Thread: Playing MP3 off S2 DTivo

Playing MP3 off S2 DTivo

I have a SD-DVR40 DTivo hacked with Sleeper (althought I am considering doing it again with killhdinitrd - Sleeper was easy, but I would like to know what is going on ).
    Anyway, since the unit is currently connected to my audio system I would like to be able to play MP3 using the optical or the RCA output.

1. By reading this forum I got the impression that GUI modifications are rather hard to do. Is there a command line player I could use?
    2. Is it possible to output to the optical instead of the RCA? What are the device names?
    3. Will the CPU be able to handle the decoding?
    4. Another possibility is to convert the MP3 to AC3 (there is a HW decoder for AC3) and ftp them in /var (is this where the media files are stored?). If I do that - will I see them under "Now playing" list?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bozata
    althought I am considering doing it again with killhdinitrd - Sleeper was easy, but I would like to know what is going on
    Gee the TivoScripts tells you at each and every step of the way exactly what it is doing and the commands it is executing, what was it you did not understand?

The rc3105 script may do that also but many will not use due to the developers attitudes.

As far as mp3 playing Ill tell you I would still use someting other than a tivo even with 4.X, its just not high enough quality, dvd/cd players that will play mp3's are under $30 and media is practicaly free.....
    Ma l'italiano Ť benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry
    Its not what you want it's what the electorate wants.

Quote Originally Posted by tytyty
    As far as mp3 playing Ill tell you I would still use someting other than a tivo even with 4.X, its just not high enough quality, dvd/cd players that will play mp3's are under $30 and media is practicaly free.....
    I have an MP3 CD changer and an MP3 player, but when we start talking about Gb's of files..... Actually, I could mount an NFS share and play them from there as well. The whole idea is to use the existing audio connection between the DTivo and the sound system.
    Why do you think the sound quality will be bad?

HMO enabled software versions do it natively within the tivo UI *shrug*
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    HMO enabled software versions do it natively within the tivo UI *shrug*
    Correct me if I am wrong, but my impression was that HMO was not available for SD-DVR40.

Quote Originally Posted by bozata
    Correct me if I am wrong, but my impression was that HMO was not available for SD-DVR40.
    I think AlphaWolf maybe pointing us at something new or just missed the unit type.

Interesting comment if its the former.....
    Ma l'italiano Ť benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry
    Its not what you want it's what the electorate wants.

I think AlphaWolf maybe pointing us at something new or just missed the unit type.

He commented one thread that he was running 5.2
    software on ht DVR40... does 5.2 support HMO?

jack

Mostly the later.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

madplay2

It is working! There is an mp3 player, called madplay2, which has been ported to the Tivo linux. It is command line based and it works fairly well. No problem with the performance at all.
    One issue I noticed was the poor separation between the RCA /PCM and the optical output. I couldn't use the AC3 output (already taken for the "regular" Tivo functionality) so I hooked up one of the RCA outputs. For some reason I can hear the sound from the video stream the Tivo is currently playing in the background of the PCM stream!
    Any suggestions (beside stopping the video stream when I am listening to MP3s )?