Thread: Which drivers for Linksys USB200M?

Which drivers for Linksys USB200M?

I'm in the process of hacking an SD-DVR40. Successfully used killhdinitrd on a 3.1.1c kernal (running 3.1.1d software), created all appropriate directories, etc. But cannot get the drivers to activate my USB200M.

I've seen a number of different driver sets (including the "rollback" one) but they all seem to imply that they're for use with 4.0, which I can't do since it's an RID box.

I can't find "native" (i.e.: shipped with the SD-DVR40) versions of ax8817.o or ehci-hcd.o in /lib/modules. None of the ones I've found on here seems to work. Any ideas where I can find what I need and/or what I'm doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by pab
    I'm in the process of hacking an SD-DVR40. Successfully used killhdinitrd on a 3.1.1c kernal (running 3.1.1d software), created all appropriate directories, etc. But cannot get the drivers to activate my USB200M.

I've seen a number of different driver sets (including the "rollback" one) but they all seem to imply that they're for use with 4.0, which I can't do since it's an RID box.

I can't find "native" (i.e.: shipped with the SD-DVR40) versions of ax8817.o or ehci-hcd.o in /lib/modules. None of the ones I've found on here seems to work. Any ideas where I can find what I need and/or what I'm doing wrong?
    I believe the latest version (20041007) posted by ADH in this thread support kernel 2.4.4 and TiVo software 3.1.1x. The description is in post#12; the files are an attachment to post #4.

These might still be considered experimental (isn't every hack?), but they seem to be working for the people that have tried them AFAIK.

You can also see this thread for prior 2.4.4 usb2 modules.

Thanks, but it looks like the drivers are the least of my worries. It looks like the system isn't even running my rc.sysinit.author. I know I chmod'ded it, so that's not the problem.

Guess it's back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by pab
    Thanks, but it looks like the drivers are the least of my worries. It looks like the system isn't even running my rc.sysinit.author. I know I chmod'ded it, so that's not the problem.

Guess it's back to the drawing board.
    A common error is to run things in the forground that don't daemonize (e.g. tnlited or bash). This will block your rc.sysinit.author script until they complete. An apersand (&) on the end of the line will put them in background so they run in parallel with the rest of the script.

Another common problem I've heard about but not experienced myself is that the file has DOS style line termination (CRLF), instead of linux newlines. That can happen if you use a windows editor to edit the files.

I'd first get a serial console setup, then sprinkle "echo" breadcrumbs inside of your rc.sysinit.author so you can see how far it gets. Alternatively, "set -x" as the first command in the file after the #! line should echo each command as it executes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    Another common problem I've heard about but not experienced myself is that the file has DOS style line termination (CRLF), instead of linux newlines. That can happen if you use a windows editor to edit the files.
    I'm booting with PTVUpgrade's universal boot cd in noswap mode, and using pico to do my edits. I know not to let a Windoze program near a Linux text file.

I'd first get a serial console setup, then sprinkle "echo" breadcrumbs inside of your rc.sysinit.author so you can see how far it gets. Alternatively, "set -x" as the first command in the file after the #! line should echo each command as it executes.
    I don't have a serial cable, so the console setup is out for now. I tried adding a touch command to the script to see if it was actually running. The file I wanted it to create never showed, leading me to believe that it's not running the author script for some reason. I'm getting seriously stumped here.