Thread: Guide data corrupt?

Guide data corrupt?

How do I figure out if my guide data are corrupted? I have a problem w/ one of my dtivos and I just dropped in a bigger drive. I did the same thing I did to hack my other one last weekend and that one is purring like a kitten.

This one, after I did 711 call to get my locals, I installed the usb backport drivers and rebooted. It got stuck at 70% on the satellite screen so I booted again and it came up.

However, the guide data seemed corrupt - searching for programs to record that appeared in the on-screen guide few results (about 10% hit rate). So, I did a bit of reading and came across 2 possibilities - bad drive (not likely, but possible) or corrupt MFS. I found a couple of posts that says to do a Clear Guide Program Data and To-Do List (or something like that - the one above Clear & Delete).

After that clear finished, the on-screen guide is building info, but I now the search for programs got worse - it's completely empty (I checked every letter and number).

Does it take a long time (longer than after a clear & delete on a freshly-hacked box) for the search for programs area to populate? Shouldn't it be populating as the on-screen guide populates?

I looked through some log files, but since I don't know what I should be looking for that's not terribly helpful. Any pointers there?

I'll leave it running overnight, but something needs to happens soon as I've got programs to be recorded tomorrow (Sunday).

Background:

S2 DTivo RID on 4.01b (see sig). I've been running for nearly 3 years now and decided to add bigger hard drives. I hacked with 4.01b as it's something I know and will later upgrade via slices to 6.2. I did the same thing as the first time I hacked them - pretty much following dellanave's guide (Huge's the first time) with some tweaks (e.g., putting the exports into rc.sysinit so that bash console would run right to avoid fsallocate errors). I did this since everything was working perfectly for nearly 3 years.

And before anyone says it, yes guides suck but I actually understand what the commands are and what they're doing. I use this particular guide as more of a checklist. That being said, I'm quite the *nix novice. It's like understanding a language but not being able to speak it - I can figure out what I'm reading but don't really know how to start without a push in the right direction.
    Last edited by kadiir; 09-09-2007 at 02:47 AM.
    1 RCA DVR80 (RID + 6.2a on 500GB)
    1 Samsung SIR-4080R (RID + 6.2a on 500GB)

Let it sit at least overnight. Even though guide info starts to populate instantly, it takes longer for that info to be indexed.

A tip to keep everyone (especially the wife/gf) happy, go ahead and setup season passes as soon as you are able to (as soon as it shows up in the guide), but also select the individual programs to record for the next two days. You can select a program in the guide, choose to set a season pass, but if the info hasn't been indexed yet it won't record. If you select to record just that one individual program, it records just fine.

Sorry for the delay....

Yeah, that's what I started doing - manually recording out of the on-screen guide. Good tip!

So, overnight the search started populating. I'm guessing that the "service call" is what kicks it off because at around 1am nothing but checking again at around 7am and it was already populated out a week.

Well, apparently it was only temporary. I have about 25 Season Passes with 12 new shows premiering this week. Only one of them is showing in the "pick a program to record" for this week. The rest have shows next week. It's like this week's data is being deleted early as I when I setup the SPs after I my earlier post the shows had the right dates.

What are my options here? I'm reluctant to do the Clear Guide Program Data and To-Do List again as I feel like it will just have the same problem again in two weeks. I think I'll just pull the drive and start over.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Gosh, I wish it had just failed at the outset. I've got about 130 shows on it that I have to copy again

Oh, I forgot to mention that in the To Do list history, the shows that didn't record stated the reason as being that the recording options were changed, which isn't true.

So, I hacked it again and the guide data started getting squirrely again last week. So, I did the "Clear Guide Program Data and To-Do List" again.

Now, the one that has been fine since I hacked it about 6 weeks ago is acting up. It's now recording new shows for some SPs and it also has the guide data problem the one above has had - things just disappear from the "pick programs to record" guide but the on-screen guide still shows everything.

I don't know why this keeps happening - can anyone point me in the right direction?

After doing some more reading I came across some posts regarding the pending restart issue (although I don't see that message).

I have noticed what appears to be my Tivos rebooting, but it's hard to say because the little Tivo animation comes up & the LiveTV brings up the guide, but then the menus remember their last used positions.

Anyway, so I thought it might be the pending update issue, so I ran echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh and on both Tivos it looks like this:

Directory of /SwSystem starting at ''

Name Type FsId Date Time Size
    ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
    4.0.1b-02-2-240 tyDb 883425 06/12/04 06:06 796
    ACTIVE tyDb 883425 06/12/04 06:06 796

Should I just do a upgrade (via slices) to 6.2?

I'm not sure if that will solve the problem, but yes, 4.0.1 is hopelessly outdated. The advantages of 6.2a far outweigh the hassle of updating.

IIRC, links to a package containing the 6.2 slices AND the required loopsets are in the 'Upgrading to 6.2' thread. Or look for 62_dtivo_slices.zip on the eD2k network.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Thanks PlainBill - I've been planning to do the upgrade but I'm still reading up on how to do it (I've got the concepts but am still working out the details).

I did notice a change in behavior tonight. With the initial hacking of the boxes after a 'fresh' 4.01b image install, I had to run an older fakecall.tcl since the one in the latest tivotools doesn't work before the guided setup has finished (crashes the box). I have my cron job set to run the newer version.

I had noticed that while the problem has been happening that the call status info shows failed despite the fakecall.tcl supposedly being run by the cron job. For giggles & grins, I manually ran the newer version a night or two ago and I just noticed tonight that on my box that's been fine this whole time but started 'losing' shows, those same SP shows that were missing in the To Do list have now appeared. (which is what prompted me to manually run it). This is true for both tivos.

Another thing I noticed about fakecall is that the call status shows that it will try again within 24 hours if it was run by the cron job or at startup, but if I manually run it, the re-try date is exactly a week out.

I'll still upgrade, but I'd really like to fix this issue before I do so I don't have any "baggage" left.

Edit 1: Hmmm, I have this vague recollection that on my old 160GB drives (my 'original' hacked drives) I might have been running the old fakecall.tcl. Could my problem be that the newer fakecall.tcl is 'causing' my problem by not setting the call status correctly?

Edit 2: It also occurs to me that the 2nd tivo started having issues right at 4 weeks after the initial hack and over the following 2 weeks went from bad to worse (this is the end of week 6).
    Last edited by kadiir; 10-20-2007 at 11:40 AM.

Just to close this one out - it was caused by running fakecall every day. I now run fakecall40 & reboot once a week and it's all good.

Now, if only I could get my 6.2 upgrade working....(post for another thread ).