Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hacking your Series 2 in 2004

question:
    Quote Originally Posted by A.C.
    Well I guess it's worth a try. What's the latest software out there for S2 DTivos?
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    I think some people have gotten the 7.1 download. I have not.
    answer? not so much

if you don't know what the heck you're talking about please PLEASE don't confuse others by trying to pretend you have a clue

7.x does not currently work at all on dtivos

4.x is possible on series 2 dtivos. 4.0.1b is older than 3.1.1e though so the latest sw for series 2 dtivos is 3.1.1e

4.0.1b is probably the most desirable because it has folders and HMO/MRV

series 2.5 dtivos like the r10 run a newer version (6.x I think) but they're currently not very hackable without a prom mod and don't offer HMO/MRV

Quote Originally Posted by A.C.
    I read your how to, and have a question. I've got a fresh s2 that I wanna hack. First thing I was gonna do is pull for virgin drive, use mfstools to copy it to a new 120GB drive, reinstall it, activate it, let it update, then run killintrid on it.

Can you explain why you have to replace the kernel? Thanks

RC3105, That being said, is that I said feasable?

BTW let me personally thank you for mfs_ftp. I've got 3 kids 5 and under, and the ability to backup and restore shows when I rebuild has saved a lot of crying eyes.
    HR10-250 (50 Hours HD)
    SAT-T60 (105 Hours), Turbonet

sure, couple of details to note

when you backup the virgin drive be sure to get all the backgrounds by using the command

mfstool backup -asv9o backup.mfs /dev/hdc

-a Backup all streams - grabs all backgrounds
    -s Shrink MFS in backup - unnecesary but a good habit
    -v Do not include /var in backup - no need to waste space duplicating var
    -1 .. -9 Compress backup, quick (-1) through best (-9)
    -o file Output to file, - for stdout

after the update it'll be at 3.1.1e or later. you need a 3.1.1c kernel to use killhdinitrd with 3.x sw. both are avail in the killhdinitrd thread or you can get a premodded 3.1.1c kernel in a PTV upgrade lba48 cd

get the All-In-One S2 utilities collection Alphawolf posted

once you have killhdinitrd and the busybox utils installed you need to create /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author and use it to define environment variables and load bash + utils at startup. take a look at the init_framework I posted in the 4.x+RID release thread for an example starting point and some ideas

-----

Quote Originally Posted by killhdinitrd release thread
    Please donate to the EFF if you find this program useful. Suggested donation: $25. Paypal is also accepted: send to accounting@eff.org. If you wish, you may paste a link to this post in the "reasons" box so they are aware of our interests (fair use of legitimately purchased copyrighted materials).
    please be sure to make a donation to the EFF if you get killhdinitrd from the release thread instead of a PTV upgrade lba48 cd

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    sure, couple of details to note

when you backup the virgin drive be sure to get all the backgrounds by using the command

mfstool backup -asv9o backup.mfs /dev/hdc

-a Backup all streams - grabs all backgrounds
    -s Shrink MFS in backup - unnecesary but a good habit
    -v Do not include /var in backup - no need to waste space duplicating var
    -1 .. -9 Compress backup, quick (-1) through best (-9)
    -o file Output to file, - for stdout

after the update it'll be at 3.1.1e or later. you need a 3.1.1c kernel to use killhdinitrd with 3.x sw. both are avail in the killhdinitrd thread or you can get a premodded 3.1.1c kernel in a PTV upgrade lba48 cd

get the All-In-One S2 utilities collection Alphawolf posted

once you have killhdinitrd and the busybox utils installed you need to create /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author and use it to define environment variables and load bash + utils at startup. take a look at the init_framework I posted in the 4.x+RID release thread for an example starting point and some ideas

-----

please be sure to make a donation to the EFF if you get killhdinitrd from the release thread instead of a PTV upgrade lba48 cd
    Thanks. I plan to buy a new 120 GB drive and just use mfsbackup | mfsrestore, so I won't be backing up the virgin drive. One question though. I still don't understand why I need to use the 3.1.1c kernel?? My quick guess is that killintrid doesn't work on 3.1.1e. Would you mind expanding a little?
    HR10-250 (50 Hours HD)
    SAT-T60 (105 Hours), Turbonet

there aren't any functional differences between the 3.1.1 c/d/e kernels so a 3.1.1e root+tivoapp works with a killhdinitrd'd 3.1.1c kernel

killhdinitrd only supports a few specific kernels (3.1u5-2.4.4, 3.1.1c-2.4.4, 4.0.1a-2.4.18, 3.1.5-2.4.20) because 3.1.1c will boot any series 2 and allows for monte into a custom kernel. there's no need for constant updates

4.0.1a and 3.1.5 support saves a monte step during boot (a few seconds)

3.1u5 support is mostly there for a laugh

Wow....

