Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hacking your Series 2 in 2004

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    I have a Hughes DVR40 that I plan on upgrading to 120. Do I need to be concerned about RID? Is this a RID unit? I need first to get network access with my Linksys 200M USB/Ethernet adapter so that I can FTP to the unit.

I tried the instant cake stuff but I get decompression errors using it.

I have no problem starting from scratch. Could someone fill me in with an simple where to start run-down similar to the first post in this thread....

I'm still a little confused. Thanks for any help.
    Yeah, thats a RID unit. You can verify for sure by looking on the back tag for an RID number
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

What to do?

Great first post!

I've been out of the loop for some time. I installed the sleeper.iso on both my tivos early in the year when I stumbled across this forum (I thank my lucky stars )and have had no reason to change. Everything has worked fine for me so far. I guess I have some catching up to do on some posts and methods. hmmmm.... Should I change in the near future, if all is working well so far????? Any suggestions! All I care about is burning my shows to dvds, as I do already with the mfs_ftp. Is there a need for me to unsleeper it and apply "Killhdinitrd" ??

Thanks
    Last edited by hart316; 12-17-2004 at 02:02 AM.

This has been answered more times than I can count, but there are a few simple reasons why Sleeper is deprecated, and if you've already sleeper'd your drive then you should switch:

1) Sleeper's monte system is broken, and cannot be backed up via normal tools. (A properly killhdinitrd system, even a monte'd one, can be backed up quite easily)
    2) Sleeper's ISO installed deprecated versions of numerous hacks (killhdinitrd doesn't install any hacks, it leaves it up to you)
    3) Sleeper's ISO doesn't give you any real information on what its doing, and you don't learn anything doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by hart316
    Great first post!

I've been out of the loop for some time. I installed the sleeper.iso on both my tivos early in the year when I stumbled across this forum (I thank my lucky stars )and have had no reason to change. Everything has worked fine for me so far. I guess I have some catching up to do on some posts and methods. hmmmm.... Should I change in the near future, if all is working well so far????? Any suggestions! All I care about is burning my shows to dvds, as I do already with the mfs_ftp. Is there a need for me to unsleeper it and apply "Killhdinitrd" ??

Thanks
    I strongly urge everyone to replace the two partition monte installed by TiVoScripts with killhdinitrd. It only takes a few minutes, you don't have to pull the hard drive, and you wind up with a system that boots slightly faster and is easier to maintain. http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showpo...62&postcount=3

Most of the hacks installed by TiVoScripts have been replaced with newer ones. Faster usb drivers are available in Jaime's backport thread. A better version of the ftp daemon is available. The NoCSO unscramble hack is superior to the kmem hack, etc.

In most cases, you can update these one at a time, learning as you go.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Samsung S2 RID no bash ?

I have a Samsung S2 RID unit with no bash prompt via serial. It's completely unhacked and I have a Netgear FA120 that I will be using for network support. Can someone tell me how I can get bash to start hacking this unit?

I have a Samsung S2 RID unit with no bash prompt via serial. It's completely unhacked and I have a Netgear FA120 that I will be using for network support. Can someone tell me how I can get bash to start hacking this unit?
    Are you kidding?!?!?!

Doesn't your sig say:
    I have a new Samsung (S4120R) that I will hack completely. I will be writing everything I do up in an Easy Hacking Guide for that unit once I am done similar to what I did with the T60 'unleashed' for those of you that remember. If you can assist me in this process, I am gratefull for your help.
    Did you write this without even knowing the first step in the process!?!?

Um...

Start reading here

Quote Originally Posted by JJBliss
    Are you kidding?!?!?!

Doesn't your sig say:

Did you write this without even knowing the first step in the process!?!?

Um...

Start reading here
    LOL yep, i'm not kidding. I used to know but I did it all pretty quickly and wrote it up. The only thing I did over time is modify the documentation to make things more clear. I have forgotten some but not all. Getting bash was the first thing I ever did to a TiVo and I don't remember what steps I took to get that done. I wrote the guide, and forgot about it. Me memory ain't what it used to be I guess.

