tserver every time.

I presume there is a way to do it automatically from within tytools but I cannot see how.

If I click the start tserver menu it just hangs there and comes back with a

tytool Tserver error box

Starting the server failed.Never received the telnet prompt. Please check your setting and try again.

in the preferences I have under server

Server execute string
    /var/hack/tserver

which is what I suspect may be wrong

hopefully someone out there can put me on the right track

Well, first of all, where is tserver on your TiVo? If it is not in /var/hack, then you will never be able to start tserver from the TyTool menu. That will have nothing to do with automatically starting tserver, however. If the location is correct, then you can manually start tserver from the TyTool menu, but that is still not "automatic". That is still starting it manually, just from within TyTool, rather than via telnet. It requires less typing, to be sure. Automatically starting tserver requires calling it from /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author. For more info, see the link in my sig.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    Well, first of all, where is tserver on your TiVo? If it is not in /var/hack, then you will never be able to start tserver from the TyTool menu. That will have nothing to do with automatically starting tserver, however. If the location is correct, then you can manually start tserver from the TyTool menu, but that is still not "automatic". That is still starting it manually, just from within TyTool, rather than via telnet. It requires less typing, to be sure. Automatically starting tserver requires calling it from /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author. For more info, see the link in my sig.
    Hi
    yes tserver is in \var\hack

and when I try to start the server fromtytools
    It waits for a while and then I get the message

8eBlMBV.png

this is what I have in the settings
    1L0U0x7.png

and thgis is the output window

Lagniqc.png

this is what I get in the tytools interface when I do a refresh

I know I used to run tytools without any problems or input from me until I had to to a factory reset on my pc.

Hi

and when I try to start the server fromtytools
    It waits for a while and then I get the message

8eBlMBV.png

this is what I have in the settings
    1L0U0x7.png

and thgis is the output window

Lagniqc.png

this is what I get in the tytools interface when I do a refresh

6R7Wtbs.png
    I know I used to run tytools without any problems or input from me until I had to to a factory reset on my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by in a flap View Post
    Hi
    Um, no, it isn't. \var\hack is not a valid path in Linux. /var/hack is. It looks like you have it correct in your configuration, however.

Have you read the docs in my signature? Is 192.168.1.6 the correct address of the TiVo? Is the address of your PC set correctly in the network settings? If so, this might be a firewall issue.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 04-20-2013 at 02:00 AM.

Um, no, it isn't. \var\hack is not a valid path in Linux. /var/hack is. It looks like you have it correct in your configuration, however.

Have you read the docs in my signature? Is 192.168.1.6 the correct address of the TiVo? Is the address of your PC set correctly in the network settings? If so, this might be a firewall issue.
    yes it is in /var/hack just wrote it wrong in the reply, too many years as a windows user

What version of Windows are you running?

I might suggest you add tserver to the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author file so it runs automatically.

What version of Windows are you running?

I might suggest you add tserver to the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author file so it runs automatically.
    I am having problems on windows XP and windows 7
    It used to run fine on my XP machine until I had to rebuild it after a hard drive crash

I had a look at that file

this is what it contains

#!/bin/bash
    /var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb
    /var/hack/tytools/tserver -s /var/hack/tytools/NowShowing.tcl &

would I be right in thinking that the tytools entry is wrong

can I edit it in notepad and FTP it back to the directory, and if so what should I edit it to

I am not really that familiar with unix.

DO NOT USE NOTEPAD!!!!!!!

Ever.

Use a decent editor. In particular never try to use Notepad (or wordpad, or whatever) to try to edit a Linux or Mac file. If you must use a Windows editor, use something like EditPlus. If you are not familiar with Linux, then the odds you will wind up with a corrupted file when you pass it back to the Linux machine (in this case a TiVo) approach 1:1.

To answer your question, however, if what you posted earlier in the thread is correct, then the path for tserver should be /var/hack/tserver. If you are runnng the latest version of tserver, then the -s option is not necessary. If you are going to use the -s option, then the path to NowShowing.tcl needs to be correct, and according to your post above, it is not.

To simplify, if you are using the latest version of tserver, and your messages above are correct, then the two lines should be:

/var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb
    /var/hack/tserver &

Oh, BTW, it's TyTool, not tytools.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 05-01-2013 at 10:43 PM.

thanks for that, now my only problem is changing the file as it seems to be read only and I have no idea how to change the settings so I can either edit the original or ftp over a new version.

It is probably not the file that is read-only. It is probably the file system. You need to remount the file system as read-write:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    Be sure to remount it read-only when you are done:

Code:
    mount -o remount,ro /