Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hacking my Tivo

Hacking my Tivo

I have a Series 2 Tivo and am ready to hack it. My computer's hard drive is formatted NTFS, and its supposed to be Fat32, so I took and old computer laying around and installed XP on it, telling it when formatting to use the FAT file system. So I assume that will be all fine. I also ready somewhere, to have the Fat32 hard drive as primary master, and a CD drive primary slave. I have done this. I downloaded Sleeper's CD and plan to run it tomorrow. From what I here, I just put the Tivo hard drive as my secondary master and boot from Sleeper's CD, then follow the on-screen instructions. I plan to back up my Tivo drive, which I understand I can do from the CD. What else do I need to know? I want to be fully prepared, so that I don't mess anything up. I really appreciate this community for its dedication to these forums, it makes it very easy to find what I need. Thanks.

BTW... It says that Sleeper was banned. Does anyone know how that happened and if he is still here under a different name>
    Last edited by vince; 10-19-2004 at 01:37 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by vince
    BTW... I say that Sleeper was banned. Does anyone know how that happened and if he is still here under a different name>
    what happened is public knowledge - he was banned for threatening moderators and other related things. you are not allowed to have multiple accounts on this board. if he is posting under another name (thus bypassing the ban), he will be banned immediately. he brought the ban upon himself, nuf said
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Can somebody reply

I really need some help here. Can somebody please reply?

I really need some help here. Can somebody please reply?
    What help are you asking for? You said you read the instructions for Tivoscripts and are prepared to run it.

Quote Originally Posted by fixn278
    What help are you asking for? You said you read the instructions for Tivoscripts and are prepared to run it.
    Looks like a troll smells like a troll....

Text instructions are all over Tivoscripts during execution along with abilty to bail out at anytime, your continual reference to Sleeper as its developer and questions about his removal from board (won't comment) make this post look suspect.

If I am incorrect I apoligise, if not please refrain from this type of post.

MrBlack51 I saw it all, was pretty nasty and somewhat convoluted.....

Choose your poison knowledge or blind faith.
    Ma l'italiano benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry
    Its not what you want it's what the electorate wants.

What?!

Looks like a troll smells like a troll....

Are you calling me a troll? I am not a troll. This board is for asking questions. Isn't it? I AM in the Newbie Forum.

Text instructions are all over Tivoscripts during execution along with abilty to bail out at anytime, your continual reference to Sleeper as its developer and questions about his removal from board (won't comment) make this post look suspect.

I was justing for help because I don't want to screw up my Tivo. I am not a geek like most of you guys so I don't know much about this. And how is referring to Sleeper as its developer suspicous? Suspicous of what? He made it! I was just wondering why he was removed. I was hoping he was here so I could get support from him. Do you have anything better to do than make wierd posts accusing people of being trolls. Where in the rules soes it say that I cannot ask about Sleeper. I just joined this forum around a week ago. And what does this post look suspicous of???

If I am incorrect I apoligise, if not please refrain from this type of post.

Refrain from what kind of post? Asking newbie questions in the newbie forum? You guys talk about Sleeper as if he was some sort of criminal. Yeah, please apoligize. And don't personally attack me again, I will be complaining about you.

MrBlack51 I saw it all, was pretty nasty and somewhat convoluted.....

Choose your poison knowledge or blind faith.

So what is your question?

vince, sleeper is a bit of a sore point here. to some he's a mistreated martyr, to others he's a no-good code-theiving crapweasel. most have an opinion somewhere in between

that ISO is outdated. unless you're very lucky the setup defaults will break your tivo. what's worse, it may not self destruct for days, weeks or even months

everything you need to know is in the (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

you may get some help if you ask specific questions about things you don't understand

