Thread: HD Tivo hacks are gone after 1 month uses

HD Tivo hacks are gone after 1 month uses

I am not quite sure what happend since everything worked fine until the other day. Tivo still works fine and I can get bash, but FTP can't connect and the folders to the hack and mfs_ftp are gone. I have not had a phone line connected but the past week I have got the daily call nag.

kind of strange that I got a good month use from the hacks, Tivoweb, tytools support, ftp etc... my tivo version is 3.1.5.01.2.357

Since I can still get bash and ping the tivo, it seems killhdintird still in tact.

Anyone else had this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by patriot
    I am not quite sure what happend since everything worked fine until the other day. Tivo still works fine and I can get bash, but FTP can't connect and the folders to the hack and mfs_ftp are gone. I have not had a phone line connected but the past week I have got the daily call nag.

kind of strange that I got a good month use from the hacks, Tivoweb, tytools support, ftp etc... my tivo version is 3.1.5.01.2.357

Since I can still get bash and ping the tivo, it seems killhdintird still in tact.

Anyone else had this problem?
    Perhaps /var got wiped? /var can get wiped and rebuilt if it fills up or gets corrupted. It's not really the safest place to put hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    Perhaps /var got wiped? /var can get wiped and rebuilt if it fills up or gets corrupted. It's not really the safest place to put hacks.

Where would you suggest to put them. It seems from most of where I have read, this is where most people have been putting them.

maybe at root under hack and mfs_ftp?

Quote Originally Posted by patriot
    Where would you suggest to put them. It seems from most of where I have read, this is where most people have been putting them.

maybe at root under hack and mfs_ftp?
    One option is to put them in their own partition (2 and 5 are typically free in a killhdinitrd setup). If you can't, or don't want to, mess with the partition layout, you can drop them in the root partition. I use /tivohacks. Of course, some things (mfs_ftp comes to mind) want to be in a rewritable partition. It can be modified to put the rewritable files under /var, but keep the ro files in /tivohacks. Or you can mirror /tivohacks/mfs_ftp to /var/mfs_ftp in rc.sysinit.author, if it isn't already present.

The root partition isn't ideal either, since it may get wiped out after a software update. Taring up your hacks and saving them off the tivo is always a good idea.

I'm still trying to figure out the best solution to this issue. I'd welcome hearing other ideas.

I too would be interested in hearing other peoples ideal. I guess I never really gave it much thought until now.

Jamie, Thanks for explianing this issue.

I keep most stuff in /devbin (IIRC, this was already in the PATH, which meant one less step), except for really large projects -- currently only TivoWeb[Plus] -- which I keep in their own directories under /opt (old Unixism).

I keep everything in /var/hack and a copy (of hacks, kernel, and .author file) on a different unix box. Rebuilding is trivial.

M