Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Code for Clear Guide, Wish List, Season Pass

Code for Clear Guide, Wish List, Season Pass

Could someone please tell me what the MFS command is that initiates TiVo's Clear Program Data, Guide, Wish List, Season Pass, etc., but doesn't wipe the recordings? Is it mfs_assert -please?

I had the same problem I had a couple months ago with the TiVo rebooting every four minutes and I'd like to write a script that monitors the number of reboots and if six occur within in hour, then kick in the clear data command. Then I'll initiate a daily phone call from software and, hopefully, the problem will be fixed before I even notice it, as it usually starts in the middle of the night.

Anyway, I'd appreciate the magic incantation.
    David R. Hill............... TivoWeb Hack Manager
    Chebeague Island........From the land of champions:
    Casco Bay..................The Boston Red Sox
    Maine........................The New England Patriots
    58.5 gig HDR-112 since October, 2000
    240 gig, 306 hours since January, 2004 (same machine)
    120 gig DSR6000 DirecTiVo

"There are 10 kinds of people -- those who count in binary and those who don't."

There are 3 levels of ZAP.
    Clear and Delete Everything (recordings as well) value is 1.
    Program information and To Do value is 2.
    Thumbs and Suggestions value is 3.

The MFS Object is:
    /State/Database
    The values is:
    ZapRequest

It does require a reboot to do it's work.

I've attached a tcl script which does all of the work with the exception of the reboot.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -- Dennis

100 Hr Series 2 (development) Lifetime
    120 Hr Series 2 DTiVo (mine) Zipper-ed
    120 Hr Series 2 DTiVo (wife's) Zipper-ed
    120 Hr Series 2 DVD-RW (wife's) unhacked

GREATLY appreciated! Watch for the next release of Hackman in a week or two. I'll certainly give you credit.

"There are 10 kinds of people -- those who count in binary and those who don't."

mfsassert -please triggers a GSOD.

If you're getting losts of reboots though, wouldn't it be better to find the cause and cure it? What you're doing is the equaivent of writing a script to re-install Windows when there's a problem!

Remember it can take many hours post a clear and delete for the programme data to be indexed, so you will miss recordings.

You might want to look at mfs_ftp and memory issues as a start point - 4 mins in is about when the mfs_ftp cache is being built, and if you have too many NP entries and not enough memory it can can do and assertion failiure reboot.
    Last edited by sanderton; 10-01-2004 at 06:14 AM.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

This is a tough one to diagnose. It has happened to me only twice ever. The first time I thought it was an anomoly, but I wasn't the only one to see the 4-minute reboot starting at 2:00 am after a service download. I thought it was a one-off event.

But it happened to me again last week. At least I wasn't so dumb as to buy yet another pair of drives and a power supply!

I don't start mfs_ftp on boot and I haven't used it in quite a while, so unless it's doing something I don't know about, I don't think that's it. And in the process of developing software, I'm rebooting frequently, using soft boots rather than recycling, and I've never seen it happen at those times.

So, I agree, if this were a chronic problem, I'd be seeking to cure the disease rather than just the symptoms. But if it truly does happen just once a month, I'd prefer to have the hours of clearing, deleting and guide rebuilding done immediately while I'm sleeping. What the hey, I'll be missing any recordings anyway as the box reboots...reboots...reboots. Fifteen four minute chunks with intermittent content missing just doesn't cut it!

Quote Originally Posted by PortlandPaw
    This is a tough one to diagnose. It has happened to me only twice ever. The first time I thought it was an anomoly, but I wasn't the only one to see the 4-minute reboot starting at 2:00 am after a service download. I thought it was a one-off event.
    That happened to me to, and if I recall correctly it was due to an "orphaned" season pass. Find the pass, and delete it.

Absolutely right, Zirak...could be that or a host of other ailments. I hope that my approach will atone for a multitude of sins.
    Last edited by PortlandPaw; 10-05-2004 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by n4zmz
    There are 3 levels of ZAP.
    Clear and Delete Everything (recordings as well) value is 1.
    Program information and To Do value is 2.
    Thumbs and Suggestions value is 3.

The MFS Object is:
    /State/Database
    The values is:
    ZapRequest

It does require a reboot to do it's work.

I've attached a tcl script which does all of the work with the exception of the reboot.
    Does zap level 2 imply zap level 1 is completed as well?

IE can you delete program information and keep thumbs?

Quote Originally Posted by ertyu
    Does zap level 2 imply zap level 1 is completed as well?

IE can you delete program information and keep thumbs?
    Level 1 is Clear and Delete Everything.
    Level 2 is Program Information and Thumbs.
    Level 3 is Thumbs only.

Program information includes Actors, Directors, etc along with the series records and program records. Since the thumbs are tied to the series/programs/actors/etc, it would leave the database in an inconsistant state if it was also not cleared.
    -- Dennis

BEWARE

This script is set up to default level 1. Adjust accordingly before using.

BTW, I volunteer to rewrite and "***** proffed" version with menus and "are you sure" messages if you're willing to replace the attachment.
    perl -e 'print unpack("u","\@2\&\%V92\!Y;W4\@:&\%C:V5D(\%E/55\(\@5\&EV\;R\!T;V1A>3\\-\`"),"\n";'

Quote Originally Posted by cojonesdetoro
    BEWARE

This script is set up to default level 1. Adjust accordingly before using.

BTW, I volunteer to rewrite and "***** proffed" version with menus and "are you sure" messages if you're willing to replace the attachment.
    I'll replace the attachment if I ever get a better version.
    -- Dennis

this one is safer

It prompts and shows usage but does the same thing. Less likleyhood of a mistake.

BTW: does setting the zap elvel to 0 undo the zap? Could it be used as a way to recover from a mistake before rebooting?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    perl -e 'print unpack("u","\@2\&\%V92\!Y;W4\@:&\%C:V5D(\%E/55\(\@5\&EV\;R\!T;V1A>3\\-\`"),"\n";'

I had the problem where the script was running for over a day. If you move the harddrive into a PC and modify rc.sysinit you can prevent the clean up from running. You can then telnet into the box, modifying the script by passing hard coding a 0 in and it will cancel the job. (you will then need to copy back the original rc.sysint and reboot)

Thanks worked very well on a dtivo at 3.5

I have not been able to succsffully use the clear and delete menu options in tivo since I upgraded to 315. Every time I try it just sits there "working" and I have never been able to make it complete.

It just never finished.

If I restart it, it goes right back into the clear and delete. My only fix has to be restore a back up.

So, if I understand this, I can let it set for a few hours, pull the drive and modify the rc.sysinit file on my PC. Then put it back into my tivo and fix it with telnet.

Dose this actually clear and delete everything at it should?