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    vince, sleeper is a bit of a sore point here. to some he's a mistreated martyr, to others he's a no-good code-theiving crapweasel. most have an opinion somewhere in between

that ISO is outdated. unless you're very lucky the setup defaults will break your tivo. what's worse, it may not self destruct for days, weeks or even months

everything you need to know is in the (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

you may get some help if you ask specific questions about things you don't understand
    Okay, I've gotten the feeling not to use Sleeper ISO. I want tytyty to apoligize for calling me a troll and blasting me like that. I'm sorry I haven't been a member for as long as most of you. I don't know all of these things. I think I'll just wait for Tivo To Go to come out. Is that a good idea? I'm having second thoughts about hacking my Tivo. What kind of anti-piracy restrictions is it going to have? I want it to let me burn DVDs that I can watch on all regular DVD players and to watch the shows on my computer. I know I'll be able to that and burn the DVDs using the software they'll sell. Any other news out there? I know its coming out this fall, so it is pribably going to be very soon. Still no release date?
    Last edited by vince; 10-19-2004 at 01:36 AM. Reason: typo

I'm sorry I haven't been a member for as long as most of you. I don't know all of these things. I think I'll just wait for Tivo To Go to come out. Is that a good idea?
    Yes, you've just stopped in a little too early.

Tivo-To-Go should solve your issues and will probably enable you to move your tivo recorded video around to any device that you want.

Don't waste your time with anything you can learn on this board, tivo and the RIAA have decided to give customers what they want.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

vince

I apoligize for the troll comment it came out due to your low post count, calling the Tivioscripts iso "Sleepers" and your question regrding his banishment. There are quite a few "developers" who jumped all over Sleeper for developing another hack and releasing before they did , Enough said on that front.

rc3105 is correct there are a few things "broken" in the Tivoscripts, unfortunetly Sleeper was banned before he could release a new version with fixed locations and support for the rid units. Most all of the "broken" pieces can be fixed with a few changes.

Take a look at the thread read through some of the issues other people had and be prepared to make changes after running the scripts. There are still people who do support there.
    Ma l'italiano benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by tytyty
    unfortunetly Sleeper was banned before he could release a new version with fixed locations and support for the rid units. Most all of the "broken" pieces can be fixed with a few changes.
    nothing stopping him from fixing the image, it's not actually hosted on dd

unless it's fixed or someone steps up to handle support the main thread is likely to get downgraded quite a bit further than "deprecated"

nothing stopping him from fixing the image, it's not actually hosted on dd

unless it's fixed or someone steps up to handle support the main thread is likely to get downgraded quite a bit further than "deprecated"
    PlainBill has been helping. I have noticed that since the Deprecated tag was hung on the title more people are asking questions outside that thread...
    Ma l'italiano benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry

There are quite a few "developers" who jumped all over Sleeper for developing another hack and releasing before they did
    People disagreed with Sleeper for taking freely available code which was not intended for an "iso" release, erasing the credits and documentation, slapping his name on it, and whoring it out to the masses (with no support or bug fixes, no less). He developed nothing new, and in fact did not even understand how several major elements of TivoScripts worked.

This is unrelated to the ban, and in fact his attempts at scripting earned him several "second chances" that a non-contributor would not have gotten.

vince: I hope you can see why this is a sore subject. Because of the actions of one renegade, a lot of software posted here now carries disclaimers and/or strict licenses as an attempt to curb the future abuse of trust. This community will never be as open or as trusting as it was a year ago.

I have noticed that since the Deprecated tag was hung on the title more people are asking questions outside that thread...
    I think you're right. Another sticky in the newbie forum might be in order, to direct users to the proper venue.

<SNIP>
    I resent that statement. I've been trying to answer all support questions for TiVoScripts as they come up. If you feel my effors are inadequate, tell me directly.

I've said this over and over: TiVoScripts has a number of shortcomings which Sleeper failed to correct. (tytyty, in view of the fact that many months had elapsed without any updates to TiVoScripts, I feel it's misleading to say Sleeper was prevented from updating it). I realise moderators have to read all posts, but NOBODY is forced to support TiVoScripts. If a moderator does not feel they can adequately answer a question - DON'T. As rc3105 pointed out, all issues with TiVoScripts are covered in the support thread.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.