Great thread. I used Sleeper over a year ago on two DTivos (HDVR2 and SD-DVR40 both with 120GB drives) and haven't had any problems and haven't checked back here much. Using TivoWebPlus, MFS_FTP and I see I've got alot of catchup to do.

I have all my original drives packaged up...just have to find them now.

Both units are RID units and are running 3.1.1b.

Question, should I load the original drives and let them upgrade to 3.1.1c? Can I use any 4.X on these units?

Thanks!

You'll definately want to upgrade beyond 3.1.1b. That version had significan sound and close caption problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jonbig
    You'll definately want to upgrade beyond 3.1.1b. That version had significan sound and close caption problems.
    If I throw the original drives back in I'm guessing the upgrade(s) will take place over a few nights, is this correct? Do I want to stop at 3.1.1c or should I allow the units to keep upgrading to 3.1.1e or beyond?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolffpack
    If I throw the original drives back in I'm guessing the upgrade(s) will take place over a few nights, is this correct? Do I want to stop at 3.1.1c or should I allow the units to keep upgrading to 3.1.1e or beyond?
    That is incorrect. Each set of slices is the complete software package. TiVo will upgrade you to 3.1.1e or possibly 6.2 on the first call.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Hacking my Samsung SIR4040

I'm new on this forum I've had directv w/tivo 4 about a year and have been wanting to do all the upgrades. (Bigger hard drive, enable networking so I can transfer to my PC). Do I need the turbonet card or can I do this through my USB on the back. Installin the drive isn't a big deal but where can I get a larger formatted drive, or can I do this my self? I guess what I need is step my step process on how to do this. I'm not a hacker by any means so should I be trying to do this my self or find someone who can do it for me?
    Like I said I'm new to this forum so any and all help is greatlly appreciated, Thanks ahead of time!

Jeremy
    ramirezjeremy@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by resto250r
    Do I need the turbonet card or can I do this through my USB on the back.
    No Turbonet is required. You'll need to hack your tivo. USB will work after you hack and install the drivers/setup for it.

Installing the drive isn't a big deal but where can I get a larger formatted drive, or can I do this my self?
    You can buy a prebuilt drive. No, I won't say where because I'm against them. Anyway, if you go that route you'll need to start hanging/asking all your questions to the sellers (who hang out here to figure out how to answer you.)

You can do it yourself!

I guess what I need is step by step process on how to do this.
    Those (guides, or step-by-steps, or how-to's) are NOT supported here.

I'm not a hacker by any means...
    SO! Turn into one.

So should I be trying to do this my self or find someone who can do it for me?
    If you want to 'try to do this yourself', you're definitely in the right place.
    If you want to 'find someone who can[will] do it for you', you're definitely in the wrong place.

Now that your questions have been addressed...
    There's a whole forum for you to get started. You should be able to hack your tivo just fine, you'll just need to learn a little.

Start Here. Pay particular attention to the 'guide's suck', and why, part.

Read all the stickies in the 'Newbie Forum'. That's why they're 'stickied'.

Welcome to the forum. You'll receive a lot of help if you post in the Newbie Forum until you get your feet wet, and show that you're trying and not being lazy.

This is a great thread. You'll learn a lot by reading its links. Although, you should probably read these two threads for current info on 6.2 and DirecTivos.

Upgrading to 6.2, collected info and tips - NO SUPPORT QUESTIONS.

and

DirecTV Tivo Software Update 6.2 - SUPPORT and DISCUSSION

There. That should get you started.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Please sell me a hacked TiVo. Let me explain please.

Can anyone sell me a hacked TiVo?

Now before you flame me or ban me or hack me, let me explain:

I was inspired by the post from Jeff Langston. I love Linux, I build a whole product around Linux (readynote) , I would love to put in his hacks, but I dont have the time to do the hacking.

I just want my series 2 TiVo to get the full 40hours of recording, not the puny 1/2 hr it now gets. Thats it, just for OTA use...

If you would please sell me one, I would be eternally greatful.

-jim pruett

Quote Originally Posted by carterson2 View Post
    I just want my series 2 TiVo to get the full 40hours of recording, not the puny 1/2 hr it now gets.
    Huh? Why do you only half 1/2 hr capacity now? What does this have to do with hacking your tivo?

Quote Originally Posted by carterson2 View Post
    I just want my series 2 TiVo to get the full 40hours of recording, not the puny 1/2 hr it now gets. Thats it, just for OTA use...
    If you mean it's unsubbed and you only get the 30 minute live buffer...you won't find help here. We don't discuss theft of service.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

How can you save a file without any extentions?