If I simply want to get bash via serial, nothing else. What do I do? The rest I can figure out.
    Last edited by snoopy; 12-28-2004 at 05:23 PM.

first two steps completed

I get a bash prompt via serial now and have included the doc on how i got this far. It is carefully written and easy to follow. Now from Telnet, I get a bash prompt (v2.02) but when I type ls, nothing shows up. Can someone point me in the right direction from here?

I get a bash prompt via serial now and have included the doc on how i got this far. It is carefully written and easy to follow. Now from Telnet, I get a bash prompt (v2.02) but when I type ls, nothing shows up. Can someone point me in the right direction from here?
    1 - not having basic commands has been discussed over and over. It's not new to this series or software version. If you want basic utilities, you have to install them.

2 - Are you really getting a bash prompt via telnet? Did you install/configure nic drivers? Do you mean you have a bash prompt through the serial console?

3 - For pete's sake, the last thing this board needs is another hacking guide. If you look in the Newbie forum stickies, there are already more than enough guides to cover each and every piece of hardware and software possible. Creating a guide from steps you performed adds no value when you don't give any more detailed info than existing guides. You just create one more document to get outdated, or for a newbie to try and say "I followed this person's guide" and then everyone has to pick through it to figure out if it's even correct.

If you want to add value, expand on the existing guides. Add detailed explainations to each command that newbies follow like robots but don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by fixn278
    Are you really getting a bash prompt via telnet? Did you install/configure nic drivers? Do you mean you have a bash prompt through the serial console?
    right, I am getting a bash prompt via serial.

Question for Snoopy

I read your how to, and have a question. I've got a fresh s2 that I wanna hack. First thing I was gonna do is pull for virgin drive, use mfstools to copy it to a new 120GB drive, reinstall it, activate it, let it update, then run killintrid on it.

Can you explain why you have to replace the kernel? Thanks
    HR10-250 (50 Hours HD)
    SAT-T60 (105 Hours), Turbonet

Quote Originally Posted by A.C.
    I read your how to, and have a question. I've got a fresh s2 that I wanna hack. First thing I was gonna do is pull for virgin drive, use mfstools to copy it to a new 120GB drive, reinstall it, activate it, let it update, then run killintrid on it.

Can you explain why you have to replace the kernel? Thanks
    Ya know what... that's a good question. To the best of my knowledge, replacing the kernel with a kernel that supports LBA48, and has killinitrd already run on it, then the sooftware willl 1) recognize a larger drive (LBA48), and 2) be unsuceptable to RID (killinitrd). RID stands for "reciever identification" and to the best of my knowlege acts as sort of protection so that "certain important files" such as the rc.sysinit cannot be changed. If they are changed, RID takes over and either causes the changes not to be recognized and reverts the TiVo back to it's original condition, OR renders it innacessible. I'm not sure which? I'm also not sure exactly which files RID protects? I'm also not sure if RID is to prevent hacking or for everyones benefit? My thinking is that RID is to prevent hacking. If we modify the kernel with a kernel that has LBA support and killinitrd, then we do not have to worry about RID taking over somehow. The problem is that once you do either simply "replace the kernal" or run sysinitrd on the kernel yourself, you loose the ability to update but you add the ability to hack more freely. I would like to have a greater understanding of just what RID does, which files it checks, and when it checks those files (just once, each time the TiVo boots, or once each time the file is changed, or whatever), etc etc. From what I have read, I laid out my best understanding. I hope that helps.

"RID" is a mechanism that transmits video control words over a secure channel so that you can't sniff them. On the DTiVo platform, it involves the use of a new IC on the mainboard (AV chip), kernel driver support, and new features in user code.

Well I guess it's worth a try. What's the latest software out there for S2 DTivos? I'm still using a s1.
    HR10-250 (50 Hours HD)
    SAT-T60 (105 Hours), Turbonet

Quote Originally Posted by A.C.
    Well I guess it's worth a try. What's the latest software out there for S2 DTivos? I'm still using a s1.
    I think some people have gotten the 7.1 download. I have not.